Shatter Doesn't Shatter...

• Thread starter Spartacus314
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Spartacus314

Spartacus314

Ok everyone, I'm searching for a little wisdom. I've been making extracts for a while and have most of the process figured out. Now I would like to make some real shatter that is solid, not pull-n-snap(which is easy). This is something that I consider a challenge! I've done a bunch of runs using good quality material and so far it's all come out like taffy or softer. I'm using a heat-vac at 100 then 105 after the 'action' stops. These are surface temps of the heat-vac and I usually purge for 2-3 hours at a time for 10-12 hours. What I'm wondering is should I purge longer? Should I adjust the temp? Should I dehydrate the material first! And, how much does ambient humidity play a part in the process? Any and all help is pre-appreciated!

waxman

waxman

Ok everyone, I'm searching for a little wisdom. I've been making extracts for a while and have most of the process figured out. Now I would like to make some real shatter that is solid, not pull-n-snap(which is easy). This is something that I consider a challenge! I've done a bunch of runs using good quality material and so far it's all come out like taffy or softer. I'm using a heat-vac at 100 then 105 after the 'action' stops. These are surface temps of the heat-vac and I usually purge for 2-3 hours at a time for 10-12 hours. What I'm wondering is should I purge longer? Should I adjust the temp? Should I dehydrate the material first! And, how much does ambient humidity play a part in the process? Any and all help is pre-appreciated!

Hello Spartacus314, There is a thread on this. I posted my own way that I consistently produce Shatter. Let me find out how to post the thread link here. I will be back. Cheers! and welcome to the Farm!

waxman

waxman

IMG 6453
The process I use to get Shatter consistently.
I freeze both my tube and butane. (not sure if it helps make Shatter)
I blast into a ambient temperature Pyrex. (no heat)
Let sit for 30 min before adding the hot water bath. (my hot water never exceeds 100 degrees)
Let the Tane evaporate enough to bring indoors.
I then cover with plastic wrap and let set for 3-4 hrs.
I then put back on a 90 degree hot water bath and monitor my oil until it is 90 degrees.
I then set it in room temp. water for a few min to bring down my temp.
Then I scrape on to Parchment paper.
I put it in the Vac oven with no heat until the Muffin is not reacting.
Then I add heat of 95 degrees and watch it closely.
I slowly increase the heat, but never go over 115 degrees. (I usually get sap or honeycomb if I go higher.) I go low and slow. (115 is the outside temp of the chamber) I never go over 95 degrees on my oil.. Taking the temp
IMG 6453
from the inside.
After no more reaction in the vac, I take it out and flip the slab.
Back in the oven but, I put the slab in and let it get to 115 degrees before pulling my last vac.
Then I watch closely until finished.
This is just my method for constantly getting Shatter out of my product.
I hope it helps?
Here is a pic of some AK47

waxman

waxman

The thread is called Shatter issues, Please help Bro! Posted by Dbritish1. It is in the concentrate and processing threads. I wanted to give you the link but, I can not figure it out right now. Sorry, I'm still learning this forum thing. I hope it helps! Let me know if you have any questions?

W

Weedpaws

You can use a dewaxing column to get your tube super chilly. This help to trap the lipids and waxes in the bud because they have a higher solid temp form. Or winterize your end product. This can help.

W

Weedpaws

The colder your process will be the better it will help you to not extract the plant materials that you don't want in your oil.

gumby420

gumby420

my product got way more stable once i started full on dewaxing with a buchner funnel. blasting with cold temps helped, but after i have extracted the oil, ill take a mason jar full and place it in dry ice until it gets to -35 and then pour that through the buchner funnel. this and low oven temps is what made me start getting more stable shatter. although if its super terpy it will always come out less stable.

Spartacus314

Spartacus314

Hello Spartacus314, There is a thread on this. I posted my own way that I consistently produce Shatter. Let me find out how to post the thread link here. I will be back. Cheers! and welcome to the Farm!
Thanks, man! I will try doing it that way on my next run. Very cool. It occurred to me while reading that my temp may be too high. I'm using a heat-vac with digitally controlled temp. I've been setting it too 100-105 but that will bring the oil to that temp, too. I just got it, rooky mistake I guess!

M

Mr SG

your have to winterize if you want the same results each time. every strain can need different temp in the cls or blasting and different temp to purge to make shatter. making shatter without winterizing is way harder.

Dbritish1

Dbritish1

The thread is called Shatter issues, Please help Bro! Posted by Dbritish1. It is in the concentrate and processing threads. I wanted to give you the link but, I can not figure it out right now. Sorry, I'm still learning this forum thing. I hope it helps! Let me know if you have any questions?

Wax man knows his shit guys, he helped me out a lot. Cool dude with lot of knowledge. Thanks again bro

Spartacus314

Spartacus314

Thanks for the advise, everyone. I'm going at his alone with only the desire to make a safe/pure product and a basic knowledge of chemistry on my side so this is all pure gold to me. I am going to start winterizing on my next run. I'm going to try a buchner funnel/filter and vacuum pump combo first and see how that works. Has anyone tried this? Will I lose much oil if I do it that way?? Again, thanks in advance!

P

Phileblunt

View attachment 592791 The process I use to get Shatter consistently.
I freeze both my tube and butane. (not sure if it helps make Shatter)
I blast into a ambient temperature Pyrex. (no heat)
Let sit for 30 min before adding the hot water bath. (my hot water never exceeds 100 degrees)
Let the Tane evaporate enough to bring indoors.
I then cover with plastic wrap and let set for 3-4 hrs.
I then put back on a 90 degree hot water bath and monitor my oil until it is 90 degrees.
I then set it in room temp. water for a few min to bring down my temp.
Then I scrape on to Parchment paper.
I put it in the Vac oven with no heat until the Muffin is not reacting.
Then I add heat of 95 degrees and watch it closely.
I slowly increase the heat, but never go over 115 degrees. (I usually get sap or honeycomb if I go higher.) I go low and slow. (115 is the outside temp of the chamber) I never go over 95 degrees on my oil.. Taking the temp View attachment 592791 from the inside.
After no more reaction in the vac, I take it out and flip the slab.
Back in the oven but, I put the slab in and let it get to 115 degrees before pulling my last vac.
Then I watch closely until finished.
This is just my method for constantly getting Shatter out of my product.
I hope it helps?
Here is a pic of some AK47
Hey, i just recently got some "shatter" that's a lot softer then any other batches I've gotten, I don't make the stuff, but is there anyway to make that batch more likely to shatter

Top Bottom