Should breeders add birth date and expiration date on seeds package?

• Thread starter TheCoolestMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Should breeders add birth date of seeds and expiration date on package?

• Yes! This is will be useful indeed.

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • No! Useless, no need of date.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

So true there buddy but I don't see nothing wrong with putting demands on products there is obviously a demand unmet so it's a different market if those breeders get offended and don't meet the demands they leave that market up for grabs

soserthc1

soserthc1

true personally i would if i made beans for sale , just a born on date but again there only beans and I would probably give away just as many as i sold and i'm sure most do and the one's here do . the ones that post the disclaimers are the big seed venders/wholesalers and I wouldn't personally deal with them so my opinion remains the same is it necessary no , would a born on date be nice yes - especially when i get that pack that says 1988 unknown kush

J

Jalisco Kid

Born on date would be nice,when they expire a breeder can not control. They should list the mothers and male they used with serial numbers. For example that first release of Rez of the strawberry diesel that was auctioned off had some serious genetics in there. Releases after that were not of the same quality. Same shit happened to swerve and reeferman. Lost their males and their crap when straight to the shitter. JK

entropy99

entropy99

I think a birth date would be good. An expiry date is more difficult. Maybe an estimated date where for the statement "viability may be reduced after this date" would be more useful?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Born on date would be nice,when they expire a breeder can not control. They should list the mothers and male they used with serial numbers. For example that first release of Rez of the strawberry diesel that was auctioned off had some serious genetics in there. Releases after that were not of the same quality. Same shit happened to swerve and reeferman. Lost their males and their crap when straight to the shitter. JK
And then all those seeds are named the same so it pretty much turns to false adverteisement with the new males......great point

Prince Blanc

Prince Blanc

Voted yes.
Had old seeds sent to me in the past which had zero viability. When I sent the supplier an email, they just blamed my technique, which was a load of crap. A harvest date would be useful, providing the seed supplier doesn't simply lie.

green punk

green punk

a deep freeze is the best way..whats bad for them is if; you freeze them while they still have moisture in them...the moisutre will expand to ice and dammage the seed inside the shell....or freezing and thawing and freezing...ect, once froz they should only be unthawed when being used.

golden rule of seeds; harringtons rule of thumb .... for every 1% of moisture you can remove, you double the seeds life span...heat and humidity are what damage the seeds.

The package can freeze and thaw 5 maybe 10 times just getting shipped to the end user. Or the other hand get cooked the same amount of times in the process of being shipped.

My $.02

budm

budm

Agricultural seed producers typically have full disclosure on their seed packs, including date of manufacture, lot #, etc. Additionally, they will state terms and conditions for replacement. (Ie - )

I can say that I've had 1,500 acres worth of Bell Pepper seeds replaced before, but not without a fight, and only after being able to prove a problem down to a particular lot#.

If the weed market ever follows the lead of Agriculture, expect that growers will have to document every aspect of every grow, as well as be prepared for surprise audits at any time. The production of food (and drugs) is regulated, although it's only been in recent years that demands of food safety and produce traceability have started becoming mainstream. In today's marketplace (of fresh produce) if a grower/packer/shipper is not third-party audited don't expect to sell your produce at a sustainable price because none of the Retailers, Wholesalers, Foodservice nor Processors will want it.

Think about it this way, if someone died while consuming the product you produced then who is responsible? Food safety programs are a PITA, but ultimately act as an umbrella of coverage for the grower. By being able to show, in a court of law, that YOU are not responsible because everything had been documented and used in accordance with label specifications and produced with generally accepted methods then you are directing the potential liability elsewhere. Lawyers always tend to go after perceived "deep pockets" but have to start with the growers.

Currently, there is a Produce Traceability Initiative being implemented that not only requires third-party audits but also requires specific information to be put onto each case. Said information allows the trace back to the grower, field, etc. Not unlike weed, fresh produce goes thru many hands before it ends up on the grocery store shelves. Contamination can occur anywhere along this path. Documenting your piece in this puzzle is the only way to avoid costly lawsuits, and potentially time behind bars, should a consumer die from eating your goods.

Sorry for getting a little off-topic, but if we ever expect weed to become legalized and mainstream, then issues like these will have to be addressed. This all starts from the seeds the growers use to produce their crops, so if I were a breeder I think I'd be looking at the commercial agriculture market and would follow their lead - all starting with labeling seed packs and documentation.

chikken

chikken

buy from reputable breeders and you don't really need a born on or expi. date. you should be getting fresh beans with an expected good germ rate without all of the labeling. I only ever buy from reputable breeders and so far have not been let down yet. I'm not claiming 100 % germ all the time. but it has been close enough.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
buy from reputable breeders and you don't really need a born on or expi. date. you should be getting fresh beans with an expected good germ rate without all of the labeling. I only ever buy from reputable breeders and so far have not been let down yet. I'm not claiming 100 % germ all the time. but it has been close enough.

Strains whores buy from a bunch of breeders. They collect strains and grow a lot of seeds. They need new strains to keep the level and stay up in this tuff competition. There's new breeders bringing the danks everyday and old ones that disappear due to legal issues or whatever. So the more infos the better. It is not only for germination purposes as mentioned already in this thread.

Nowadays we don't buy straight from breeders. We buy mostly from banks that deals with distributors that deals with breeders. Banks have disclaimer protecting them from poor germ rate or whatever. In this situation, only useful infos on package can help us.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter

Well they can have longevity test that will give them a periodic control date of seeds viability to germinate. As on tomato seeds pack:
germination is controlled periodically with laboratory reference sample until the date of sale specified.

Usually they are good for 3 years. Skilled growers can germ very old seeds though, but not everyone want to take 3 months to nurse a seed.

I really like the idea of tracing moms and dads! That would be professional A class.

StoneyPufnstuff

StoneyPufnstuff

Germination rate is usually very high in properly cared for cannabis seed, as a whole. What I would find more interesting is seeing real selection taking place, let's see all the plants you supposedly went through and culled to arrive at what you consider a standout plant, fit for breeding. Lets see something more than a simple bx, or a selfing, or a random cross. Let's see you take something to at least f4 before you start making hybrids with it. Prove you stabilized whatever trait you are focused on. Don't make new polyhybrid f1's and claim the homozygous dominant gene that appears has anything to do with your selection. Let's see you actually test different males and not sell us the experiments.

Top Bottom