Should I till/hoe my grow area?

• Thread starter Michigan.Out.Of.Doors
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

I'm germinating right now and I won't be planting until mid may,should I till the soil or hoe the weeds?it makes the soil really dry so should I just wait until I plant?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'm germinating right now and I won't be planting until mid may,should I till the soil or hoe the weeds?it makes the soil really dry so should I just wait until I plant?
I'll be doing a "first-till" on my veggie garden area this coming weekend (weather permitting). I'll be tilling in compost, loosening up the soil and disturbing any weeds that might be trying to grow. It most likely won't dry out before I do my final till in May prior to planting. I'll run a few strains in the greenhouse again, but I'll use fabric pots planted directly in the ground for that ....

I'm in mid Michigan ... it's been dry lately but I expect that will change.

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

I'll be doing a "first-till" on my veggie garden area this coming weekend (weather permitting). I'll be tilling in compost, loosening up the soil and disturbing any weeds that might be trying to grow. It most likely won't dry out before I do my final till in May prior to planting. I'll run a few strains in the greenhouse again, but I'll use fabric pots planted directly in the ground for that ....

I'm in mid Michigan ... it's been dry lately but I expect that will change.
Yah I love in mid mi as well,we've got a whole week of rain coming so I figured I'd till it ,I just started my compost so it's not ready heat but by the time I'm planting it should be ready to ammend

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Probably still frozen no? I'm frozen here at 2" deep but we just started warming up.
It's not frozen here ... It's been pretty steady above freezing during the day for most of the month of March here. It's too early to plant here, but it's not too early to till in amendments as long as you're willing to till it again prior to planting it.

Farmer88

Farmer88

Primary tillage can be preformed as soon as the ground is soft enough to turn over about six inches down. If the top is a little frozen thats fine. Depending on your method of primary tillage you may want to wait until the ground is fully thawed. For example, I will do primary tillage as soon as the plow will break ground preferably with a little snow on top for extra boost of N. Incorporate any compost and powdered ph adjusters if ph was not addressed in the fall durring primary. One to two weeks before planting add any dry fertilizers and slow release amendments you may use to the plot and incorportate with secondary tillage leaving the soil fluffy. Retill lightly if soil has compacted too much in one weeks time. After that primary shouldn't need to occur for about four to ten years depending on the lower soil compaction. Cover cropping between cycles is recommended if there is long down time. And please get a soil test from one of hundreds of agricultural labs so you can better amend the soil accurately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom