shade cloth ?'s

• Thread starter 420Gator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420Gator

420Gator

its been a while since Ive been around but hopefully Ill be beack to growing in a month or two. previously I only grew indoor but this time around I really wanna do greenhouse and Ive got a couple questions about shade cloth....

I live in the high desert in socal btw

which type/color would be best for the summer? should I use shade cloth only or in addition to clear poly wrapping? Ill probly use a swamp cooler when its hot

were going into winter soon so should I even use shadecloth at all when its cold?

Chobble

Chobble

Ummm. This is an interesting question. I've been thinking about it recently as well. I now see this thread is about two months old, but instead of starting a new thread. Maybe Ill attract people here and gator will finally get his answer?

Shade cloths are used in the horticultural world to create larger leaves and bushier plants, Now in the high desert the heat/lumens probably could have a negative effect on cannabis, So yes you can lower your cooling costs by using a shade cloth. I would probably only use it during veg though, and not flower as I want the plant to receive as much light during flowering as possible. I also dont want leafs growing a lot during flower so that kind of throws it out.

Poly covering will be a bitch to heat and cool, I dont think temperature control will really be a worry until maybe September/October?

Side thoughts:
Test for lumens on site to see if I really need to limit the light?

Just a stoned chobble insight. I started thinking about this in class the other day.

Chobble

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Dont know which valley you are in gator,AV or VV but i can tell you shadecloth or plywood is a dead giveaway to LEO from the air,more peeps were taken down this year by spotting those two things from the air than any other way.Its total bullshit but sbdo will not even allow you to cultivate the legal number of plants outside so stealth is really important,i dont even do outdoor anymore but hope to one day again.Also its really only viable in season in the high des in a greenhouse as the temps fluctuate wildly,24 degrees last night and 74 today,thats a 50 degree swing!Dont get me wrong it can be done but it aint easy!

420Gator

420Gator

chobble thanks for breathing some life into this thread.

Im gonna veg inside under a 1k and yea I was thinking I may only use the cloth when its hottest outside

fishwhistle Im basically in between the two places u mentioned just inside LA county. I see lots of "normal" GHs and Ive got a great spot on my 2.5 acres to stash a 10x15 (surrounded by trees) but I was also thinking I may only grow from march-oct. not only am I in the desert Im also maybe 1000 yards from a mountain so the temp fluctuations can be crazy

maybe Ill just do this vert scrog with the 1k I been dreaming up in my head

thanks for the replies fellas

Chobble

Chobble

chobble thanks for breathing some life into this thread.

Im gonna veg inside under a 1k and yea I was thinking I may only use the cloth when its hottest outside

fishwhistle Im basically in between the two places u mentioned just inside LA county. I see lots of "normal" GHs and Ive got a great spot on my 2.5 acres to stash a 10x15 (surrounded by trees) but I was also thinking I may only grow from march-oct. not only am I in the desert Im also maybe 1000 yards from a mountain so the temp fluctuations can be crazy

maybe Ill just do this vert scrog with the 1k I been dreaming up in my head

thanks for the replies fellas

Something you may want to try is a vertical SOG on the Northern wall of your GH during the winter, Since no light comes through there.

I feel like shade cloth shouldnt be reasonable cause for the police to raid a greenhouse, A lot of my more legitimate greenhouse jobs have used shade cloth as I have never used shade cloth on cannabis. The Cannabis greenhouse's I currently work in though are expensive to cool at times so shade cloth may be a viable option.

Chobble

Top Bottom