should I water right before putting into 72-hour dark period before harvest? blue cheese in coco at week 9 flower

• Thread starter bearded_buds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bearded_buds

trying to figure out if I should water right before I put two plants into their dark cycle? I'm on week nine of flower seeing about 15% amber trichomes at this point. I would assume no water or very little...just stoned and confuzzeled

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

trying to figure out if I should water right before I put two plants into their dark cycle? I'm on week nine of flower seeing about 15% amber trichomes at this point. I would assume no water or very little...just stoned and confuzzeled
Why are you planning on 72 hrs of darkness? That 72 hrs of darkness prior to cutting makes no noticeable difference in the quality of the smoke. While I know that people do this, science has shown that it's not necessary. Most growers that I know completely skip the extended darkness and harvest at roughly 10% amber trichomes.

Post some close up pictures if you're not sure if it's ready. If you decide to cut it, no need to water it. If you're going to let it grow a few more days, water it and keep it happy.

B

bearded_buds

once their lights come on I'll post a mico pic but for my liking they are definitely ready for sure. also the dark cycle is just something I have done in the past was how I was taught and it doesn't do any harm to them. I haven't heard any reasons as why not to do it other than a rush of time. and I'm not cutting them I let them dry out naturally by up rooting them and hang with whole root still attached....I also use very very little amounts of nutrients maybe once every 4 feeding ....I believe in less is more.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

once their lights come on I'll post a mico pic but for my liking they are definitely ready for sure. also the dark cycle is just something I have done in the past was how I was taught and it doesn't do any harm to them. I haven't heard any reasons as why not to do it other than a rush of time. and I'm not cutting them I let them dry out naturally by up rooting them and hang with whole root still attached....I also use very very little amounts of nutrients maybe once every 4 feeding ....I believe in less is more.
It's not going to harm them, but it doesn't provide any real benefits either.

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

I have no idea about the 72 hour dark stuff but if you want sticky buds you need to water them the night before you harvest. Dispensary growers around here starve the plant for water before they harvest so they can get it dried faster and put into those trimming machines that do all the work for you. They end up with dried brown dust weed that they charge top shelf prices for. Greed ruins everything.

B

bearded_buds

PXL 20220624 132939408PORTRAIT
PXL 20220623 155621524PORTRAIT

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Actually it has been shown by Bruce Bugbee that you take away your food source (light) and you stop producing terps and cannabinoids. Really makes no sense from that perspective.

The best version of your plant is the one where it is happily producing sugar and converting it to the appropriate molecules. Can't do that with no light.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

It seems like you have an awful lot of white stigmas on those buds. I think you're looking at trichs on the leaves, not the bracts. Leaf trichs don't count.

I'd wait a week and then try a harvest without benefit of bro science.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I don't get the 72 hours,people worry about things like a tiny light on on a humidifier then stress the shit out of them with 72 hrs darkness?

B

bearded_buds

I think everybody was confused if I wanted opinions on the 72 hours or not I don't I do it anyways regardless.... was just simply asking for somebody who does do it would it be beneficial to water or not to water.....water was the question not the dark period

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I think everybody was confused if I wanted opinions on the 72 hours or not I don't I do it anyways regardless.... was just simply asking for somebody who does do it would it be beneficial to water or not to water.....water was the question not the dark period
My comment was about ripeness.

None of us understand what is supposed to be happening during the long dark period, so whether extra water would be beneficial would best be answered by a 72 hour darkness guru. One thing is certain, transpiration will be very low compared to normal light days. I don't think the plants will be suffering from lack of water.

Madmax

Madmax

I dont even give mine water last couple days still under light cycle as to help with the drying..the buds are pretty much done so it doesnt affect giving them nothing last couple .

K

Killzone

I sleeped my for 24 hours did not feed buds are really soft and moist..Is that normal? Sorry first grow

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I think what his mentor(s) thought and passed down to him was by putting them into darkness it would shock them into thinking winter is around the corner so start pumping resin and fattening up those flowers so that when they die they can drop seed and those seeds will be at their peak health to get them through winter. I've heard this over the years and seen other growers employing it as they too were told this by their mentor(s). How much validity it has is really dependent on what science says and, as has been noted, science says it has no effect.

We're all susceptible to broscience, me included, but science should be the basis of our knowledge base so, even though it's hard to let go of practices that we believe to be beneficial to our plants we need to be open minded and be able to accept that what we've been told by trusted sources is only as good as those trusted sources ........well.....trusted sources!🤔🤨

Which brings me to this threadjack.....I put my girls in dark for 36 hours before I change up my light schedule to 12/12. Apparently it's supposed to shock the girls into thinking winter is coming and trigger some sort of hormonal change in them that produces more bud sites and gets those bud sites to pop pistil faster. IIRC, I read this in one of those "How to grow weed" books. I think I got this from the Jorge Cervantes book. Valid or Broscience?

OP...short answer? Don't water unless your media is bone dry and I would wait a day for water level in the media to balance out if you do have to water.

MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

I’ve heard that the root zone is most active during daylight hours

Latest posts

Top Bottom