Should i give 24 hrs dark before flipping ?

• Thread starter Jonnypierce
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

Hi everyone, just a quick question. I'm just about ready to flip my plants to flower, now is it a good idea to give them a full 24 hours darkness first or just go to 12 12 ? I'm currently on an 18 6 cycle

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Anyone ???
I don't. it takes 8-10 + weeks any ways 1 day in the dark isn't going to save much time or make much of a difference. imho...Some strain show earlier than others. It won't hurt it to put it in the dark & it might help kick them into flower but I think its just wishful thinking.

I've tried 2 days in the dark before harvest with twin girls and the one in an extra 2 days of dark had more amber tric's than her twin left under the lights. ( off topic I know )

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

No give it 48 hours of darkness right before you chop.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Yes. I usually give mine a 12 hour to 24 hour rest period. Between my 18x6 and 12x12. I dont know the scientific reasoning behind why it helps. I just do it from experience that it shocks the plant less. It depends on the power of your veg lights to the power of your flower lights as well.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yes. I usually give mine a 12 hour to 24 hour rest period. Between my 18x6 and 12x12. I dont know the scientific reasoning behind why it helps. I just do it from experience that it shocks the plant less. It depends on the power of your veg lights to the power of your flower lights as well.
Right now I'm vegging 10 hrs under t5's and 10 hrs under 1000w hps. after they're 2 weeks old they all go in the flower room while the lights on. No shock going under the 1000w....I've been doing it for years and just did a 1 day test with 4 in the flower room for 10 hrs and the rest stayed under the t5's after 1 day the plants that went under the 1000w are bigger, it is easy to see the difference 1 day made. They don't go into shock, they jump at the big bright lights.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

There is no evidence I am aware of that it makes a whit of difference. Once the period of darkness is greater than about 9-10 hours (based on my outdoor plants' behavior over the years) the auxin change happens, and they start the transition to bud. This is a pretty binary process, you can't make it do 'more' of it by increasing the period of darkness. All you do with 24 hours of darkness is lose 12 hours of light time, ie., you lose a day's growth. Same with the guy who suggests 48 hours darkness before harvest. You're just losing two days worth of photons.

My outdoor plants start kicking into bloom right about now, with 9 hours of darkness. There is no evidence that I have seen that large additional amounts of darkness do anything positive.

Last edited:
Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

There is no evidence I am aware of that it makes a whit of difference. Once the period of darkness is greater than about 9-10 hours (based on my outdoor plants' behavior over the years) the auxin change happens, and they start the transition to bud. This is a pretty binary process, you can't make it do 'more' of it by increasing the period of darkness. All you do with 24 hours of darkness is lose 12 hours of light time, ie., you lose a day's growth. Same with the guy who suggests 48 hours darkness before harvest. You're just losing two days worth of photons.

My outdoor plants start kicking into bloom right about now, with 9 hours of darkness. There is no evidence that I have seen that large additional amounts of darkness do anything positive.
Thankyou for your input makes sense

Top Bottom