Sensi: Northern Lights #5 x Haze

• Thread starter Solidopc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Solidopc

Solidopc

Just ordered some of the sensi fem NL#5/Haze seeds. I have allways wanted to grow the original of this cross, and am mega-excited at finally getting the chance. I grew cheap positronics ones years back and they were very good, so i am expecting big things from these ones.

Problem i have is this. It says on the sensi write up for this strain, that cuttings/seedlings can be flowered right away after rooting/germination and still reach 1-1.5 metres in height.

It's not that that is too tall for me, but i most certainly want to take cuttings from the plants to look for a mother, but am not sure how i am going to do this.

Here are the two ways i can think of, neother of which i am very fond of.

1) Veg the plants until large enough for cuttings, take them, root them, and flower the cuttings and bin the seedplants. Seems such a waste of the seedplant though, and time.

2) Flower the seedlings soon after germination, and take cuttings off them once they are large enough, but in flower. I don't like this way, as i don't take cuts from flowering plants, and am not sure if they will root, or if it will upset the flowering plant at all.

With the last NL/Haze i grew, the plants about tripled, bit more on some phenos. I can handle a plant up to 3.5feet tall, 4 feet would be absolute max. So i was thinking i could veg them to about 8-10 inches, grab the cuttings and flower and end up with plants around the 3-4 foot mark.

But with sensi saying newly germinated seedlings and rooted cuttings can reach 1-1.5 metres tall, i am not so sure, and dont want to be caught with my pants down, so to speak, lol.

I am sure lots of the great growers and breeders here have grown this classic, and have some info on the strecth, and anything else about it, like expected flowering times, aroma etc, but mainly the stretch?

I've searched for info here and at other places, but can find buggar all on the stretch side of things, or even much detailed info about it. Please help! This is a big strain for me, been waiting to grow this for a long time and dont' want to feck it all up.

Peace and respect to all. Solid.

w00dy

w00dy

Premium Member
Supporter
you shouldn have a prob rooting flowering clones just takes a lil longer to root

M

Married2Mary

Premium Member
Supporter
Sensi's NL5/Haze that I scored in the mid 90's was some of the best all around herb I've smoked... Not sure though if the line has changed... I know that some of Sensi's lines have changed due to losing parental stock.. Just to name a few are MapleLeaf and G13Hashplant...

BC_Bud

BC_Bud

Premium Member
Supporter
1) Veg the plants until large enough for cuttings, take them, root them, and flower the cuttings and bin the seedplants. Seems such a waste of the seedplant though, and time.

Why would you have to toss the seedplants? would you have room to keep the females seedplants?

You could tie or cut them down to keep them short. The biggest waste in my eyes would be to not keep a mother or clones from the best female, and you can only know wich is best after youy smoke'm :)

Solidopc

Solidopc

How do you know for sure those strains have changed, and they have lost the parents? Where did you get thisd info? I've heard people say they think that might have happend, as some strains don't seem the same, but at Sensi they deny this as internet nonsense.

As for NL#5/Haze. If they still have the parents, which i am sure they should still have. I mean, surely they backed these cuts up with many growers, and many still have these cuts. There seems no need to change or mix something else into it, as the cross has been great since it started with just those two plants used. So messing with it would seem silly.

Solidopc

Solidopc

Why would you have to toss the seedplants? would you have room to keep the females seedplants?

You could tie or cut them down to keep them short. The biggest waste in my eyes would be to not keep a mother or clones from the best female, and you can only know wich is best after youy smoke'm :)

I only run a small perpetual, and don't want my nice even canopy messed up by having two plants a couple of feet taller than the rest. That is the reason i would toss the seedplants if they became too big.

I will most definately be keeping a mother from the best female, no doubt about it. It's just a question of getting the cuttings without ruining my canopy in the flower room by having to raise the light a few feet above most plants.

I will definately be topping them. Not sure about tying, as i don't have too much room for them to be bending sideways. So it looks like it's going to be a case of flowering them as soon as possible once i've taken cuttings, and if they get too big, i'll have to ditch them, and run the cuts as soon as they root to find the keeper.

Not sure if the stretch is going to be as bad as the sensi write up, i hope not anyway. As i am going to definately be vegging them bigger than a seedling.

budboy

budboy

Got a good friend who has grown NL5/Haze for the last 12 years, he has just bought 3 new packs to see if he can find a new mother so i guess we will see if there the same or not.
On the stretch question sensi have told you right, rooted clones straight into 12/12 for a 4-5 foot plant.Yields like crazy and is primo smoke.My friend says the longer flowering ladies are the keepers for the quality of high :cool0041:

C

captain.koons

I hope they work out for you.

IMHO Sensi has gone to shit, lots of growers get 0 germ rates, then get refunded with seeds that also get 0 germ rates. Threads that go up about such a topic get deleted.

