Sick Plant, first timer need some help!

• Thread starter Dtraderbudz23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dtraderbudz23

I have 6 plants currently. 4x4 Mars hydro FC 4800 on 50% 18-6 two fans 24/7 and cloudline t6 exhaust pulling air out. Temp sits around 78 F and 55 % humidity. The only one that looks even remotely sick is this girl the other 5 are fine. I have them in miracle grow seedling soil right now. I have been cooking organic pro mix soil for about 22 days I am almost done and will transplant them into 5 gal air pots. I think this looks like either potassium or mag deficiency. At first I thought it was light burn but its been getting worse. I have purchased roots organic terp tea currently brewing will be ready in 12 hours. Am I correct in my diagnosis?

Sick plant first timer need some help
Sick plant first timer need some help 2
Sick plant first timer need some help 3
HaveApuff

HaveApuff

Not sure how high your lights are above your plant, but it does have the appearance your lights might be to close. Young plants do not need a lot of intense light...try raising up your light (s) or dial them back.

Last edited:
D

Dtraderbudz23

I did have them too close at first I believe. I have them exactly 18 inches from the tips and my fc 4800 is currently at 50% strength on the dimmer. It seems odd to me that only 1 of the 6 is showing signs of leaf burn though. Wouldn't they all have tips looking like that?

2Bad

2Bad

I did have them too close at first I believe. I have them exactly 18 inches from the tips and my fc 4800 is currently at 50% strength on the dimmer. It seems odd to me that only 1 of the 6 is showing signs of leaf burn though. Wouldn't they all have tips looking like that?
Yeah I mean I have the FCE 4800 and I use the photon app on my iphone and at about 36inches and 25 percent is about what I can get away with in Veg. But then again youre using miracle grow and that's never a good thing. Unless they are clones theyll all react differently.

2Bad

2Bad

All strains have different breaking points . Try the photon app and try to get 70ppf under the full spectrum tool.

edit: I lied I think it should actually be 10-30 ppf at ur stage

D

Dtraderbudz23

Yeah I mean I have the FCE 4800 and I use the photon app on my iphone and at about 36inches and 25 percent is about what I can get away with in Veg. But then again youre using miracle grow and that's never a good thing. Unless they are clones theyll all react differently.
Well I followed someone's organic recipe with the pro mix on here and they used the same miracle gro seedling bag to start the plants off. Again my first time ever growing so had to have some kind of guide and that's the one I followed. Why is using miracle gro seedling soil bad exactly?

2Bad

2Bad

Well I followed someone's organic recipe with the pro mix on here and they used the same miracle gro seedling bag to start the plants off. Again my first time ever growing so had to have some kind of guide and that's the one I followed. Why is using miracle gro seedling soil bad exactly?
If i'm being honest all my info is just a guess lol i'm only on my second season. I've just always heard bad things about miracle gro. Do you have the organic recipe link?

D

Dtraderbudz23

Not sure how high your lights are above your plant, but it does have the appearance your lights might be to close. Young plants do not need a lot of intense light...try raising up your light (s) or dial them back.
If the new growth doesn't look like this after I dial back the lights a bit and raise the light up then I guess I'll know it's light burn correct?

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
All strains have different breaking points . Try the photon app and try to get 70ppf under the full spectrum tool.

edit: I lied I think it should actually be 10-30 ppf at ur stage
I ran about 100 PFFD on the photon app under 4’ LED grow lights till about 6 days old then jumped to 250 PFFD under my kingLED’s at 30” (most of the time had them slightly too close when I changed tents but picked them back up to about 30”) but there all kicking ass so idk, I thought you’re supposed to be around 200-250 on seedlings,

The foliage in those pics look very light green to me though could be the miracle gro affecting that though

freezeland2

freezeland2

If i'm being honest all my info is just a guess lol i'm only on my second season. I've just always heard bad things about miracle gro. Do you have the organic recipe link?
Miracle grow is crap for Cannabis. It has a lot of slow release additives that reap havoc on it.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

@Dtraderbudz23 The first question that comes to mind when I'm looking at your plants is what are your watering habits? What size container are they currently in and how much/how often are you watering them? Also, can you post a picture of the whole plant?

