Should I use Cal Mag with RO Water?

• Thread starter Masteroogway420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Masteroogway420

Masteroogway420

Hello, I’m preparing my first full indoor grow and am going to be using happy frog soil with added perlite and advanced nutrients ph perfect grow, micro, bloom. For watering i’m planning on using store bought refillable RO water. Will I need to use additional Cal Mag in my waterings or will the advanced nutrients and soil take care of it for me?

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

Hello, I’m preparing my first full indoor grow and am going to be using happy frog soil with added perlite and advanced nutrients ph perfect grow, micro, bloom. For watering i’m planning on using store bought refillable RO water. Will I need to use additional Cal Mag in my waterings or will the advanced nutrients and soil take care of it for me?
I would, because in an amended soil like Happy Frog, you'll be feeding so infrequently that you won't be able to keep up with the magnesium demands. I'd give calmag with every non-feed watering through the end of the stretch, and a mag sulfur supplement after that.

Masteroogway420

Masteroogway420

I would, because in an amended soil like Happy Frog, you'll be feeding so infrequently that you won't be able to keep up with the magnesium demands. I'd give calmag with every non-feed watering through the end of the stretch, and a mag sulfur supplement after that.
How often would you recommend me feed with the grow micro bloom? Do I do one feed a week or something like every other water? I just purchased sensi cal mag by advanced nutrients will I need to use nutes from the start or will the happy frog have enough to support it through the first couple weeks?

Masteroogway420

Masteroogway420

RO has nothing in it, so it’ll just strip whatever nutrients you have in your soil. I use RO water and regardless of my feedings, I give calmag until the last few weeks
Okay thank you so should I use cal mag from the very beginning or wait a little to add?

Kannabis

Kannabis

Your leaves could totally answer this question ... if only they could talk ! In a previous lifetime I fiddled with DWC. RO was what i understood to be the best way to "control" micro elements related my water. After a few grows I switched to 100% city water and only added NPK Nutes and Micro Nutes. For me it worked well. No Mo Ro.

* Watch new leaf development and if those new little leaves are twisted or curling that is a early sign of Cal/Mag Deficiency *

Kannabis

Kannabis

How often would you recommend me feed with the grow micro bloom? Do I do one feed a week or something like every other water? I just purchased sensi cal mag by advanced nutrients will I need to use nutes from the start or will the happy frog have enough to support it through the first couple weeks?
Many growers rule of thumb is Feed nutrients every other watering. But determining when to start feeding and how much feed can be puzzling.

According to FoxFarms there is sufficient amounts of NPK to support 4 weeks of vegetative growth. The same recommendation is made for FoxFarms StrawBerryfields. After 4 weeks FoxFarms recommends beginning the feeding of Macro and Micro nutes. But then the question is : How much nutrients do I give the plant.

I use FoxFarm soil mixes Happy Frog (Veg) and FoxFarm StrawberryFields (Flower) and I adhere to that recommendation. I also use FoxFarms 3 part nutrients and the feeding amounts vary from plant to plant. Have you reviewed FoxFarms feeding recommendation charts ?

I also use Sensi CalMag. During vegetative stages I do not add CalMag to my HappyFrog soil mix. After transplanting into StrawBerryFields (5 gallon bucket) at on-set of flowering I begin to add 2mg CalMag per gallon with every watering and feeding. I've found that to work well for me during flowering.

Masteroogway420

Masteroogway420

Many growers rule of thumb is Feed nutrients every other watering. But determining when to start feeding and how much feed can be puzzling.

According to FoxFarms there is sufficient amounts of NPK to support 4 weeks of vegetative growth. The same recommendation is made for FoxFarms StrawBerryfields. After 4 weeks FoxFarms recommends beginning the feeding of Macro and Micro nutes. But then the question is : How much nutrients do I give the plant.

I use FoxFarm soil mixes Happy Frog (Veg) and FoxFarm StrawberryFields (Flower) and I adhere to that recommendation. I also use FoxFarms 3 part nutrients and the feeding amounts vary from plant to plant. Have you reviewed FoxFarms feeding recommendation charts ?

