Should I add UVB Light?

• Thread starter LaVirtue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
How I'm gonna run UVB 😎

Couple vids of UV in motion. Set it up with 6' end to end travel, takes about 2 minutes for a full round trip. Mounted the fixture directly to the motor. I'll use this when the ripening stage kicks in. Prior to that I'll have a 315 CMH on the mover.
I'm leaning toward using the UV for 2 hours per day toward the end of lights on period. I may even run it 15 on 15 off for 2 hours but that could possibly shorten the life of the bulb. Haven't decided that yet.
The LEDs are dimmed to 40% yet this set up is still freaky bad for the eyes. I think I'll set up a smart plug on the UV so Alexa can turn it off before I enter then I can get to the controller and set them to white so this doesn't blind me

Couple still shots. Looks like this will work so now I just need to wrangle some cords and pop some seeds 😋 ✌️

IMG 2671

IMG 2672

Indiva710

Indiva710

How I'm gonna run UVB 😎

Couple vids of UV in motion. Set it up with 6' end to end travel, takes about 2 minutes for a full round trip. Mounted the fixture directly to the motor. I'll use this when the ripening stage kicks in. Prior to that I'll have a 315 CMH on the mover.
I'm leaning toward using the UV for 2 hours per day toward the end of lights on period. I may even run it 15 on 15 off for 2 hours but that could possibly shorten the life of the bulb. Haven't decided that yet.
The LEDs are dimmed to 40% yet this set up is still freaky bad for the eyes. I think I'll set up a smart plug on the UV so Alexa can turn it off before I enter then I can get to the controller and set them to white so this doesn't blind me

View attachment 1121746

View attachment 1121747

Couple still shots. Looks like this will work so now I just need to wrangle some cords and pop some seeds 😋 ✌️

View attachment 1121748

View attachment 1121749
Be careful with the smart plugs if your power goes out it will reset on its own so it might not be a good idea if you have that issue where your at.....

extractoilminussixty

extractoilminussixty

1/2 Fox Farms Ocean Forest Soil and 1/2 Promix Michorrizae.
I use 4-UVB 150 26W (true supply watts) in a 4x4 tent for 6 Wks 8Hrs a day starting on day 56 for Autos move plants around & UVB 12-15” above plants, along with 5 LED units .
LED 650 (true supply Watts) 1500 Watts total (300 ea rated) 19/6. These are basically cheap LEDs —Bloomspect, but work fine for me, I’m a oil & hash guy.
My Trichome count has definitely gone up 15-20% pic below Tangiematic bud
Like other posters have mentioned use all the scrap & small Buds for dry sift hash or If you want to get basically 100% of THC from the plant make ethanol oil…14 Oz everclear to 1 Oz herb & evaporate put 3-4 rice grains worth in tsp peanut butter & hold on to your chair
(simply evaporating the alcohol out using a double boiler or electric skillet & fan decarboxylates it just fine at least it works for me).
For smokable or vaping oil use dry ice at -50 to -60°f for super cool extraction “QWET” Low temperature is critical as well as fast separation of -60f alcohol Tincher and herb.
(this removes the fats waxes and chlorophyll etc. etc., But you will also see a 35% decrease in oil yield vs room temperature extraction).

E154758F F569 4F57 8760 CD2CBC561B42
F947DE48 B304 4D82 8A38 87CBD6F575F3

Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

Hello,

I have been growing on a very small scale for about 4 years. I am always trying to learn more about growing and I know that I have so much more to learn. I also know that it's probably a life long process!

I started with auto-flowers in a 2 x 2 tent with a horrible LED light. I also experimented a few summers with some photo-period strains with outside grows here at 42 degrees north.

A few months ago, I got a slightly bigger 3 x 3 tent and a new light - a Spider Farmer SF2000. Right now, I have 4 plants growing in a mix of 1/2 Fox Farms Ocean Forest Soil and 1/2 Promix Michorrizae. I have 2 Mass Medical Panama Pupil, 1 Mass Medical Prayer Pupil, and 1 unknown origin Orange Sunshine.

All 4 plants were clones, and I let them veg for about 3 1/2 weeks. They have been in flower for about 4 weeks now. They are really healthy. I have been feeding them mostly with Cyco nutrients but I added MOAB recently.

I have a family member (my Dad) who smokes cannabis many times daily to relieve his extreme back pain. He is 75 and is set in his ways, He typically buys the premium highest potency, most expensive THC weed from the medical dispensary. So far, he says my weed is not strong enough to help his pain. He will smoke it, but says that it doesn't help enough with his pain.

