Severe Root Rot

• Thread starter TALLDOG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cort

Cort

If it was me, Id ignore the haters and keep reading all the hydro threads I could to try and understand how/why root rot happens and how to prevent. Some real pros here.

In My humble, non hydro guy opinion, the huge swings in ph and that you are not tracking your temps means YOU are the cause of your root rot. I am guessing you have been doing some major reading in the hydro sections and will notice one constant. The hydro guys that have great results are bang on top of the water environment. Temps, ph, and EC are precisely controlled. They dont swing from 5.6 - 7.? ph and 64 degrees to 72ish.

PS: calling out good growers like mastacheeser for liking a post is a great way to get less help, not more. You should probably read some of his threads.

TALLDOG

TALLDOG

Thanks Cort... Appreciate your input. Scorched earth policy. One of my character flaws.
I've read a lot of threads, and use the search engine prior to asking questions.
Have had two runs and both were overall successes (IMO)... I know there are some tweaks that would bring it to
the next level, and am working those issues.
I have a full time job so some automation is required for me to be able to control all the variables. Water temp will be the next
upgrade.
Seems like backing off all the additives has stabilized my PH some... no where near the + - .3* range...
Not sure what is going to be the solution with that issue?
Have read and followed all the advice provided...
running RO... with 20% tap water
and my ph still rises to 7.1 from 5.8 in less than 24 hours.
Have heard that rock wool can cause ph to climb?
Will most likely go to "brand new nutrients" on my next run.
the noots I'm using are an unknown as far as age... they could be as
old at 2.5 years? ... at least 1.5 years old. Were not stored in a "cool" place.
I stumbled into my grow kit, and am using the stuff that came with it.

Gifted0ne

Gifted0ne

If it was me, Id ignore the haters and keep reading all the hydro threads I could to try and understand how/why root rot happens and how to prevent. Some real pros here.

In My humble, non hydro guy opinion, the huge swings in ph and that you are not tracking your temps means YOU are the cause of your root rot. I am guessing you have been doing some major reading in the hydro sections and will notice one constant. The hydro guys that have great results are bang on top of the water environment. Temps, ph, and EC are precisely controlled. They dont swing from 5.6 - 7.? ph and 64 degrees to 72ish.

PS: calling out good growers like mastacheeser for liking a post is a great way to get less help, not more. You should probably read some of his threads.

I've been using Plant Cleanse by skunk labs hc (or horticulture which ever it is) and it took care of my mites and mildew, so they have this other product worth looking into called Root Assist. Haven't used it myself but looks promising and about as simple as it gets. On the their facebook it there's ads saying "Root Rot and Brown Slime Algae reversing power".. Try it out and let me know

Pancho-N-Lefty

Pancho-N-Lefty

Physan 20 (24hours)
UC Roots (untill rebound)
Caps Nutes - Foliar & Roots (clean system refresh)
All this after sterilizing the system completely.
Including washing the roots as best you can, I may suggest doing some H2O2 drenching first before the Physan (@no more than 1-2ml/gal of 35% H2O2)
from the research I have done any way.
I am in the middle of trying SM90 and getting my temps dialed in then will be running fresh on the above.

I have tried Ancient forest Teas with no luck as my problem was to agressive at the time.
H2O2 doesnt fix the problem.
You need to keep the solution Aerobic and full of oxygen.
High anerobic and low O2 with higher rez temps & light leekage = the best breeding ground for Bacteria.

Make sure your solution is an inch or 2 below your net pots so you dont over saturate your media in the pots as well.

65-68* Temp is best ( think below ground temps in nature) Sure some people say they have better success either above or below that but when in doubt remember how Mother Nature works.

as noted above... flaming at members isnt the best way to get pro help. They wont waste their time on it.
Good Luck & keep us posted on your results.

PnL

Gifted0ne

Gifted0ne

You can do what is said above or just rinse off your roots with regular R.O. water, you can dip them and just rub the roots with your fingers.. Dont use any sterilizers because it will harm the microbes. Use the Root Assist from skunk labs horticulture and follow their instructions. U dont need a million steps the right product with good directions is all you need. Go to there site and read through the process on info page. With Microbe such as Root Assist dont even worry about ur water temp.

Been through this all with pretty much every product, i know what works. The Root Assist stuff is the cheapest product out of all the chemicals Pancho just listed, which most of those chemicals harm the roots. No offense, I know people use it but there's better ways.

People that dont have luck with microbe tea are just making a mistake somewhere because it's the key. Tested and tried. ;)

Pancho-N-Lefty

Pancho-N-Lefty

@ GiftedOne where can you find that product? im searching and can only find a handful of eastern or southern turf companies that dont even list it in their catalogues?
Thnks

PnL

Top Bottom