I also use Sensi CalMag. During vegetative stages I do not add CalMag to my HappyFrog soil mix. After transplanting into StrawBerryFields (5 gallon bucket) at on-set of flowering I begin to add 2mg CalMag per gallon with every watering and feeding. I've found that to work well for me during flowering.
Thank you so much for the help, I’ll go ahead and try and use that rule of thumb👍

Masteroogway420

Masteroogway420

Make sure to check for light stress, incorrect ph levels and other factors before just going to calmag, some times the deficiency is from those things and not the nutrient itself
Will do, since someone stated above that using RO water will strip the nutrients from my happy frog soil does that mean I need to add nutrients to the water every time?

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Will do, since someone stated above that using RO water will strip the nutrients from my happy frog soil does that mean I need to add nutrients to the water every time?
I add calmag to every watering.

I use 50/50 mix of FF Happy Frog and Ocean Forest. I don’t start feeding nutrients until 4th week of waterings.

I feed nutrients every other feeding if I can water twice a week, otherwise I will feed nutrients every watering at half dosage if I’m watering once a week.

If you alternate your feedings or feeding nutrients everytime, if you’re using RO you MUST introduce calmag in every feeding until the last weeks of flower.

Masteroogway420

Masteroogway420

I add calmag to every watering.

I use 50/50 mix of FF Happy Frog and Ocean Forest. I don’t start feeding nutrients until 4th week of waterings.

I feed nutrients every other feeding if I can water twice a week, otherwise I will feed nutrients every watering at half dosage if I’m watering once a week.

If you alternate your feedings or feeding nutrients everytime, if you’re using RO you MUST introduce calmag in every feeding until the last weeks of flower.
Okay thank you, if I were to use store bought spring water would I still need to use cal mag?

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Okay thank you, if I were to use store bought spring water would I still need to use cal mag?
Yes spring water has calcium and magnesium, the exact levels would have to be tested to confirm if it’s enough, or if additional calmag will be needed depending on your stage of growth

Masteroogway420

Masteroogway420

In place of calmag if you don’t have it already, a splash from some micronutrients to give the water a little ppm can do the same thing
Okay thanks I got a bottle of AN Sensi Cal Mag coming on the way, I’m going to be using store bought spring water should I add a little cal mag every watering from germination?

Lockebox

Lockebox

Okay thanks I got a bottle of AN Sensi Cal Mag coming on the way, I’m going to be using store bought spring water should I add a little cal mag every watering from germination?
If you’re using springwater and happy frog soil, I would think you’re all right for a little while at least.

Happy frog can be good as far as nutrients go but quality is up and down you’ll just have to see

Masteroogway420

Masteroogway420

If you’re using springwater and happy frog soil, I would think you’re all right for a little while at least.

Happy frog can be good as far as nutrients go but quality is up and down you’ll just have to see
Great, thank

Great, I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you so much for the help!

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
When I first started dwc 5 years ago now I had a terrible time controlling my ph when I used 100% ro water.

Tried a 50/50 mix of tap water and ro to cut the starting high ppms of my tap water this king it will hurt the plants or burn them after the nutes.

Still had ph fluxes, it was driving me insane and costing me dearly in quality and quantity.

So I. Thought can't get any worse and with a starting ppm of 750 I now use 100% tap water cam mag every top up.

I never check ppms or ph nor do I adjust ph at all, and feed full strength nutes and my dwc plants grow crazy fast fills my one tent with one plant in the blink of an eye it seems, what I was doing was fussing over it so much so I don't fail, that I was the cause of the problems.

I honestly don't heck any parameters or even change the water any more just top up when needed, and my dwc is the best it's ever been.

Actually I also every top up use a product called enzyme komplete, it's actually a cleaning agent but is safe to use in my res, to keep the slime away like a kinda bennies

Sorry thought this was dwc problem this is the hydroponics forums.

Top Bottom