Should I keep defoliating autos if they fill back in?

• Thread starter Mpyers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mpyers

Hey all. Growing Black Jack Autos in ocean forest soil. 35 days old. I have defoliated twice; once on day 23 and once on day 31. Both times I took off a decent amount. Two big handfuls. But they just seem to fill right back in immediately I defoliated lightly 3 days ago and it seems like they need it again. Maybe I didn't take enough off. Should I keep going or just let them be crowded and bushy? If they look like they're handling it well then does that mean it's okay to keep going? It's my first grow. Please help.

Should i keep defoliating autos if they fill back in
Should i keep defoliating autos if they fill back in 2
Should i keep defoliating autos if they fill back in 3
IMG 6960
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I really like Black Jack, especially in tincture, but I've never grown an auto. Your plants look healthy and are growing vigorously. I've heard many times that autos should be left to grow as they will. It probably would help to defoliate for air flow, though. The folks who've grown autos will probably have more to say. Good luck with your crop. Your plants look beautiful.

M

Mpyers

I really like Black Jack, especially in tincture, but I've never grown an auto. Your plants look healthy and are growing vigorously. I've heard many times that autos should be left to grow as they will. It probably would help to defoliate for air flow, though. The folks who've grown autos will probably have more to say. Good luck with your crop. Your plants look beautiful.
I love black jack as well. I can’t wait to enjoy my first grow. But yeah I need an auto expert. Everything I’ve read also says not to defoliate too much and let them grow. But every plant I see online is way less crowded so I’m just like uhhhh.. is this normal? I feel like everyone is worried about over stressing but they don’t seem stressed about what I’ve done so far at all.

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

i grow autos and i always defoliated let some air and some light in if a fan leaf is blocking a bud site remove it

RudeA

RudeA

I'm doing autos for the first time. I'm on day 32 and have defoliated twice. They seem to be handling it well with no adverse effects. I'm also doing LST to spread things out a bit. I've read like you, your supposed to leave them alone and let them do their thing. Mine were just way to bushy to do that. Now I may have screwed things totally up come bud development time, I'll just have ti wait and see. I also toppped them one time, and thats an apparent no no also. Your girls are looking Uber healthy, your doing a good job. Im doing everything I'm not supposed to do, call it a trial session. I guess I'll know in a few weeks what's tolerated and what's not. Good luck on your current grow...looks like a great start.
20240124 145338

M

Mpyers

I'm doing autos for the first time. I'm on day 32 and have defoliated twice. They seem to be handling it well with no adverse effects. I'm also doing LST to spread things out a bit. I've read like you, your supposed to leave them alone and let them do their thing. Mine were just way to bushy to do that. Now I may have screwed things totally up come bud development time, I'll just have ti wait and see. I also toppped them one time, and thats an apparent no no also. Your girls are looking Uber healthy, your doing a good job. Im doing everything I'm not supposed to do, call it a trial session. I guess I'll know in a few weeks what's tolerated and what's not. Good luck on your current grow...looks like a great start.

I decided to go ahead and do another defol. It filled back In within a few days. I did 4 defoliations in the first 40 days. But they still look strong. My advice would be just do what they can handle. I think next time I’ll cut off a couple leaves at a time like every 3 days. Keep them in the right pattern the whole time instead of trying to cut a whole bunch at once AFTER they’ve become too bushy. Maybe other genetics will change my mind. Black Jack has very short internodal spacing. But if they’re healthy and they fill back in I think they can handle many super light cuttings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom