Side Lighting with LEDs? Question

• Thread starter Miked1988
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Miked1988

Miked1988

I have a luxx pro 646w I’m using right now and I’m in the process of getting another light similar to the luxx to place of the side of it.. so I’ll be running 2 x 645w or maybe another 680w(depending on the light) (the luxx is 645w), BUT I wanted to add additional supplemental lighting for the sides (specifically a LED light bar) .. what are your guys opinions on side lighting or even bottem lighting? I just need to figure out how I would probably mount a long LED bar like this to the poles..

this is my grow right now (1st pic)

the 2nd pic is a copy/paste simulation to paint a clearer picture of what I’m talking about Lol

Side lighting with leds question
Side lighting with leds question 2
Anthem

Anthem

I have a luxx pro 646w I’m using right now and I’m in the process of getting another light similar to the luxx to place of the side of it.. so I’ll be running 2 x 645w or maybe another 680w(depending on the light) (the luxx is 645w), BUT I wanted to add additional supplemental lighting for the sides (specifically a LED light bar) .. what are your guys opinions on side lighting or even bottem lighting? I just need to figure out how I would probably mount a long LED bar like this to the poles..

this is my grow right now (1st pic)

the 2nd pic is a copy/paste simulation to paint a clearer picture of what I’m talking about Lol
I would not recommend adding additional lighting with those lights in up to a 5' x 5' configuration. They are basically on par with the more known LED strip fixtures and should not require any additional side light. But good luck with your choice.

Miked1988

Miked1988

I would not recommend adding additional lighting with those lights in up to a 5' x 5' configuration. They are basically on par with the more known LED strip fixtures and should not require any additional side light. But good luck with your choice.
Thanks for the feedback bro.. I’m in a 4x8 but it’s a cheap tint so I’m going to upgrade to a 4x8 or a 5x9 gorilla tent in the text few weeks or so. So with those sizes in mind, would you still say no on the additional light? Think it would be overkill?

Anthem

Anthem

Thanks for the feedback bro.. I’m in a 4x8 but it’s a cheap tint so I’m going to upgrade to a 4x8 or a 5x9 gorilla tent in the text few weeks or so. So with those sizes in mind, would you still say no on the additional light? Think it would be overkill?
two of those in a 5' x 9' will work really well with no additional lighting. Good Luck with your grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miked1988

Miked1988

Pretty sure fluence has side lights ie individual bars available
Thanks bro I’ll check them out, originally I was looking at Atreum lightings led bars and they have some good deals right now so thats one of the reasons I was thinking about it

Anthem

Anthem

Thanks bro I’ll check them out, originally I was looking at Atreum lightings led bars and they have some good deals right now so thats one of the reasons I was thinking about it
If you find out Fluence has side lighting please post. I was not aware of Fluence offering side lighting. The Spyder 2I is a beast.

cottageman

cottageman

If you’re looking at side lighting the led bars from pacific light concepts are perfect for that and they’re diy so you can do whatever you want with them basically. I have the atreum 4ft led bars over a veg table and they’re performing great. You can add side lighting if you’d like but those lights should be good enough. I built my new room with them and they’ve been kicking ass so far!

Miked1988

Miked1988

If you’re looking at side lighting the led bars from pacific light concepts are perfect for that and they’re diy so you can do whatever you want with them basically. I have the atreum 4ft led bars over a veg table and they’re performing great. You can add side lighting if you’d like but those lights should be good enough. I built my new room with them and they’ve been kicking ass so far!
Thanks for the reply bro! Those were exactly the lights I was looking at too! They have a deal for 2 of them for around $200 that’s what caught my attention

Miked1988

Miked1988

If you find out Fluence has side lighting please post. I was not aware of Fluence offering side lighting. The Spyder 2I is a beast.
Will do bro!, the only thing I’ve been able to find is the ray22, but I’m looking at their catalog of lights checking them all out

Anthem

Anthem

Will do bro!, the only thing I’ve been able to find is the ray22, but I’m looking at their catalog of lights checking them all out
To be honest I do not think Fluence does not offer any side lighting. They really cater to the professional growing community.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Imho there is no need for side lighting. Grow an even canopy and clean the underside. If you want spaced out trees like outdoor maybe but imo its not a good idea as you need the airflow and will really stain the humidity from late veg through flower. Add to that the penetration is pretty dam good with leds as the ones you have carry a good amount of green also which penetrates extremely well. Then the fact you are gonna screw with shade response and likely create issues making an even canopy.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If you had the space between plants and height to grow trees i would maybe say go for it. But not the case here.

cottageman

cottageman

Imho there is no need for side lighting. Grow an even canopy and clean the underside. If you want spaced out trees like outdoor maybe but imo its not a good idea as you need the airflow and will really stain the humidity from late veg through flower. Add to that the penetration is pretty dam good with leds as the ones you have carry a good amount of green also which penetrates extremely well. Then the fact you are gonna screw with shade response and likely create issues making an even canopy.
Side lighting still works really well with smaller plants I’ve seen multiple people have great success with it. Leds are great but they won’t penetrate 2-3 feet down and still have the intensity of full flower so side lighting will help fatten the lower buds. It’s definitely not necessary but it could definitely help and it won’t mess with an even canopy, sure it messes with shade avoidance but it actually has the light to grow properly so you don’t need the shade avoidance response in the first place. Miami mango on Instagram shows off an amazing garage grow that uses side lighting better than almost anyone I’ve ever seen

cottageman

cottageman

Here’s a link to one of the posts showing off the side lighting. This is a pretty high tech build but the concept is the same and it’s pretty badass even if it is a bit overkill

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Side lighting still works really well with smaller plants I’ve seen multiple people have great success with it. Leds are great but they won’t penetrate 2-3 feet down and still have the intensity of full flower so side lighting will help fatten the lower buds. It’s definitely not necessary but it could definitely help and it won’t mess with an even canopy, sure it messes with shade avoidance but it actually has the light to grow properly so you don’t need the shade avoidance response in the first place. Miami mango on Instagram shows off an amazing garage grow that uses side lighting better than almost anyone I’ve ever seen
I dont see that increasing penetration much at all but would like to see a side by side with and without. Personally really don't feel its cost would justify any gains.

Curious of the intensity and i dont believe leaves are angles properly to capture that light

Anthem

Anthem

May I ask when you are referring to LED's not penetrating 2-3 feet what specific brand and model of LED light you are referencing?

cottageman

cottageman

May I ask when you are referring to LED's not penetrating 2-3 feet what specific brand and model of LED light you are referencing?
Any light isn’t going to penetrate 3 feet into a canopy with full or the same intensity as it is at the top is all I’m trying to say that’s why some people do side lighting

Top Bottom