Should I Increase My Light Or Leave It?

• Thread starter Badboar
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Badboar

Badboar

Greetings! I just switched my light to 12/12. Operating at 450 watts. In a couple of weeks I will be changing my MH bulb to a HPS. At that time I was thinking of increasing my light to 600 watt (the max). Will that improve my grow or do harm? My 3 x 3 area is crowded so that is a concern.

Thanks for your help!
Wjfoo4bsrzqij1ixcg7mdajpg

P

PharmHand

Greetings! I just switched my light to 12/12. Operating at 450 watts. In a couple of weeks I will be changing my MH bulb to a HPS. At that time I was thinking of increasing my light to 600 watt (the max). Will that improve my grow or do harm? My 3 x 3 area is crowded so that is a concern.

Thanks for your help!View attachment 775575
Raise the light a bit, crank it up and keep an eye for any signs of stress. Looks good!

Badboar

Badboar

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering about the light. How high do you believe is a good range to maintain? I have a light meter too, however it's interesting how the bulb I am using puts out different level readings across the fixture. On the front the lux was 11K but on the back it was above 20K. I love new ideas!!!

Enforcer

Enforcer

About 18" should be good. You can go to 12" when the plants are big and can take it, but I would let them grow into that. Use the hand test to make sure the canopy isn't too hot.

Just some friendly advice, 6 plants in a 3x3 is going to be crazy packed by the 2nd or 3rd week of flower. I have 4 in my 3x3 and I think I may be pushing it with that. Below is the last run at harvest in my 3x3 with only 3 plants. Vegged for 6.5 weeks from seed. As you can see, it's poppin in there. I'm going to try 4 plants this run with less veg time. But even that may be pressing my luck.

IMG 0240
IMG 0241
Badboar

Badboar

Thank you, 18 inches sounds reasonable. As far as space, I was afraid of it being too crowded. I will have to see how it goes. I am thinking of replacing the MH bulb with HPS now and upping it to 600 watt rather than wait a couple weeks. I had read when time changes to 12/12 operation, a couple weeks of stretching is good before replacing the bulb. I don't need any extra stretching and if it doesn't have a big benefit, I will pass. Thanks again!

Top Bottom