Should I top or FIM my plant?

• Thread starter 420LoverTilIdie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420LoverTilIdie

420LoverTilIdie

I have a plant that I believe may have been a little stunted from nutrient deficiency, but it’s doing a lot better now. It’s about 8 weeks old now and like 10” tall. I have counted 7 nodes. My question is, should I top it or fim it? I’m new to this and very apprehensive about cutting my baby lol. Any advice will help tremendously as I feel like a moron when it comes to this stuff.

ArrEll

ArrEll

I have a plant that I believe may have been a little stunted from nutrient deficiency, but it’s doing a lot better now. It’s about 8 weeks old now and like 10” tall. I have counted 7 nodes. My question is, should I top it or fim it? I’m new to this and very apprehensive about cutting my baby lol. Any advice will help tremendously as I feel like a moron when it comes to this stuff.
Since it's 8 weeks old and (you don't mention if it is) not flowering, it must be a Photoperiod. I imagine you can do as you like, but what exactly is that? Do you have a need to keep it short? Or just want more buds?

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

If you're going for the most harvest for the least effort, fim it. Topping will produce 2 new bud sites, fimming will produce 3 or more. You could also do it based on how your top node looks. I topped 6 plants and fimmed 1 on my current grow just because one plant was set up so perfect to fim.

420LoverTilIdie

420LoverTilIdie

I would top it, its weird cutting on them at first but she will bounce back! Throw up some photos too! Welcome to the farm, a lot of helpful people on here
Thank you! I’ll put up some pictures soon

420LoverTilIdie

420LoverTilIdie

Since it's 8 weeks old and (you don't mention if it is) not flowering, it must be a Photoperiod. I imagine you can do as you like, but what exactly is that? Do you have a need to keep it short? Or just want more buds?
Honestly I wasn’t sure what it was. I got it in some bud from my dispensary so I decided to try. I bought a grow tent setup and everything else was trial and error. After about 6 weeks it wasn’t flowering so I figured it was a photo. So I’m going for short and bushy with the highest yield of possible

ArrEll

ArrEll

Honestly I wasn’t sure what it was. I got it in some bud from my dispensary so I decided to try. I bought a grow tent setup and everything else was trial and error. After about 6 weeks it wasn’t flowering so I figured it was a photo. So I’m going for short and bushy with the highest yield of possible
Well then I guess 8 weeks of Vegging should be enough. Give them a week or two, to recover from Topping or FIMing, then switch to 12/12 lighting schedule. I wish you the best. Do you remember what the Strain was called?

I have some seeds from a Qtr of Durban Poison I bought at a dispensary. One or two buds were lousy with seeds, so I saved them. Then later, I found out it grows 12 feet tall lol.
So much for THAT plan.

420LoverTilIdie

420LoverTilIdie

Well then I guess 8 weeks of Vegging should be enough. Give them a week or two, to recover from Topping or FIMing, then switch to 12/12 lighting schedule. I wish you the best. Do you remember what the Strain was called?

I have some seeds from a Qtr of Durban Poison I bought at a dispensary. One or two buds were lousy with seeds, so I saved them. Then later, I found out it grows 12 feet tall lol.
So much for THAT plan.

These are Cherry Diesel. I also have some blue dream x Pakistani kush but they also grow tall AF. My tent is only 24x24x60 so not much room at all. I just topped it now cause I didn’t want to go through the hassle of trellis nets. I am not sure if I did it right and now this thing looks like a baby again. Not sure if it is big enough to start flowering any time soon. The first two pictures are before and the last two is after. I put my hand for size reference
E74EA1D2 4359 4338 AEFD D04B7BBF38D1
2405BF30 3653 4E80 817A 4C8348805DA1
C6F31A02 BF28 4549 8A22 60F674BE0EE3
7D4DB8BC 350C 4B5F A7ED E60EF78593E8

ArrEll

ArrEll

These are Cherry Diesel. I also have some blue dream x Pakistani kush but they also grow tall AF. My tent is only 24x24x60 so not much room at all. I just topped it now cause I didn’t want to go through the hassle of trellis nets. I am not sure if I did it right and now this thing looks like a baby again. Not sure if it is big enough to start flowering any time soon. The first two pictures are before and the last two is after. I put my hand for size reference View attachment 1082679View attachment 1082680View attachment 1082681View attachment 1082682
OH yeah I see. Very small, for 2 months' growth. BUT...big enough, for Topping. Good show! My tent is only 2x2x4 feet. But I bought a slightly bigger one for my next Grow. I too, must keep them SHORT. In pursuit of this, I buy my seeds online, delivered via US Mail. I need to know I'm starting out with something I at least have a chance of finishing. Just began two Afghan Kush, but this thread is about YOU. What soil you using? Lights? Do tell.

