Shipping container grow room HELP

• Thread starter Tonystacks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tonystacks

Tonystacks

Hey guys I’ve been here clicking through countless pages but not finding much on shipping container grows. Also seems like my search bar can’t find any keywords related to the subject.
Let me say I’ve been growing for myself and others as a contractor builder for 5 years on light deps and outdoors, and a small amount of indoors.

My budget is pretty flexible as I am open to investing in good equipment that pays for itself.

I work for a custom shipping container company is the reason I will use this option. We build offices, cabins, bathrooms, you name it. So I have access to wholesale boxes for my personal use.

OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS

This design is a 20’ standard container, future use of 40’ container and possibly high cubes.

I am pretty set on my floor covering(Epoxy), framing(2x4), insulation(batt for convenience), and wall covering(PVC sheeting siliconed water tight).
Exterior will be painted white with a lean-to over the container to shade it and The interior will be a 1 room design as of now for veg/flower at 19’x7’ and upgrade in the future to multiple units.
I plan to set it up for 2 rows of 5 lights front to back, with a single custom table from front to back around 6’x 17’ with a slight slope to the back to collect run off. The table will roll from side to side to give me aisle on both sides and create one canopy.

Questions
1. What type of light would you guys recommend in a new build?
LED seems like the best choice for heat, maintenance, lifespan etc. I was thinking 10 Dimmable 600-800W fixtures.

2. After answering Q1 is the question of how much AC? From what I have gathered 1.5-2Ton or 18k-24k BTU Mini-Split should be enough to cool the room with LED?

3. Dehumidifier I was thinking between 150-200 PPD. Although I am still unsure of grow medium, I have grown only in soil but open to learn other mediums. I feel like it’s better safe then sorry and have a bigger unit

4. Electrical?
On our custom containers we typically have a 100-125amp panel with 6 spaces. Would something like this be proficient in the grow space? I am interested in running As many fixtures as possible on 240V to lower amperage, correct me if I am wrong.
Definitely need help creating a wiring schematic for this settup. My Idea, Can I run 10 Lights on 1 circuit or split it to 2 circuits of 5 lights? 1 circuit for 4-6 oscillating fans , 1 circuit for AC, 1 for dehumidifier, 1 circuit for work light, and pumps/ any misc assesories I need to run.

5. Not sure if I will run sealed I have no experience doing so. Having a filtered exhaust and intake seem much more simple although smell is not much of an issue might be a convenience. Open to suggestions on sizing duct style fans with filters.

If you guys are familiar with other shipping container post feel free to drop a link I’m having trouble finding much on related topics.
I want to build this 20’ I own out and then upgrade to 2 -40’ rooms next year, keep the 20’ for clone mom room, 1 or 1/2 a 40 for veg & 1+ 40’ container for flowering by next year. My goal is to create a “20 foot” system I can replicate easily and grow my operation and the rooms are moveable if I move property’s.

THANK YOU FOR ANY POSITIVE INFORMATION! Let’s have a good 2021
I will attach some photos of equipment I have grown interested in.

Shipping container grow room help
Shipping container grow room help 2
Shipping container grow room help 3
Shipping container grow room help 4
BigCube

BigCube

I'll preface this with: I have never run my own container grow. But I have seen a few in person and know a couple guys that run them. So I'm familiar with the concept, but have little actual experience.

1. Led for sure. I would personally go with a bunch of 240w quantum boards. But could also spend a bit more and get half as many 480w quantum bar type fixtures.

From there it's up to you, you want brand name for 2 or 3 times the price and no chance of a bulk deal. Or a lesser known but equally as good manufacturer for much less, and dealing with a sales rep who would love to give you a deal if you buy a lot.

2. Not sure what the weather is like where you are, but insulating the container is a good start. You need to remember in the summer, that container will heat up to an unreasonable temperature even without the lights. Insulation helps a lot, but depending where you live and your max temperatures you may want to over rate the AC like you are with the Dehumidifier.

3. I agree, a bit more than what you need is better.

4. Electrical, I would honestly bow out here. I would get my brother in law who is and electrician tell me what it needs. And for a constant flow of beer, he'll even do most the work. 🤣

5. Sealed. Sealed is easy, you already have all the equipment. Also if you plan on using co2 then you have to be sealed. Sealed is by far the best way to go. Otherwise You're talking BIG and very expensive and loud filters and fans.

Intake filters better be very good and kept clean otherwise you'll be dealing with all kinds of pests, pollens and molds.

Sorry I dint have any real definitive answers, but food for thought kinda stuff.

I have a friend who grows in a sealed 40', he has a sub room. The first 4 ft of the container is a room with a door to the main grow area. Most of his equipment is in there, ballasts, timers, breaker etc.. but also a small desk, computer, chair.. like an office. Most importantly, in that room is a small carbon filter and duct fan. Before he leaves the container, he shuts the sealed room door and turns on the the filter to clear out the little office area. So when he leaves, it doesnt smell. 🤣

Last edited:
Tonystacks

Tonystacks

I'll preface this with: I have never run my own container grow. But I have seen a few in person and know a couple guys that run them. So I'm familiar with the concept, but have little actual experience.

1. Led for sure. I would personally go with a bunch of 240w quantum boards. But could also spend a bit more and get half as many 480w quantum bar type fixtures.

From there it's up to you, you want brand name for 2 or 3 times the price and no chance of a bulk deal. Or a lesser known but equally as good manufacturer for much less, and dealing with a sales rep who would love to give you a deal if you buy a lot.

2. Not sure what the weather is like where you are, but insulating the container is a good start. You need to remember in the summer, that container will heat up to an unreasonable temperature even without the lights. Insulation helps a lot, but depending where you live and your max temperatures you may want to over rate the AC like you are with the Dehumidifier.

3. I agree, a bit more than what you need is better.

4. Electrical, I would honestly bow out here. I would get my brother in law who is and electrician tell me what it needs. And for a constant flow of beer, he'll even do most the work. 🤣

5. Sealed. Sealed is easy, you already have all the equipment. Also if you plan on using co2 then you have to be sealed. Sealed is by far the best way to go. Otherwise You're talking BIG and very expensive and loud filters and fans.

Intake filters better be very good and kept clean otherwise you'll be dealing with all kinds of pests, pollens and molds.

Sorry I dint have any real definitive answers, but food for thought kinda stuff.

I have a friend who grows in a sealed 40', he has a sub room. The first 4 ft of the container is a room with a door to the main grow area. Most of his equipment is in there, ballasts, timers, breaker etc.. but also a small desk, computer, chair.. like an office. Most importantly, in that room is a small carbon filter and duct fan. Before he leaves the container, he shuts the sealed room door and turns on the the filter to clear out the little office area. So when he leaves, it doesnt smell. 🤣

Hey good ideas I’ve thought about similar but out on the boonies smell isn’t an issue!
If you were able to get any photos of the settup that would be helpful!

Top Bottom