Shine some light on me!

• Thread starter BearWater
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I’m getting ready to purchase a light! I have not made this decision lightly, lots of reading. One thing I cant get a lot of info on is the LIGHT CONTROLLERS. I want to get the Phlizon FD8000 and was recommended by another memeber to get the controller also. Can anyone explain to me like im a 5yr old what exactly this controller does? can you adjust each individual light spectrum? Or does it just make the light more dimibale friendly? Thank you reading and sorry if this is already out there in the forum. Didn’t see anything specifically on this topic. Thanks again!

N

Natep

How big of an area do you have. I run a luxx 645 led pro. It won’t fit in anything smaller than a 5x5.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
How big of an area do you have. I run a luxx 645 led pro. It won’t fit in anything smaller than a 5x5.
For now the the space will be 6x8 with hopes of finishing out the entire shed to its inside area of roughly 12x12.

N

Natep

You are going to want a large bar style led. Make sure it has Samsung lm301b or h diodes and is dimmable. A 12 x12 area you will probably be at 4 lights.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
You are going to want a large bar style led. Make sure it has Samsung lm301b or h diodes and is dimmable. A 12 x12 area you will probably be at 4 lights.
Thank you for this! I believe some of the Philzon have Samsung diodes just not sure the exact style. I’ll check it out.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Nate P SMD diodes? I swore I read somewhere the phlizon uses Samsung.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I think you want a certain number of watts per square foot of grow area. i’m not sure how many watts, but there are certain minimum’s you don’t want to go under. You can’t make them brighter but you can always dim them. and. I would go for overkill! I’ve never seen anyone say, damn, I wish I had a less powerful light!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I think you want a certain number of watts per square foot of grow area. i’m not sure how many watts, but there are certain minimum’s you don’t want to go under. You can’t make them brighter but you can always dim them. and. I would go for overkill! I’ve never seen anyone say, damn, I wish I had a less powerful light!
Yes I remember there being a “recommended number” which I thought I was going to get with the phlizon. But it does not have the lm301 diode rather lm281. I’m switching my purchase plans and will go with either spider farm or mars. Spending over 500 on a light makes me want exactly what I need and I am willing to spend a little more to get that : ) it looks like mars has a phone app also 🤷‍♂️ maybe I’ll be able to fine tune it without purchasing a controller. Still researching both brands.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I don’t grow indoors, but I’ve been watching people do it for four years now. I know you will do your due diligence! Watch out for Mars. In a lot of cases where their quality control hasn’t been up to snuff. Same with customer service. maybe they have cleaned it up! Just information gleaned from reading this forum! Can’t wait to see you cranking a 12 x 12! Yee Haa!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Thanks for the words of wisdom! I’ll definitely take all things into consideration! I can’t wait for that 12x12! I did dial back upon building due to sheer ignorance on my part and knowing better than to try to make it happen with what I got. Too much goes into something that size and IMO it isn’t worth doing if it isn’t done absolutely correct.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Just my 2 cents.....owned a Mars Hydro and had the electrical cord melt!! Found out a few others have too on the Farm
I won a Phlizon light on here for Cyber Monday....still have never received anything.
Check out my media for an idea of what the Spider Farmer lights can do!!
I vote Spider Farmer. 😉
So fire hazard is a phobia of mine, lol. will be checkin spider farmer out! Thanks for the change🪙

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Cyber Monday was quite a while ago! I would start rattling some cages! Hope they come through for you!

ACSippi

ACSippi

ANY light will work. Buy the cheapest one you can find, $35 Amazon Blurples will grow as good as a $1500 powerhouse. If you're on a budget take care of your enviroment first, that's where growers need to splurge, enviroment. Treat yourself to an overpriced light after you've grown a couple crops.

But I get it, ACs and Dehumidifiers arnt cool. You can grow great buds with a generic light but you  cant grow buds in a bad enviroment. Your dehumidifier should be the heart of your gro-op. Buy the best one you can afford.

Researching lights is the worst. Millions of opinions, millions of salesmen, millions of opinions by people that have only used one light and millions of first time growers heralding the brand they chose. Caught up in the hype.

If you're growing in a room as opposed to a closed tent, look into HID lights. They're cheap. They cost a little more to run but in the long run they're cheaper...it takes several  years to save money with LEDs and by that time they may turn toxic, burnt out diodes, or die leaving you buying another expensive light.

Example: say your HID costs $10 more a month to run (high estimate), that's $120 a year. How many years will it take to match the price of a new LED? 3 years for a cheap fancy LED like Spider Farmer or Mars. 9 years for an expensive LED and 15 years for a top of the line LED. Just something to think about.

Another thing to consider is LEDs don't have good light penetration like HIDs do (especially CMH). LEDs will grow buds at the top of the plant but struggle with the lowers and lower lowers. I'll add a pic of lowers grown under a HID if I have one. Then there's the heat rays, LEDs struggle to warm up your plant, that causes deficiencies. You'll need to run your whole grow room warmer, mid 80s to make up for it.

