Should I cut lower branches 1.5 weeks from harvest?

• Thread starter Thumbob3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Thumbob3

Hello! This is my first RDWC cycle and there are surely some improvements to be made next time. However, I'm very happy overall with the current state of my plants. I am removing my plants tonight to do some final trimming to allow more light to get to the bud sites during my final ~1.5 weeks before harvest (planning on putting in 1 more nute solution and a few days of flush). I obviously did not trim my plans enough during veg and early flower. The bottom 50% of my plants are much less mature than the top 50%. At this point, should I trim off some of the weaker bottom branches with immature buds on them? Or should I just cut as many leaves out of the way to give them more light?

Thank you!

Should i cut lower branches 15 weeks from harvest
Should i cut lower branches 15 weeks from harvest 2
Should i cut lower branches 15 weeks from harvest 3
T

Trae1170

I cut the branches off about a 1/3rd of the way up about a week before I change to Flower. Not quite as much as lolly popping but enough to get better air flow and get rid of branches that would not produce much so energy is focused on buds higher up. I also cut some of the fan leaves that are buried inside the plant to allow more light.
Most of the branches you cut off can be prepped and rooted as clones.

Mothman

Mothman

Hello! This is my first RDWC cycle and there are surely some improvements to be made next time. However, I'm very happy overall with the current state of my plants. I am removing my plants tonight to do some final trimming to allow more light to get to the bud sites during my final ~1.5 weeks before harvest (planning on putting in 1 more nute solution and a few days of flush). I obviously did not trim my plans enough during veg and early flower. The bottom 50% of my plants are much less mature than the top 50%. At this point, should I trim off some of the weaker bottom branches with immature buds on them? Or should I just cut as many leaves out of the way to give them more light?

Thank you!
This may be voodoo science, but my feeling is 1.5 wks of slightly increased light exposure won’t give you much increased bud mass in your second tier buds. Secondarily, won’t it be unnecessarily stressful on a plant currently focused on cranking out colas?

I would not do much cutting if harvest is in 10 days. Each leaf is a solar panel.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

The others are probably right -- it's a little late to see any improvements by cutting out that lower garbage, but you can still do it for some better airflow.

You have to do this early -- just before and after flip. You do not want your plant to end up looking like a thicket. But it is what it is, at this point. You'll know more for your next grow.

H

hawkman

what are you wanting to accomplish ? bigger buds or large yield ? or increase air flow / taking a "bunch" of lower branched will cause stress and depending on how many branches> Consider leaving everything !! We learn something after each grow next grow just watch your lower lateral branching/ Buds DO tend to increase in size during the last few weeks before harvest Let it grow !!

Top Bottom