My question is, should I add an additional light that has UVB light in it? Would that increase my THC production? I have read that this helps.

Also, my Prayer Pupil has been tested at 30%. When breeders say that their pot tests at a certain level, can you take that at face value?

I completely understand that the benefits of cannabis is not just with the THC level and that its a combination of the entourage effect of various terpenes and cannabinoids. However, the only thing my Dad cares about it the THC!

Any thoughts or ideas? I appreciate it very much!!!!

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

Thanks for your reply and thanks to everyone on THC Farmer for all of the outstanding comments, experiments snd ideas that were flying around on this thread! I very much appreciate everyone sharing all their knowledge & expertise.

At this point in my setup, I don’t think I will add the UV. I have too many things going on right now with my job and family situation.

I do feel like there is a tremendous amount that I still have to learn! Thanks again, farmers !

10piotr74

10piotr74

and next

I have already bought two UVB 310 is an 18W Fluorescent tube and today I start with 3x30min for one week and the last two weeks for two hours

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

this is the new UVB 310 study

https://www.migrolight.com/migro-uv...one week and the last two weeks for two hours
and next

I have already bought two UVB 310 is an 18W Fluorescent tube and today I start with 3x30min for one week and the last two weeks for two hours
Very interesting !

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

See 😂 don't blame this shit on you man. I was searching for the answer and without this would have ended up spending much more for much less. You don't cost me money, you save me money 🙌
Eta 1 week and even if too late to try to use in week 7-8 I will have it for next grow. Going to grow 8 plants in 2 4x4s next grow and will see if notice anything. For me the cost is worth even a placebo effect cause I struggle mightily with understanding the light in my grows.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

See 😂 don't blame this shit on you man. I was searching for the answer and without this would have ended up spending much more for much less. You don't cost me money, you save me money 🙌
Eta 1 week and even if too late to try to use in week 7-8 I will have it for next grow. Going to grow 8 plants in 2 4x4s next grow and will see if notice anything. For me the cost is worth even a placebo effect cause I struggle mightily with understanding the light in my grows.
Hey bro if you are having light issues it might make it worse to introduce more.

Can you shoot me a link to a post with your lighting and setup and I’ll try to help you with the baseline first?

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Hey bro if you are having light issues it might make it worse to introduce more.

Can you shoot me a link to a post with your lighting and setup and I’ll try to help you with the baseline first?
Ehhhhh uhhh ok and tyvm Moe but I bought already cause I want it if even for next grows 🤗
I don't have a thread for this grow as it was my 1 scrog plant until I took scrog off to flush and couldn't get back on. Jackass newbie LST games don't play well with the scrog concept, lesson learned, check 😣
My lighting is a disaster tbh. I feel like I have 2 nice sports car lights but am driving them pretty blindly. A year in and still I am not learning their ways.

600w hlg blackbird from above is on setting TWO. Like click back once, then again and light is off

2nd blackbird is sitting vertically on the back wall of my 4x4 and I pull plant away from it a good 2 feet. It is on setting 2 or possibly even 1. An alarm on phone lets me know every 3 hours to rotate her 45° on a lazy susan.

Only way to measure light currently are free apps. Photone and ppfd meter and this is what they say. No wonder 🥺

Photone 300 from side center, 400 from top center 🥺

Ppfd meter 420 from side, 650 from top 🥺

Sooo the problem is just I'm a sissy and afraid to turn my lights up cause have no idea what I'm doing and get spooked at 80+ temps even when I know well that it can be fine. Damnit

After looking closely this morning I am beginning to think more that this could really just be a long growing strain. Maybe even 5‐6 weeks more? The pistils are changing color but don't at all appear to be slowing down growing. Like no flowers appear to be ripening really at all. Is it too late to increase the lights? Funny but this strains description acts like you should expect it to foxtail

"The flowers are as vigorous as the stretch, forming some beautiful and big preflowers early in the flowering, then they will connect together to form some long colas and explode in a beautiful sativa foxtailing bouquet with a very decent yeild and colors that can turn from blue to deep dark black leaves on some plants, a beautiful expression of colors"

20230205 071052
20230205 071340
20230205 071407
K

KenKenaf

Those bulbs are 10% uvb, 30% uva, 60% other. Bulbs designed for growing plants might work better:

This is the California Lightworks bulb without the stoner tax, 75% uvb, 25%uva:

