Setting automated water system correctly

• Thread starter Skeggox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skeggox

Skeggox

So trying to dial in my watering. Here both of these pots are advertised as 3gal fabric pots. The brown is clearly bigger. I watered in 9 plants of the black pots. I'm guessing 2.5 gal pot at most. I've ran 6.5 gallons of solution and got 1.6 gallons of runoff over 2 hour period roughly being just under a 1/4 gallon runoff per pot. Does this seem about right being that it's barely a 2.5 gallon pot? The bigger brown pots will take a full gallon of water and have proper runoff hand watering.

Setting automated water system correctly
Skeggox

Skeggox

I will add that this is soil not hydro and that is rice hulls in the top of the pots. Seen where a guy done this to keep the top from drying so fast and helped with fungus gnats. Is there any one else running a watering system for soil?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Go by weight. When the pots are light then water again to saturate the media. Soil doesn’t need the frequency and should have a wet dry cycle

freezeland2

freezeland2

Go by weight. When the pots are light then water again to saturate the media. Soil doesn’t need the frequency and should have a wet dry cycle

Living soil doesn’t like a dry back. Kinda of balance between not saturating or letting it become to dry. About 100mb of moisture seems to be the happy spot for me using drippers on living soil.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Living soil doesn’t like a dry back. Kinda of balance between not saturating or letting it become to dry. About 100mb of moisture seems to be the happy spot for me using drippers on living soil.
I dont mean dry out its needs a dry back absolutely 100%. Without you will have symptoms of over watering. By light i do not mean dry, i mean the plants should have taken up some of the perched water table before watering.

If your speaking microbes then again it should not dry but must dry back they also need o2 which is quickly depleted when soil is kept to wet.

Thats not to say it doesn’t need moisture because it does and selecting the proper grow container and understanding your perched water table because the soil should not be drying out majorly in the top half before the plants are taking water from the water table….that is a correct pot size for the media and plant issue

Skeggox

Skeggox

I dont mean dry out its needs a dry back absolutely 100%. Without you will have symptoms of over watering. By light i do not mean dry, i mean the plants should have taken up some of the perched water table before watering.

If your speaking microbes then again it should not dry but must dry back they also need o2 which is quickly depleted when soil is kept to wet.

Thats not to say it doesn’t need moisture because it does and selecting the proper grow container and understanding your perched water table because the soil should not be drying out majorly in the top half before the plants are taking water from the water table….that is a correct pot size for the media and plant issue
I had plants I culled some in roots organic some fox farms. Roots organic took 4 solid weeks for the plant to start wilting bad. Fox farms 5 days to a week it was laid over. The ones in roots organic is still green I think lol.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I had plants I culled some in roots organic some fox farms. Roots organic took 4 solid weeks for the plant to start wilting bad. Fox farms 5 days to a week it was laid over
Yeah it just depends on how much they are uptaking and the water content it holds to begin with

Skeggox

Skeggox

I assume this isn't an issue but is there anything wrong with stretching the watering out 8 hrs or so to make sure it's saturated properly?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I assume this isn't an issue but is there anything wrong with stretching the watering out 8 hrs or so to make sure it's saturated properly?
Depends as long it doesn’t stay saturated. It’s important for gas exchange. Its really hard ti say because the water table, media and many other factors can impact that

Top Bottom