show us your bugs.

• Thread starter ken dog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ken dog

ken dog

I thought this might be a fun thread for us farmers.

Here's one of mine... a ladybug.

Show us your bugs

Coir

Coir

Bald faced hornets are no joke. One of the worst stings I ever had. They are extremely aggressive anytime you get within distance of the nest. They were dive bombing me every time I went into my shop. The nest was at the peak of the roof under the overhang.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sheesh! I'd never seen them before and frankly, couldn't believe my eyes. This thing was, as you could have told me, HUGE! I felt a little bit sorry for the yellow jacket, but the moment was fleeting.

Coir

Coir

M6C4471

Here is the adult Aphidoletes Aphidimyza. They are attracted to the honeydew left behind by aphids. The lay their eggs in the middle of the aphid colony. To give you an idea of the size, this adult is smaller than a fungus gnat.

Coir

Coir

M6C4492

Thrip larva(left) being hunted down by Amblysius cucumeris(right) The predatory mite Amblysius Cucumeris provides complete control of adult and immature thrips that are living on the leaves. I place slow release bags in the crop at the first signs and forget about them.

ken dog

ken dog

happy new year farmers!!!

I need your help farmers...
I went over to my buddies house today, and we found one of these in his room.
it was hard to catch, because it flies.

I took it home and took a picture of it next to a scalpel, so you can get some idea of the size.

anyone know what it is?
sorry for the quality, it was taken with my smartphone... and it's the best I can do.
20140101 013230
20140101 012416
20140101 012810

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Either fungus gnat or root aphid. I can't remember which one's wings lay flat over top of each other and which one's wings meet in a little pyramid over their back.

ken dog

ken dog

thanks seamaiden... He thinks he got them in dirt, but he has an ebb and flow table as well.

are they found both in water and dirt?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
IME they're found around plants. ;) My first experience with root aphids was in an outdoor hempy tub, pure perlite.

ken dog

ken dog

thanks Seamaiden,:)
I looked it up just now...

I'll find out a little bit more before I give him a call... it looks like he needs to do something about them.

and I don't want to accidentally get them.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Last night my son taught me that the 'caterpillars' that devastate out OD buds is a hornworm. Whenever we see those little white moths, we've got a problem brewing.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Somewhere in my pics is a few of a hornworm munching on a pepper plant of mine.

ken dog

ken dog

how do you like working with the lady bugs?
I gave up on them because I didn't like the fact that they would get everywhere that they could hide... When you want to clean your lights for example, you'd find several here and there.

I got tired of cleaning up lady bug shells. LOL

Top Bottom