10 dollar fixture and 5 dollar bulb to make 150 dollar weed growin light? Potheads go from trying to produce drugs to trying to grow reptiles.. Lots of other things grown indoors besides drugs and iguanos.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Only way to measure light currently are free apps. Photone and ppfd meter and this is what they say. No wonder
have found that the photone app works well on one out of three andriod devices we tested and its worked perfectly on the iphone tested for sunlight and hps spectrums

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Ehhhhh uhhh ok and tyvm Moe but I bought already cause I want it if even for next grows 🤗
I don't have a thread for this grow as it was my 1 scrog plant until I took scrog off to flush and couldn't get back on. Jackass newbie LST games don't play well with the scrog concept, lesson learned, check 😣
My lighting is a disaster tbh. I feel like I have 2 nice sports car lights but am driving them pretty blindly. A year in and still I am not learning their ways.

600w hlg blackbird from above is on setting TWO. Like click back once, then again and light is off

2nd blackbird is sitting vertically on the back wall of my 4x4 and I pull plant away from it a good 2 feet. It is on setting 2 or possibly even 1. An alarm on phone lets me know every 3 hours to rotate her 45° on a lazy susan.

Only way to measure light currently are free apps. Photone and ppfd meter and this is what they say. No wonder 🥺

Photone 300 from side center, 400 from top center 🥺

Ppfd meter 420 from side, 650 from top 🥺

Sooo the problem is just I'm a sissy and afraid to turn my lights up cause have no idea what I'm doing and get spooked at 80+ temps even when I know well that it can be fine. Damnit

After looking closely this morning I am beginning to think more that this could really just be a long growing strain. Maybe even 5‐6 weeks more? The pistils are changing color but don't at all appear to be slowing down growing. Like no flowers appear to be ripening really at all. Is it too late to increase the lights? Funny but this strains description acts like you should expect it to foxtail

"The flowers are as vigorous as the stretch, forming some beautiful and big preflowers early in the flowering, then they will connect together to form some long colas and explode in a beautiful sativa foxtailing bouquet with a very decent yeild and colors that can turn from blue to deep dark black leaves on some plants, a beautiful expression of colors"
Those plants look good but young, lots of mass left to put on.

Just shooting from the hip - 2 lights one on the side seems like you might be overcomplicating things. That's coming from the king of overcomplication.

You don't need a PPFD meter, look at the best growers on the site and see how many times they pull out a meter, or even have one. Just need to learn to read the plants.

If you want to start a thread and tag me in, I'm happy to help and look at the whole grow. My gut tells me that you could remove the vertical light, bring up the power on the main light, and lean into this a little more.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Those bulbs are 10% uvb, 30% uva, 60% other. Bulbs designed for growing plants might work better:

This is the California Lightworks bulb without the stoner tax, 75% uvb, 25%uva:

10 dollar fixture and 5 dollar bulb to make 150 dollar weed growin light? Potheads go from trying to produce drugs to trying to grow reptiles.. Lots of other things grown indoors besides drugs and iguanos.
This is great shit man thanks. Going to dive in a bit deeper. I'm all for reducing costs and increasing what I get for it.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

have found that the photone app works well on one out of three andriod devices we tested and its worked perfectly on the iphone tested for sunlight and hps spectrums
Hmmm verrrry interesting considering my wife has a pretty new iPhone and I never thought to try, till meow 🙌💪 thanks man

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Just shooting from the hip - 2 lights one on the side seems like you might be overcomplicating things. That's coming from the king of overcomplication.

You don't need a PPFD meter, look at the best growers on the site and see how many times they pull out a meter, or even have one. Just need to learn to read the plants.

If you want to start a thread and tag me in, I'm happy to help and look at the whole grow. My gut tells me that you could remove the vertical light, bring up the power on the main light, and lean into this a little more.
good shit as always moe and you are right. Takin other light out today and going to better dial in the one above. Will start thread because would really like all the help could get. It is the only plant I have growing and need to make the best of her.

steamroller

steamroller

Just shooting from the hip - 2 lights one on the side seems like you might be overcomplicating things.

My gut tells me that you could remove the vertical light, bring up the power on the main light, and lean into this a little more.
I would ditch the side light and increase the overhead light as much as plant lets you.
Keep in mind you need to increase feedings and such like just like you are with the light. One light may help with heat.80 is all good as long as you have some control over RH.
There are a couple good threads on UV light now.
One is https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/a-dirty-animal-a-3-d-printer-and-a-led-walk-into-a-room.143504/
another is https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/thinking-of-using-uv-light.144566/
🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom