• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Sen. Webb puts marijuana legalization 'on the table'
David Edwards and Stephen C. Webster
Published: Thursday April 23, 2009

Speaking to CNN on Thursday morning in an effort to whip up political support for his prison reform proposals, Senator Jim Webb (D-VA) insisted that marijuana legalization should be "on the table."

His bill, introduced late March, aims to establish a presidential commission to study prison reforms and drug criminalization and make recommendations to Congress after 18 months.

Senator Webb's bill is backed by Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA) and has reportedly received "quiet encouragement from President Barack Obama."

Some other stated supporters of Sen. Webb's reform proposals "include the current Judiciary panel head, Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) and the No. 2 Democrat in the Senate, Richard J. Durbin of Illinois," noted the Times-Dispatch.

Advocacy group Law Enforcement Against Prohibition has also posted an electronic petition form in support of the Webb commission.

"With so many of our citizens in prison compared with the rest of the world, there are only two possibilities: Either we are home to the most evil people on earth or we are doing something different--and vastly counterproductive," wrote Sen. Webb in a March 29 editorial in Parade. "Obviously, the answer is the latter."

As a means of addressing the "national disgrace" -- as Webb says -- that is the US prison system, initial reports on the bill indicated that its authors intended for drug criminalization to be part of the study.

"Would you support perhaps legalizing marijuana?" asked CNN's Kiran Chetry on Thursday morning.

"I think what we need to do is to put all the issues on the table," said Sen. Webb. "You're correct: if you go back to 1980 as a starting point, I think we had 40,000 people in prison on drug charges and today we have about a half a million of them. A great majority of those are non-violent crimes, possession crimes or minor sales.

"At the same time, we've got a situation with Mexican drug cartels conducting violence along the border, operating in 230 American cities, and we aren't getting our arms around that in a proper way so, we need to put it on the table. That's why we need a presidential commission to look at these things -- people who have high stature in these career areas -- and to report to the Congress on the best way to go forward. But, nothing should be off the table."

"And that includes, as you were saying, possibly looking at legalization?" asked Chetry.

"Well, I think they should examine every aspect of drug policy to see what's working and what's not working ..." said Sen. Webb.

This video is from CNN's American Morning, broadcast Apr. 23, 2009.

The following video was published to YouTube by Sen. Webb's staff on March 30, 2009.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WRc8LPMe4I[/YOUTUBE]

Source:

K

keyplay

I personally commend any lawmaker who has the courage to focus on prisons and pot. Until now, any pro-legalization concept by a lawmaker has been labeled "political suicide".
Time For A Change!

A

Alekiboy

You need to change the Arlen Specter (R-PA) to (D-PA) :)

K

kill-9

"With so many of our citizens in prison compared with the rest of the world, there are only two possibilities: Either we are home to the most evil people on earth or we are doing something different--and vastly counterproductive," wrote Sen. Webb in a March 29 editorial in Parade. "Obviously, the answer is the latter."

I really really liked these lines, it sounds so simple but it's sweet as fuck. I'm gonna try to get this information out.

S

Snookster

It's very obvious that places like Spain & Amsterdam do NOT have problems with their people becoming POT HEADS & craming their prisons full of soft-drug users...Folks, it's only a matter of time b4 the U.S. wakes up to the simple fact that marijuana is the PEOPLES choice of drug, just like alcohol was back in the days of prohibition. It's the BIG MONEY in the U.S. that does not want it legalized! But guess what.....IT'S GONNA HAPPEN BABY!!!!!!!:D

M

monkey5

Premium Member
Supporter
Snookster, yes! i agree! monkey5

M

mr.red

Soon everyone will be on the pot band-wagon.. pot wagon?... pogon?

anyway..

woo!

W

wantaknow

in the 80s there was an endless supply of fed moneys ,now we are bankrupt because they got paid to lock up 1/2 a million peeps ,they dont wont to work for free now ,and its costing them money instead of making them money so time to or get a bail out ,funny choice of words ,bail out ,it what they say when a plane is going to crash .or aa boat is going to sink ,or you need out of jail ,eather way you look at it none of them ever fix the problem it just saves your butt,biut when the plane hits the ground it is called collateral damage and is just excepted

Latest posts

Top Bottom