sexing while still in veg?

• Thread starter joehank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
joehank

joehank

How is this done, or does it really depend on the strain? I feel like I've been doing this the long way...taking a cutting, waiting for roots, putting it in 12/12, then waiting for the pistils...all this after waiting for it to be big enough to take a cutting( talking about starting from seed). How do you guys do this? Is there a better way?

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

well starting from seed solely and not taking cuts/ re running stuff will add some time...

i used to recall you didnt have to even wait for them to root, you could just toss em in 12/12.

or put a bag over a branch, and take a look in 10 days.

or you could just veg em out and wait for pre flowers, thats usually an indicator that they are mature enough anyways....

ultimately - time is of the essence, but patience is even more of a nail biter here. if your keen to even see the sex for 2 weeks, lol i remember my days where i'd be like that, then i'd chop in like week 7 cause they looked "good enough" lololol i was so dumb hahaha.

patience is where its at man. but throw a cut in 12/12 without it rooting, that should save some time. it should live long enough to show, but i'd take 2 just in case.

Chobble

Chobble

There are ways to sex the plant very early on. Generally when they are about a month or two old you can look for pre-flowers with a 30x lense. It takes a lot of practice and someone teaching you how to do it. Look up early sexing. Generally like 1-3 days of 12-12 they flower. You could also put them in complete darkness for 24 hours and they'll show sex most of the time.

Chobble

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I sex my Plants super early.. After they sprout I put them in2 18oz beer cups I leave them in the cups 4 about a month by then the plants would get rootbound & a Lil stressed when they get rootbound they will revile there sex.. It stresses the plant a bit so if u don't fully know what ur doing I wouldn't recommend trying this way.. But if u know what ur doing its a good way 2 sex them.. The stress sets them back a Lil bit but I don't mind loosing a week that's way better then wasting my time growing a few gaint males..

marski420

marski420

I sex my Plants super early.. After they sprout I put them in2 18oz beer cups I leave them in the cups 4 about a month by then the plants would get rootbound & a Lil stressed when they get rootbound they will revile there sex.. It stresses the plant a bit so if u don't fully know what ur doing I wouldn't recommend trying this way.. But if u know what ur doing its a good way 2 sex them.. The stress sets them back a Lil bit but I don't mind loosing a week that's way better then wasting my time growing a few gaint males..

I love this reply because it explains why my most plants showed me sex already.. I let them get pretty root bound this round.. just over a month when I transplanted from 1 litre pots and most showed me pre flowers on the day I transplanted.

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Most of my plants have shown sex after 4 weeks or so sometimes a little earlier (from first set of true leaves). The only ones that don't really show sex until they flower are the landrace sativas I've grown. Those ones take about 3 weeks into flower before you can even see what looks like a pre-flower. I hate it when that happens.. 7 weeks to find out you grew out a bunch of males, not the greatest use of time in the world.

skuzz99

skuzz99

i like this method. better to lose a smal amount of time to save urself wasting a heap of it on growing males.

AustinHaze

AustinHaze

How is this done, or does it really depend on the strain? I feel like I've been doing this the long way...taking a cutting, waiting for roots, putting it in 12/12, then waiting for the pistils...all this after waiting for it to be big enough to take a cutting( talking about starting from seed). How do you guys do this? Is there a better way?

Has anybody tried putting a blue LED light on 18/6 in the corner of the room while doing 12/12 with cfl or mh. Seems to keep my plants vegging nicely and still shows sex quickly with no problems reverting.​

joehank

joehank

And then they go back to veg in a bigger container, or would you start to take cuttings and put them in veg?

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

And then they go back to veg in a bigger container, or would you start to take cuttings and put them in veg?

There in veg the whole time I do this.. I veg under 24 hrs light.. After I sex them I transplant the girls in2 1 gal pots

marski420

marski420

There in veg the whole time I do this.. I veg under 24 hrs light.. After I sex them I transplant the girls in2 1 gal pots

I wanna add that topping my plants around the 3-4 week mark in the small containers may have also added a bit of stress to help them show sex.. right where I topped them is where I seen all my pre-flowers so I thought Id throw that out there.

joehank

joehank

Ok, sounds good. I will have to figure out a way to do this because I veg in an Ebb n Gro. The only seeds I grew was S.A.G.E. feminized, so I automatically assumed they would all be females. Popped them and put them in soil and kept the 3( out of 5) that survived as moms. One of them I let get big then I flowered her. The others I would keep taking clones from. At some point after about 10 - 12 cycles ( I was running perpetual), I started getting hermies and lots of seeds. ( will these seeds also be hermies?) I attributed this to a light leak in my flower room. I must have missed some male flowers because the whole room was infected towards the end.
So for my next adventure in hydro, I'll be constructing some DoubleD type MPB's. My lids will be adapted to hold the Ebb n Gro inner pots so I can keep using what I have for vegging. My biggest lesson learned so far is to really label every clone so I know where it came from. I never was into " phenos" back then, I thought the clones would always be the same as the mom. Thanks for the advice guys..

Latest posts

Top Bottom