Should you cut fan leaves

• Thread starter 11Ron11
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
11Ron11

11Ron11

Yes you cut fan leaves. They cover bud sites from light penetration. If you are unsure go on YouTube and look up Kyle kushman on plant defoliating and chiropractic techniques. You don't want all that larf on the bottom of your plant. It only takes away from the main colas. Just my 02 cents.
I have went to YouTube and that is why I am unsure.
There is more then 1 way to do things.
I like to collect all info and then experiment and eventually come up with my way.
I definitely will be heavily cropping 1 plant to see and another with nothing.
Im curious if there are some on this site that can show there plants heavily cropped and others untouched.
But then different strains will react differently so would be hard to compare.
Ultimately hard to choose 1 method when you can get experienced grows doing both methods.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I personally like all the different light types a nice mix and it's gotta be sweet to be able to dial in the spectrum you want.
Its my first time running it with the LED in there, used to just have the 2 HID in the middle. It's been surprisingly easy to balance the canopy despite the huge difference in wattage. 2Kw HID on the left and 900w LED on the right.
Definitely not a bad thing to have so many spectrums and sources of light.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

In my anecdotal experience, side by side comparisons on lower and middle fan defoilation on day 22 and then total defoilation on 40 results in increased yield and resin content. Check out Grandmasterlevel on IG he does complete strip 2x. It’s shocking how they look and how quickly they bounce back.
That's in Hydro. Lets not forget different mediums react differently.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
this is what i thought as well
Some leaves are important to ensure you get adequate photosynthesis and carb production, but its a misconception that the leaves beside the node feeds that node alone, any source leaf can redirect mobile nutrients and carbs to anywhere on the plant.

On that, leaves can be either sinks or sources. Which is to say they are either taking nutrients in and storing them for later use, or they are making and mobilizing carbs and releasing nutrients to be used elsewhere in the plant. Any leaf can serve either function based on its age and location on the plant.

With regard to defoliation, the nutrients stored in the source leaves are of little concern because feeding them chelated nutrients bypasses any problems associated with an unbalanced diet. The main consideration is carbohydrates which are produced in abundance in mature leaves. If you strip a plant too hard at the wrong time you can handicap its ability to make energy. But if you strip it at the right time, you can ensure that most of the leaves that develop in the early part of stretch will become sugar factories.

You can tell when a cannabis leaf transitions from a sink to a source usually when it's leaf petiole turns purple, indicating that it's producing and exporting excess sugars.

Observationist

Observationist

Some leaves are important to ensure you get adequate photosynthesis and carb production, but its a misconception that the leaves beside the node feeds that node alone, any source leaf can redirect mobile nutrients and carbs to anywhere on the plant.

On that, leaves can be either sinks or sources. Which is to say they are either taking nutrients in and storing them for later use, or they are making and mobilizing carbs and releasing nutrients to be used elsewhere in the plant. Any leaf can serve either function based on its age and location on the plant.

With regard to defoliation, the nutrients stored in the source leaves are of little concern because feeding them chelated nutrients bypasses any problems associated with an unbalanced diet. The main consideration is carbohydrates which are produced in abundance in mature leaves. If you strip a plant too hard at the wrong time you can handicap its ability to make energy. But if you strip it at the right time, you can ensure that most of the leaves that develop in the early part of stretch will become sugar factories.

You can tell when a cannabis leaf transitions from a sink to a source usually when it's leaf petiole turns purple, indicating that it's producing and exporting excess sugars.
ok sweet, thanks!

growsince79

growsince79

If you top a plant in early veg then cut off one of opposite leaves, the new branch with the leaf under it will outgrow the opposite branch with no leaf feeding it. That's not so in flower, at least not with my plants. The opposite bud is just as big as the one with the leaf feeding it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
If you top a plant in early veg then cut off one of opposite leaves, the new branch with the leaf under it will outgrow the opposite branch with no leaf feeding it. That's not so in flower, at least not with my plants. The opposite bud is just as big as the one with the leaf feeding it.
That's an interesting observation. The leaf below a growing branch is normally a purple petioled source leaf and the branch nearest to it is going to drain most of the energy it puts out. By flower the plants hormones change and the flowers act as sinks pulling energy and nutrients from anywhere it can get it. Odd observation nonetheless. I'd have to think a bit too hard to try and fully explain that one.

