Should I bother trying to grow this plant?

• Thread starter ClosetClouds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

ClosetClouds

Hey guys,
This is my second grow, and I’ve got two tents running right now.

I ended up with a seed I found in some weed I got the other day from a dispensary, I decided to mess around with it for fun, and it actually germinated.

a buddy of mine is saying to just toss it now because the risk of it being a hermie is too high.

I figured that would be the case, but I was not sure.

thoughts?
Should i bother trying to grow this plant

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Well, getting a seed out of something that is supposed to be sensimilla means one of 2 things.

It is prone to hermie
or
another plant grown at the same time hermied.

I say if you have the room, use it as a learning experience. Watch it closely.

You can actually reverse a hermie with a spray these days too - only read about it but it exists.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Hey guys,

I ended up with a seed I found in some weed I got the other day from a dispensary, I decided to mess around with it for fun, and it actually germinated.

a buddy of mine is saying to just toss it now because the risk of it being a hermie is too high.

thoughts?
View attachment 1219844
I grew 2 bag seeds out before at the same time and no hermy but I did end up with nanners from light being too close. Had some seeds in the end but still smoked fine. Like Moe.Red said it can be good practice without having to experiment on pricey seeds.
47F91254 F07F 4DAC 8959 932FA77FF2FE
F0E117F0 9758 4900 B13C 470B93C7E33B
2B3FFA9A 3444 456B A851 BAE89DDE816D

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

Hey guys,

thoughts?
View attachment 1219844
"the risk of it being hermie is too high"... LOL!!!

Uhm, what kind of utter snowflakey bullshit is that?? LOL!!!

Ohh No!

The world is going to end, I grew a plant, risked it all, and it turned out hermie...

Ignore your friend, even if it hermies, just keep an eye on it. If it starts throwing male balls early in vegetative growth or flowering, get rid of it. Not only that but it will be a good learning experience for you to observe what an actual hermaphrodite does and looks like. Sometimes what will happen is, it will grow completely female for the entire grow, then the last two weeks put out male flowers, sometimes if they are at the bottom of the plant, the effects of the male pollen will be minimized and you will get a few seeds but nothing major.

Other times, the male flowers will pop out all over the freakin place and become a complete waste of time.

Noting gained nothing lost.

But if it ends up being a female... Then you gain everything, right?

Ohh the risk!

Even if you end up with a few seeds, it makes great joint smoking material..

(by the way, I meant NO offense to your friend, I just hate to see a good plant wasted.)

Last edited:
C

ClosetClouds

Well, getting a seed out of something that is supposed to be sensimilla means one of 2 things.

It is prone to hermie
or

You can actually reverse a hermie with a spray these days too - only read about it but it exists.
"the risk of it being hermie is too high"... LOL!!!

Uhm, what kind of utter snowflakey bullshit is that?? LOL!!!

Ohh No!

The world is going to end, I grew a plant, risked it all, and it turned out hermie...

Ignore your friend, even if it hermies, just keep an eye on it. If it starts throwing male balls early in vegetative growth or flowering, get rid of it. Not only that but it will be a good learning experience for you to observe what an actual hermaphrodite does and looks like. Sometimes what will happen is, it will grow completely female for the entire grow, then the last two weeks put out male flowers, sometimes if they are at the bottom of the plant, the effects of the male pollen will be minimized and you will get a few seeds but nothing major.

Other times, the male flowers will pop out all over the freakin place and become a complete waste of time.

Noting gained nothing lost.

But if it ends up being a female... Then you gain everything, right?

Ohh the risk!

Even if you end up with a few seeds, it makes great joint smoking material..

(by the way, I meant NO offense to your friend, I just hate to see a good plant wasted.)
I’m so glad I posted in here, because I feel the same way. Can’t imagine throwing out a plant because of such a minimal risk! Thank you!

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

I’m so glad I posted in here, because I feel the same way. Can’t imagine throwing out a plant because of such a minimal risk! Thank you!

There are benefits to this in that the seeds produced will be "feminized", in that they will either be hermie or female. WOoo Hooo! No males to worry about!

The downside is, when you grow the seeds , you can get females all the way up to the 6th week of flower, and then one plant on one branch, pops a single male flower... and pollinates the entire crop, making your buds loaded with false seeds or full seeds even.

If you then try to grow these seeds, the hermie genetic is passed down and becomes the dominate gene, the more you breed, the more the hermie gene will come out.

How do you test a plant to see if it's a hermie or not?

Bounce the lighting, over prune it, under water it, stress the living snot out of it... if it doesn't hermie after all of that, that is a good breeding stock and it won't hermie, it doesn't have the ability because it does not have the hermie genetic passed down to it.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yup watch it close and post up pics if you think you see anything suspect and we will help you out.

testiclees

testiclees

Yup watch it close and post up pics if you think you see anything suspect and we will help you out.
Take a look plz?

I have a kali mist and a golden goat together in flower room. I spied some nanners developing on the very tips of the kali buds week3 and i pinched a bunch off. These pics are today, day 30. First time for me observing nanners before wewk 8. Wondering if i should expect loads of seeds. Plant is no longer producing nanners. I think i triggered it w a potent foliar.
6 7 golden goat
6 7 kali 1
6 7 kali

6 7 golden goat 1
C

ClosetClouds

Hey guys,

thoughts?
View attachment 1219844
Update on this post — plants were both completely male. I moved them to my outside garden and now I just admire the fan leaves.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Take a look plz?

I have a kali mist and a golden goat together in flower room. I spied some nanners developing on the very tips of the kali buds week3 and i pinched a bunch off. These pics are today, day 30. First time for me observing nanners before wewk 8. Wondering if i should expect loads of seeds. Plant is no longer producing nanners. I think i triggered it w a potent foliar.View attachment 1251627View attachment 1251625View attachment 1251624

Man those white hairs are long! plenty white so if they did get some pollen, it was not much. They kinda shrivel up into the calyx to make a seed when pollenated, those do not look that way so I think you are OK.

testiclees

testiclees

Man those white hairs are long! plenty white so if they did get some pollen, it was not much. They kinda shrivel up into the calyx to make a seed when pollenated, those do not look that way so I think you are OK.

Yay. its still throwing pistils day 37, 12/12.
I did trim a few tops that had bananas visible. I cut off ~1/2 inch from tips. I think that may have encouraged the stack action observable in pics.
6 13 kali

testiclees

testiclees

Take a look plz?

I have a kali mist and a golden goat together in flower room. I spied some nanners developing on the very tips of the kali buds week3 and i pinched a bunch off. These pics are today, day 30. First time for me observing nanners before wewk 8. Wondering if i should expect loads of seeds. Plant is no longer producing nanners. I think i triggered it w a potent foliar.View attachment 1251627View attachment 1251625

View attachment 1251624

Day 77 same plant. fem Kali Mist.
This will need at least 14 weeks.

7 24 Kali
7 24 kali 1

growsince79

growsince79

It is prone to hermie
or

Why would you want to reverse a hermi? Not for breeding and surely you you wouldn't want to smoke it; at least I don't. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

growsince79

growsince79

Why would you want to reverse a hermi? Not for breeding and surely you you wouldn't want to smoke it; at least I don't. Sounds like a bad idea to me.
Now you got me thinkin back. In the early eighties there was a product that was supposed to turn males fem. Forget the name, but it was sold in HT mag.

testiclees

testiclees

Where did you source that kali mist from? I remember when logic was trying to find some kali mist.
It came directly from Serious in 2020 or 2019. It was one of a small pack of fems. I have grown KM fems several times over the years. This is first time with the very looong flowering time.

Top Bottom