If you're confused about what I just typed just know that you don't need an expensive LED, a cheaper one is just as good.

I'm not here to argue I'm just being real. Do what you want with my information, that's your choice. Either way you'll grow some nice buds.

20231222 171804
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
ANY light will work. Buy the cheapest one you can find, $35 Amazon Blurples will grow as good as a $1500 powerhouse. If you're on a budget take care of your enviroment first, that's where growers need to splurge, enviroment. Treat yourself to an overpriced light after you've grown a couple crops.

But I get it, ACs and Dehumidifiers arnt cool. You can grow great buds with a generic light but you  cant grow buds in a bad enviroment. Your dehumidifier should be the heart of your gro-op. Buy the best one you can afford.

Researching lights is the worst. Millions of opinions, millions of salesmen, millions of opinions by people that have only used one light and millions of first time growers heralding the brand they chose. Caught up in the hype.

If you're growing in a room as opposed to a closed tent, look into HID lights. They're cheap. They cost a little more to run but in the long run they're cheaper...it takes several  years to save money with LEDs and by that time they may turn toxic, burnt out diodes, or die leaving you buying another expensive light.

Example: say your HID costs $10 more a month to run (high estimate), that's $120 a year. How many years will it take to match the price of a new LED? 3 years for a cheap fancy LED like Spider Farmer or Mars. 9 years for an expensive LED and 15 years for a top of the line LED. Just something to think about.

Another thing to consider is LEDs don't have good light penetration like HIDs do (especially CMH). LEDs will grow buds at the top of the plant but struggle with the lowers and lower lowers. I'll add a pic of lowers grown under a HID if I have one. Then there's the heat rays, LEDs struggle to warm up your plant, that causes deficiencies. You'll need to run your whole grow room warmer, mid 80s to make up for it.

If you're confused about what I just typed just know that you don't need an expensive LED, a cheaper one is just as good.

I'm not here to argue I'm just being real. Do what you want with my information, that's your choice. Either way you'll grow some nice buds.
Wow! Well said! I feel like I was reading something my father wrote hahaha! Thanks dad ; )

Your post makes absolute sense! You have definitely given me some food for thought, being that I’m slowing the build to my room due to funds, I’ll have more time to really piece it together. I was going to try and beat the heat and use the weather but in all reality I don’t think that’s going to happen. Saving for the correct climate equipment has just taken priority!

Oh and I do think AC’s are cool along with the humidity equipment, like you said though getting caught up in the led light show! I needed to read this! Thank you for your very thoughtful response. I do appreciate you taking the time. Any body have a recommendation for some quality HIDs?😝

ACSippi

ACSippi

Where are you growing? Closed tent, get an LED, open tent  any light will work as long as the tent is at least 80" high.

I say a $35 Amazon blurple will work because I watched a friend put 7½ ounces on an Auto Diesel, first time growing.

The thing with enviroment is it will destroy your harvest, a generic light wont.

For HIDs I'm sold on 315w CMHs but you can't go wrong with a bulletproof 250w or 400w HPS.

HPS bulbs are hella cheap $15 or so, CMH bulbs are close to $100 nowadays but you can find cheaper options that are tested and said to be as good as the Phillips bulbs.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Where are you growing? Closed tent, get an LED, open tent  any light will work as long as the tent is at least 80" high.

I say a $35 Amazon blurple will work because I watched a friend put 7½ ounces on an Auto Diesel, first time growing.

The thing with enviroment is it will destroy your harvest, a generic light wont.

For HIDs I'm sold on 315w CMHs but you can't go wrong with a bulletproof 250w or 400w HPS.

HPS bulbs are hella cheap $15 or so, CMH bulbs are close to $100 nowadays but you can find cheaper options that are tested and said to be as good as the Phillips bulbs.
It’ll be a 6x8 room within a shed made out of insulated foam board With 8’ ceiling. after doing a quick look on amazon i can get a few lights and maybe a inline fan! My only concern is the HPS are lacking in some of the spectrums (from what I read) is this something to be concerned about and how could I add the other spectrums?

ACSippi

ACSippi

Imho I categorize the LED spectrums as hype. And maybe not even viable spectrums. Sure a light can have a spectrum but is it effective or is it just the color? HIDs are the closest you're going to find to the actual sun but im not a scientist.

Example: many years ago green lights were a thing so people can turn them on during flower and do work in the dark. Turns out if it's not the right coating of green the plants think it's a regular white light. That's the whole reason I don't trust that spectrum talk. Until a legit scientist (not a salesmen) tells me LED spectrums are legit then I'll change my mind.

HPS ballasts are bulletproof. I still run one I bought in 2006 and have several more from the same timefeame in storage. Don't overthink it.

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

This is not great advice, cheap lights are fine but bluples are awful.
Find something in your price range and post it here before you buy. For large spaces the bar lights are the way to go.

Top Bottom