Self pollinate a clone only- is it really the same strain?

• Thread starter Jumpingspider
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

If someone takes a clone only strain and uses colloidal silver to produce a self pollinated seed, does that seed carry the same genetics of its parent or does the seed have its own DNA that differs from the original clone only cut?

growsince79

growsince79

If someone takes a clone only strain and uses colloidal silver to produce a self pollinated seed, does that seed carry the same genetics of its parent or does the seed have its own DNA that differs from the original clone only cut?
They will likely be very similar not identical.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

They will likely be very similar not identical.
That's what I figured. I think there's a lot of bs seeds that claim to be a stain but they are actually selfed clones.

Then people try to breed in auto genetics and keep the strain name...how tf can an auto possibly be the same as a clone only strain? That's crazy to me.

RookieBuds

RookieBuds

It's probably why such "clone only" varieties like, let's say GG4, almost anyone would say "it's not like the shit I used to get, but it's close". And it's available as fem seeds now pretty much everywhere. That's probably why. Close, but not identical 🤷‍♂️

RookieBuds

RookieBuds

That's what I figured. I think there's a lot of bs seeds that claim to be a stain but they are actually selfed clones.

Then people try to breed in auto genetics and keep the strain name...how tf can an auto possibly be the same as a clone only strain? That's crazy to me.
I would hope a truly reputable place would hunt the closest thing they could find to "oldschool Trainwreck" then cross it with their in-house auto parent. .?? But even then still it's probably all done by feel, like it's the one THEY think, or someone at their company thinks, oldschool whatever smelled and tasted like. ...

Moshmen

Moshmen

No regulation - no trademarks= anyone can make anything and call anything they want makes buying high dollar genetics a little scary cuz ya just never know

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

I would hope a truly reputable place would hunt the closest thing they could find to "oldschool Trainwreck" then cross it with their in-house auto parent. .?? But even then still it's probably all done by feel, like it's the one THEY think, or someone at their company thinks, oldschool whatever smelled and tasted like. ...
Cross breeding a selected pheno into an auto would absolutely bastardize the genetics. I don't care how close the breeder says they got to the original strain.

To get an auto of any strain you literally need to cross it with a ruderalis (aka hemp) plant. Disgusting.

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

Yep and backcrosses are known for changes in complex traits like disease resistance and time of flowering onset as well as reduced vigor compared with the original.

Once an original F1 seed is gone, find a clone or move on imho.

Top Bottom