Sick looking leaves

• Thread starter seamus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

seamus

Hi Farm,I wondered if anyone can help me? I've got small grow of five young (2 week old) hazes all doing fine except for one, its a strawberry haze from GHS. The leaves one node from the crown are crinkling along one side, causing them to curl round and wierd right out. Like I said , all the others are doing fine , I know the genetics are top quality. Has anyone ever had snags with strawberry hazes in its young stages. Could it possibly be an isolated fungal attack? It looks rather like aphid/thrip damage but we can't see any of the little buggers and have looked under the microscope. All these babies have suffered a bit from signs of fungus gnat and I sprayed them last night with my usual pyrethrum mix which is usually very effective. They are in soil coco mix with perlite & worm casts, PH is fine: 6.7.Can't think of any more info at the mo. RO water & rain water.Here are some very poor quality pics,sorry but that's as good as they get.

Sick looking leaves
S

supasticky

They look burned, like nute burn. or a pH problem.

-Supa

S

seamus

It does look like a burn of some sort,they're all on the same feed,under the same light,all the same size.The rest are fine,can you get a light burn off of LED,you'd be hard pushed wouldn't you?It doesn't look like its spreading,assuming its nute what would you recommend-flush?

S

supasticky

Yah the led's put off only a little heat right? I would say flush and check the run off pH. Are you using nutrients, if so how long have you had it in the soil?

-Supa

S

seamus

Yes my Ph is maybe a little up,just over 6.5-6.Keep expecting creepy crawlies under the microscope,everything else OK,strange one.Thank you Supasticky for the much needed input,not at death's door but doing my head in still,keep my eye on this one.Cheers Seamus

S

seamus

Ya know what Supa,it's not that bad.I saw a pic in Jorge Cervantes's Bible that looks a ringer for it,damage from strong bug spray.like i said a the start of this thread,i "had" a Fungus Gnat prob.That was before i decided to blast the shit out of them before they got a hold.Whether its nute or chem burn i've got my eye on it,thanks for help bro,this site always comes good.

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

That one pic you have shows over watering. Your mention of fungus gnat problem confirms it. Fungus gnats only develop when the top of the soil or soiless mix stays wet, which is common when germing and constantly spraying seedlings. When you get the first few gnats, put up your pyrethrum and just let your mix dry out at least a 1/2" to 1" in cups, 1"-2" in 1 gallon pots and 1 1/2"-2" in 3 gallon pots. If you have to have the extra moisture to germ some beans or keep some cuts alive, a week or so before you dry them out won't hurt. They're not that invasive. Don't use spray unless you have to. Peace, sarge.

K

KrazyDan

It's PH...your coco needs 5.8 PH as a religion.....should runoff at 6.3-6.4 tops

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
5.8-6.1 for coco is fine, but if we're talking coco then he's got to pay attention to Ca/Mg.

It does look like a burn of some sort,they're all on the same feed,under the same light,all the same size.The rest are fine,can you get a light burn off of LED,you'd be hard pushed wouldn't you?It doesn't look like its spreading,assuming its nute what would you recommend-flush?
I honestly don't see how an LED rig is going to physically burn the plants.

But, you mention battling fungus gnats. You know that spraying the adults doesn't do a thing to the larvae (who are the ones that do the real damage), right? You'll need either a soil drench or you can try what I do--thick layer of sand on top. It's difficult to allow coco to dry out too much, you just don't have the buffer soil does. A mix like you have may give you a little wiggle room in that regard, though.

Couple other products you can try if you can get them, Gnatrol, Gnat-Off, and something called mosquito dunks. I believe they're all BTi (Bacillus thuringiensis israeli), gives 'em tiny tummy aches. The dunks would need to be ground up so they can be sprinkled on top, and you can also allow them to dissolve in your feeding solution so it can be applied wet. In my coco I ended up giving all a little dose of Avid. That stuff is practically nuclear, so if you go that route take extra-special care in application and keeping yourself safe.

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

5.8-6.1 for coco is fine, but if we're talking coco then he's got to pay attention to Ca/Mg.

I honestly don't see how an LED rig is going to physically burn the plants.

But, you mention battling fungus gnats. You know that spraying the adults doesn't do a thing to the larvae (who are the ones that do the real damage), right? You'll need either a soil drench or you can try what I do--thick layer of sand on top. It's difficult to allow coco to dry out too much, you just don't have the buffer soil does. A mix like you have may give you a little wiggle room in that regard, though.

Couple other products you can try if you can get them, Gnatrol, Gnat-Off, and something called mosquito dunks. I believe they're all BTi (Bacillus thuringiensis israeli), gives 'em tiny tummy aches. The dunks would need to be ground up so they can be sprinkled on top, and you can also allow them to dissolve in your feeding solution so it can be applied wet. In my coco I ended up giving all a little dose of Avid. That stuff is practically nuclear, so if you go that route take extra-special care in application and keeping yourself safe.

All of your soulutions involve watering which causes the problem. Letting the top of the mix dry a little gets rid of them easily. The sand would probably help.

S

seamus

Thanks Farm,that's given me plenty to think about,the fungus Gnat is down and under control for the mo.The Py spray i brought in a hurry from a florist out of convienience,its literally 2 mins away,unfortunatly it doesn't state how much of active ingred there is.I know one thing your all right that i overwatered the main problem plant,she's picked up for laying off the watering.I need to up my game with the critters,whatever strength it is it may've been working but its not as effective now,that and i need to go shopping and break the cycle once and for all.If thats also the case PH wise with me and coco,its looking like i've been running things too high up to now.What would be the easist way to permanently stay on top of things,i always seem to read 6.5 through most of the grow.Is this bad.Cheers Seamus

Top Bottom