420LoverTilIdie

420LoverTilIdie

OH yeah I see. Very small, for 2 months' growth. BUT...big enough, for Topping. Good show! My tent is only 2x2x4 feet. But I bought a slightly bigger one for my next Grow. I too, must keep them SHORT. In pursuit of this, I buy my seeds online, delivered via US Mail. I need to know I'm starting out with something I at least have a chance of finishing. Just began two Afghan Kush, but this thread is about YOU. What soil you using? Lights? Do tell.
I’m using Black gold organic soil with a Mars hydro TS 600 Led. Cold War Organics Bud Bread nutrients. I had a really bad Nitrogen deficiency in the seedling stage and brought it back with fish fertilizer before switching to the bud bread. I really want to buy some autos but just unsure how secure it is.

ArrEll

ArrEll

I’m using Black gold organic soil with a Mars hydro TS 600 Led. Cold War Organics Bud Bread nutrients. I had a really bad Nitrogen deficiency in the seedling stage and brought it back with fish fertilizer before switching to the bud bread. I really want to buy some autos but just unsure how secure it is.
True Confessions Time: I BLEW my last Grow, and it was an Auto. Purple Kush Auto. It was loaded with NICE BUDS, nearing completion, when I overwatered it......,my only explanation is: "I had a Bad Day". Root Rot, lost my plant in a HURRY. Nothing I could do. Couldn't salvage anything; It began to stink of death. What a shame. Back to Photoperiods. For now.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

True Confessions Time: I BLEW my last Grow, and it was an Auto. Purple Kush Auto. It was loaded with NICE BUDS, nearing completion, when I overwatered it......,my only explanation is: "I had a Bad Day". Root Rot, lost my plant in a HURRY. Nothing I could do. Couldn't salvage anything; It began to stink of death. What a shame. Back to Photoperiods. For now.
"The auto made me over water... so I'm going to get a photo."

Yup I'm not sure the genetics is going to solve that problem

420LoverTilIdie

420LoverTilIdie

Damn that sucks. There’s a lot more to this than I imagined but it sure is awesome watching the process

ArrEll

ArrEll

Did I miss something? He never said the auto made him overwater he simply said he made a mistake. Way to be a Dick dude
I was unaware, that my soil & root ball had become Waterlogged. I over-watered it, while distracted and (frankly) just plain old "Having a bad day"....and that was it. Quickly. Totally my fault.

I leave it open to each individual's interpretation. Maybe, if they read my post, someone else WON'T make the same mistake I did....oh, well. Movin' on.

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

Bend her over and tie her down...they like it.
IMG 20201128 144746

IMG 20201201 074146

Same plant a couple months later (3 weeks flower) ... when you bend them over putting the plants top below its branches, the plant goes through a hormonal change and instead of being a tree it becomes a bush. That plant would be 6 foot tall if I didn't bend her over. Her top just becomes another branch, makin for a nice even canopy. Works great for real stretchy strains. Try it, you may like it too!
IMG 1252

ArrEll

ArrEll

Bend her over and tie her down...they like it.
View attachment 1082780
View attachment 1082782
Same plant a couple months later (3 weeks flower) ... when you bend them over putting the plants top below its branches, the plant goes through a hormonal change and instead of being a tree it becomes a bush. That plant would be 6 foot tall if I didn't bend her over. Her top just becomes another branch, makin for a nice even canopy. Works great for real stretchy strains. Try it, you may like it too!
View attachment 1082787
Excellent. I guess, to get what you want, you gotta be Fearless. I have a small/short Grow space, so - Here we go....
D'ya mind my asking: After the Stretch, exactly how high was she?

Latest posts

Top Bottom