I really want to get Sensi JackHerer, NL#5/Haze, NL, Marley's Collie but can't be hucking away hundreds of bucks for nothing.

I

ismokepot

Alot of Sensi's items HAVE changes over the years caused by the introduction of fresh genetics, or so I've been told. Alot of their items grew "stale". But i can't say anything specifically regarding the NL #5/Haze. But, years ago I remember these grew very tall for me and took a long time to finish up but A+ smoke.......

R

rikjaardreal

sensi seeds have definatly gone to shit in my opinion !!!
i used to swear by them but in recent years i've had some disapointments for sure !

barneys farm done/do a good nl5x haze !

go for the sensi seeds pure nl5 which they .....................
"crossed with a haze to improve the high" ...................
proving things have changed over the years ! ! !

that is closer to what you want !
there nl5 x haze was far more haze than anything else !

probably best getting something off here from a loyal and dedicated grower/breeder from the underground ! expensive full page ads in grow mags aren't in the price and you'll get back up/advice and info galore !

peace to one and all !

T

Trillion

why not keep the seed plants as mothers and flower the rooted clones?
im looking forward to this one as ive also heard mixed reviews on recent sensi products
and im especially intrested in nl5/haze

W

wantaknow

capt koons is right ,i just tried to pop a 10 pack of sensi northern lights ,and not one opened up,what a waste of money,the 4 pack from female seeds all cracked in 36 hrs ,this is the second time for me with sensi ,ill stick to good ol ak48 as a staple ,price is good quality is great

T

thumbnailgreen

How do you know for sure those strains have changed, and they have lost the parents? Where did you get thisd info? I've heard people say they think that might have happend, as some strains don't seem the same, but at Sensi they deny this as internet nonsense.

As for NL#5/Haze. If they still have the parents, which i am sure they should still have. I mean, surely they backed these cuts up with many growers, and many still have these cuts. There seems no need to change or mix something else into it, as the cross has been great since it started with just those two plants used. So messing with it would seem silly.

they have lost most of thier stock from neville most of there stuff is of poor quaility now adays if you want good haze go to mr nice neville is breeding there now with all the origanal stuff from the 80's and 90's

chadkush

chadkush

Me and my brother grew them in 2007 and out of 30 we had 6 keeper girls and the smoke was couchlock we grew them 75 days and resin was great. We found the g13 pheno in mr nice g13. Have they really gone down hill that fast? After they went to 10 packs in seeds they got bad reviews. They should go back to 15 seeds per pack thoe.

J

justinpenn

Just ordered some of the sensi fem NL#5/Haze seeds. I have allways wanted to grow the original of this cross, and am mega-excited at finally getting the chance. I grew cheap positronics ones years back and they were very good, so i am expecting big things from these ones.

Problem i have is this. It says on the sensi write up for this strain, that cuttings/seedlings can be flowered right away after rooting/germination and still reach 1-1.5 metres in height.

It's not that that is too tall for me, but i most certainly want to take cuttings from the plants to look for a mother, but am not sure how i am going to do this.

Here are the two ways i can think of, neother of which i am very fond of.

2) Flower the seedlings soon after germination, and take cuttings off them once they are large enough, but in flower. I don't like this way, as i don't take cuts from flowering plants, and am not sure if they will root, or if it will upset the flowering plant at all.

With the last NL/Haze i grew, the plants about tripled, bit more on some phenos. I can handle a plant up to 3.5feet tall, 4 feet would be absolute max. So i was thinking i could veg them to about 8-10 inches, grab the cuttings and flower and end up with plants around the 3-4 foot mark.

But with sensi saying newly germinated seedlings and rooted cuttings can reach 1-1.5 metres tall, i am not so sure, and dont want to be caught with my pants down, so to speak, lol.

I am sure lots of the great growers and breeders here have grown this classic, and have some info on the strecth, and anything else about it, like expected flowering times, aroma etc, but mainly the stretch?

I've searched for info here and at other places, but can find buggar all on the stretch side of things, or even much detailed info about it. Please help! This is a big strain for me, been waiting to grow this for a long time and dont' want to feck it all up.

Peace and respect to all. Solid.
you will be disapointed for sure we grew three packs and didnt get one haze pheno if your looking for good haze look to nevils new strains they are the bomb everyone we grew had a wonderful haze taste and high and the yield was super. Nevil says they havent had the haze pheno in years they are just calling it haze still

fractal

fractal

Wow, what justin just wrote. Damn! Scandalous! For sure, now that Neville is back to work and his stuff is available there is really no reason to buy from sensi or greenhouse. Except maybe the black domina, if they use the same genetics. Killer strain that is, maybe some maple leaf indica also.

Top Bottom