Should I Be Concerned About Temp When Growing In Pots??

• Thread starter Kilok9t9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kilok9t9

Kilok9t9

I am growing 9 plants in pots and in my pics you will notice I am using different pots/containers it's my first time growing. I had somebody tell me that would be my biggest issue so I was wondering what are the risks of growing in pots.. A few things I would really like to know is ( temp,direct sun light , if colour is a factor , space for roots , and if a 3-5 gallon container can grow 5+ foot plants?? )

Should i be concerned about temp when growing in pots
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Root zone temps are a concern when using pots outside. Be sure to mulch the tops of the pots helps to keep topsoil cooler. You need to lose those black colored pots or at the very least get some white poly film and wrap the exterior of the pots to keep radiant heat gain down. Basic science we all know black absorbs more heat than lighter colors!!

Be sure not to cover your drain holes tho. Can you grow a 5 footer in a 3 gallon pot sure, but that is strain and grower dependent,

The other question you had was direct sun I think pot loves the sun. Not sure what part of the world your in but I would keep an eye on them during the hottest part of the day to see how well your strains your working take the heat. I know folks who grow in the desert with triple digit temps.

Blaze

Blaze

They are going to get very root bound very quickly in those tiny pots, which will cause them to stress out. I would put them into a larger container or the ground, otherwise you will be fighting an uphill battle all season long.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Short answer, YES! You need to be very concerned if it gets very hot where you are. Shade the pots, not the plants.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

Painting pots white make a huge difference . Grouping them together helps too as there is less pot surface exposed to the sun. Mulch the tops. If you don't want to use paint, you can mulch the sides too. One bale of straw would be plenty for those 9 plants

BudBogart

BudBogart

I am growing 9 plants in pots and in my pics you will notice I am using different pots/containers it's my first time growing. I had somebody tell me that would be my biggest issue so I was wondering what are the risks of growing in pots.. A few things I would really like to know is ( temp,direct sun light , if colour is a factor , space for roots , and if a 3-5 gallon container can grow 5+ foot plants?? )

To illustrate my experience with container size, all three of these female plants were from seed planted 3/15. The plant in the green pot and the plant in the ground were both transplanted on 5/9 from pots identical to the first plant.
The plant in the 7 gallon green pot happens to be 5 feet tall and as wide as the pot is. The plant in the ground is trained around 4 foot tall and 3 foot wide and growing for another six weeks.
The limiting factor appears to be pot size. In looking at your potted plants, it's easy to see the same correlation to pot size. All pics taken this morning.

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
they make cheap grow bags in white if you want to transplant affordably. I bet that lawn has a couple inches of decent topsoil for the roots to grow into too
Yes indeed. And that topsoil is booming with ready made bennies as well!!!!

Kilok9t9

Kilok9t9

Yes indeed. And that topsoil is booming with ready made bennies as well!!!!
What are bennies ?? and where can I buy beneficial insects/predators like lady bugs,ants,lacewings , I'v even heard spiders frogs and other animals to fend of rodents

Blaze

Blaze

View attachment 613297 View attachment 613298 View attachment 613299
To illustrate my experience with container size, all three of these female plants were from seed planted 3/15. The plant in the green pot and the plant in the ground were both transplanted on 5/9 from pots identical to the first plant.
The plant in the 7 gallon green pot happens to be 5 feet tall and as wide as the pot is. The plant in the ground is trained around 4 foot tall and 3 foot wide and growing for another six weeks.
The limiting factor appears to be pot size. In looking at your potted plants, it's easy to see the same correlation to pot size. All pics taken this morning.

This is a GREAT example of what a huge different container size makes at every stage of growth. The size of the root mass is directly related to the growth rate and over all size of the plant. Using larger pots, even when germinating seeds or transplanting freshly rooted clones can cut down your veg time considerably.

tangiekosher

tangiekosher

Your grass will make it cooler for your pots it's much better than growing them on concrete at least. Heat is a problem for me as well as I am also growing in pots outdoor. I used 10 gallon wide pots. A good way of insulation to cover the top of the dirt and also all the way around the pots. I use big boulders and clean rocks from the mountain to sit on top of the soil also you can wrap the pots with a white towel or something to cover the sides of the pots from getting hit from the Sun. Weather is now changing and we're getting hotter and hotter temperatures I'm sure we're going to have to adapt.

tangiekosher

tangiekosher

I use smart pots too. I want to try growing in raised beds . With thick wood structures in big squares. Keep all the living organisms alive in that for sure.

Top Bottom