TonyMac2020

TonyMac2020

I've realized throughout the 4 or so grows I've had that #1: most genetics are "good" if good means recovery time is normal without side effects. Up until this point I haven't had any herms or foxtailing what is supposed genetically formed. #2 Stress usually causes more trichomes/light penetration causes more bud sites. This has been done over and over in my garden to less desirable plants making them trophies over the plants I call myself protecting. #3 Fan leaves are important if you aren't dialed in and/or lights are blowing out your space. I've seen bud sites that had more trichomes that were covered by fan leaves that were less developed but when I stripped leaves around that very same bud site, it would grow up and gain mass whereas super cropping would stunt(allowing non super cropped stems on said plant or even others to catch up during same run) advantage for especially soilless (I do coco) but these super cropped stems would have guess what...even more trichomes when done correctly this growing weed stuff is really handy guys get stoned then do it stop taking it so seriously put a V8 in the pinto lol

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

It's a learning curve, just like anything else.
After maybe 10 or 20 grows you know how to grow weed. After maybe another 30 (3/year) you are seeing the tiny details that escape others. You've become an expert.

growsince79

growsince79

That's an interesting observation. The leaf below a growing branch is normally a purple petioled source leaf and the branch nearest to it is going to drain most of the energy it puts out. By flower the plants hormones change and the flowers act as sinks pulling energy and nutrients from anywhere it can get it. Odd observation nonetheless. I'd have to think a bit too hard to try and fully explain that one.

A young plant needs every leaf it can get. Root and stems need energy to grow. I think the big fan leaves are less important in flower. I try to grow very small plants, so I leave most on. Clean up the bottoms a bit and have no larf.

BudhaSticks

BudhaSticks

From what I have researched most People say:

1 Don't cut at all it harms the plant.
2 Cut some for air flow and light
3 Only cut bottom leaves as they are useless.
4 Cut all fan leaves to provide all energy to new growth.

From my understanding the only reason for fan leaves is that they act as a reservoir for the plant on dry days but if you grow indoors and there will never be dry days why give the extra energy to useless leaves.

Cutting a plant will obviously damage it my concern would be stress will it stunt the growth if slowly but continually cut all fan leaves.

Is pruning really worth it mother nature seems to do a good job..
Fan leaves
Watch this video. I tried supercropping on 4 x AK47 Fem, only way to grow

brotherfrombelgium

brotherfrombelgium

I have went to YouTube and that is why I am unsure.
There is more then 1 way to do things.
I like to collect all info and then experiment and eventually come up with my way.
I definitely will be heavily cropping 1 plant to see and another with nothing.
Im curious if there are some on this site that can show there plants heavily cropped and others untouched.
But then different strains will react differently so would be hard to compare.
Ultimately hard to choose 1 method when you can get experienced grows doing both methods.
This is OGKUSH day 24 of flowering, have hardly touched it, removing fan leaves that block sites is a given.
The plants you see were in very bad shape when i flipped them, i just let them go and hoped for the best.

DAY24FLOWEROGKUSH
GanjaJack

GanjaJack

Its my first time running it with the LED in there, used to just have the 2 HID in the middle. It's been surprisingly easy to balance the canopy despite the huge difference in wattage. 2Kw HID on the left and 900w LED on the right.
Definitely not a bad thing to have so many spectrums and sources of light.

I notice when I start my plants under the T5's which is 3 x 3(or whatever), I get an incredibly flat canopy with the main stem usually staying within 2-3 inches of the tops of the other branches. But then come flower time, forget it.. LOL!!!

Top Bottom