2Bad

2Bad

I ran about 100 PFFD on the photon app under 4’ LED grow lights till about 6 days old then jumped to 250 PFFD under my kingLED’s at 30” (most of the time had them slightly too close when I changed tents but picked them back up to about 30”) but there all kicking ass so idk, I thought you’re supposed to be around 200-250 on seedlings,

The foliage in those pics look very light green to me though could be the miracle gro affecting that though
I'm new to the photon app I thought you had to multiply by 10 to get the right #. I'm probably incorrect on that.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I'm new to the photon app I thought you had to multiply by 10 to get the right #. I'm probably incorrect on that.
Oof I hope not when I switch my bloom lights on they read at 1500 PFFD at 12” lol that would be 15,000 PPFD and I highly doubt my lights are putting that out

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

This plant was possibly overwatered at one point. Also potentially a bit too close to the light.

Miracle grow isn't the best product for cannabis but it's definitely NOT a kiss of death its fine if used properly. There are better products on the market for cannabis and this is why people don't use it as much. Please don't let people on this forum tell you that the Miracle Grow alone is the reason why your plants are dying that simply is not true. In my beginning years I literally grew hundreds of plants in Miracle Grow full on 10ft trees in 30 gallon pots. They can do good in MG but the most important thing is the skill of the grower. It doesn't matter how great your medium is if you overwater or make other mistakes its gonna negatively effect the plants. Thats personally what I think is happening here.

Anthem

Anthem

This plant was possibly overwatered at one point. Also potentially a bit too close to the light.

Miracle grow isn't the best product for cannabis but it's definitely NOT a kiss of death its fine if used properly. There are better products on the market for cannabis and this is why people don't use it as much. Please don't let people on this forum tell you that the Miracle Grow alone is the reason why your plants are dying that simply is not true. In my beginning years I literally grew hundreds of plants in Miracle Grow full on 10ft trees in 30 gallon pots. They can do good in MG but the most important thing is the skill of the grower. It doesn't matter how great your medium is if you overwater or make other mistakes its gonna negatively effect the plants. Thats personally what I think is happening here.
No experience with Miracle grow, but the plant looks over watered, as mentioned in this post. Stupid question but did you add some drainage holes to the red cups before placing plants in them?

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

No experience with Miracle grow, but the plant looks over watered, as mentioned in this post. Stupid question but did you add some drainage holes to the red cups before placing plants in them?
This is a very good point. You gotta make sure you add lots of holes in the bottom. Sometimes I even poke some holes in the sides too. One time I overpacked my soil and was having oxygen issues. I poked more holes in the sides of the solo cups and also started watering less and I was able to save all my sprouts.

D

Dtraderbudz23

Yes I did stab about 4 pen size holes in the bottom of the cups. I read so much about over watering I made a point to never do it. I water till drainage comes out from the bottom and then I don't water again until my meter is about 2 or so which says the soil is dry. So it's about 7 days between watering. The one that's in the picture was almost dead center of the light which I believe is where the most power is and I had the light only 8 inches away. So after all these posts I have to agree it's probably light burn. I have moved this one to the side away from center of the light and hope this one makes it. If not I guess I'll have learned a valuable lesson.

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

Young plants don't need as much light as most new growers think, and hence give them too much light. 18" above the plants with that 4x4 Mars hydro FC 4800...even at 50% setting seems way too much light, especially if you have all 5 LED bars lit up. When I have my clones in solo cups I keep my lights up to the top of my frames with only one light of the three I have on at this time, and this works great. Also, keeping young plants close together helps you see how much light is really needed. Here is a photo to show how I do it...

20220315 120156
20220315 120221
Top Bottom