Should I rotate the plant or not?

• Thread starter HedgedAndLevered
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

First time grower here
Day 51, or about 2 weeks into flowering for a Green Crack Auto, just noticing some very asymmetric growth, but pretty much expected based on the sun my plant gets. Though its getting almost a full day's sun being on the roof, its hitting the plant asymmetrically, with one half of the plant getting the lion's share.
I knew that growth would be promoted on the side that gets more light, and figured that its a plant adaptation to light and I'm probably better off letting it do its thing, so I haven't rotated at all the whole grow.

It's a larger effect than I anticipated though; as far as the bottom, largest branch, the side closest the sun is over twice the mass of its twin on the darker size. The longer side is about 3.5 feet long (the branch is about 80% as long as the plant is tall!), the other about half that and notably absent any fan leaves as large as its twin (but still looks like a very healthy branch).
I counted 51 little flower buds on the long branch and 20 on its twin.

Would there be any benefit to rotating the plant at this point, or for next time, earlier in the grow?
Seems like the plant "knows" how to grow to maximize energy absorption from the sun given its orientation, and my goal is to maximize flower mass, of course. Are these goals aligned?

Capital_Florica

Capital_Florica

Seems like the plant "knows" how to grow to maximize energy absorption from the sun given its orientation

The basis for how the plant reacts to light is called phototropism, if you’re curious to research more about it.

One benefit farmers have of planting in an open field without obstruction is that the sun shines over the course of the day uniformly on the plant. So yes, to answer your question, rotating your plant will help achieve more uniform growth. Some indoor gardeners even move around and rotate their plants to make all the plants a bit more equal. For smaller plants, I’ll spin every 48 hours, bigger ones every couple days.

HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

Well yes, more uniform of course, but my goal is maximizing yield; any idea if it is it likely to improve the yield by rotating?

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

It will definitely improve your yield by rotating, maybe not this year since there’s so little time left in growing season but it certainly won’t hurt to try. I have a 4ft tall potted plant on a 5-wheel plant base and have rotated it 180 degrees daily. Plant’s loving it❤️ It’s the main reason I wanted a potted plant.

08B02D20 C8C7 407E BD50 6B004044FADC
detroitjoe

detroitjoe

Well yes, more uniform of course, but my goal is maximizing yield; any idea if it is it likely to improve the yield by rotating?
For yield, you will need to train.

Bend her over towards the bald spot as even as possible ; horizontally

You will naturally get the pyramid shape; indoors or outdoors

Capital_Florica

Capital_Florica

any idea if it is it likely to improve the yield by rotating?

Certainly. Plants are not one-sided, they aren’t designed to only receive light from one side. When they do, they usually exhibit irregular growth to accommodate this. Like, stretching and uneven internodes. You will always have a better, higher yielding plant, by making sure that light is hitting all sides.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Sweet plant, i rotate my plants so they get even light.

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

Certainly. Plants are not one-sided, they aren’t designed to only receive light from one side. When they do, they usually exhibit irregular growth to accommodate this. Like, stretching and uneven internodes. You will always have a better, higher yielding plant, by making sure that light is hitting all sides.
Plants are designed to survive by any means nessessary. Light ( sunlight or growlight ) creates a horizonal blanket. thats why a cola is a cola.

If you want bigger yields, take the plant and train the main coloas to go horizontal so that the branches grow vertical.
They get way more light, easy to manage. your flowers will be consistant in size and no space is wasted.

a nice and even canopy will boost yield by 15% easy.
The quality of flowers will also be better.

HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

Plants are designed to survive by any means nessessary. Light ( sunlight or growlight ) creates a horizonal blanket. thats why a cola is a cola.

If you want bigger yields, take the plant and train the main coloas to go horizontal so that the branches grow vertical.
They get way more light, easy to manage. your flowers will be consistant in size and no space is wasted.

a nice and even canopy will boost yield by 15% easy.
The quality of flowers will also be better.
oo interesting
so then if its horizontal...
from nodes, 1 out of 4 of the branches grow straight upward, 2 of 4 curve up, what does the bottom branch do, or do you prune it?

Top Bottom