Silica and Compost Tea?

• Thread starter Green Mopho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Mopho

Green Mopho

I have a bunch of extra bottles of DM Silica and Mad Farmer's "Organic" Silica. I was wondering if I can add this to my water in light amounts before brewing an aerated compost tea? I'm not necessarily going for 100% organic, but I am feeding pretty much only EWC and Guano teas for this run. I am growing in lightly amended ProMix. I can always lower my pH afterwards with Hygrozyme to compensate for the high pH from the silica. Anyone else do this? I figure since many natural water supplies (springs, aquifers, artesian, etc.) already contain silica, so long as I mix it in first, it should effect microbial life.

L

LBZ Farmer

Uhhh I would be suprised if you can lower the ph from way up high where silica takes it back down to normal with hygozyme.

I used the Bloom Silica and 1mL would make 5 gallons of RO water ph go past 10

O

ODD

Good question. I've contemplated adding DM silica to my tea recently as well. My main concern, aside from potential ph issues, was that the DM silica bottle that I have says it also includes manganese EDTA. I get mixed opinions depending who I ask, but quite a few people are under the impression that the chelate EDTA will harm, if not destroy microlife. Not sure if it's true, but I left it out anyway just in case it is. Maybe protekt or structural integrity from HN would be a better choice if you really want to add silica to your tea. Or just water with silica/hygrozyme mix in between feedings?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have a bunch of extra bottles of DM Silica and Mad Farmer's "Organic" Silica. I was wondering if I can add this to my water in light amounts before brewing an aerated compost tea? I'm not necessarily going for 100% organic, but I am feeding pretty much only EWC and Guano teas for this run. I am growing in lightly amended ProMix. I can always lower my pH afterwards with Hygrozyme to compensate for the high pH from the silica. Anyone else do this? I figure since many natural water supplies (springs, aquifers, artesian, etc.) already contain silica, so long as I mix it in first, it should effect microbial life.
My initial feeling, without actually scoping it, would be that you'll be fine. I would dilute in a small bit of the original mix or water, first, then add it in.

Or, add rice hulls to the menu.

Doesn't Hygrozyme kill bennies, though? I swear I've read that (not a Hygrozyme user) somewhere. On the island...?

I

InTheBeginning

First of all are you making aerated compost tea, as stated or are you making guano tea? They are two very different things. Of course a small amount of guano in your compost tea won't hurt anything but the purpose of brewing compost tea is to extract and multiply the microorganisms present in your compost. If it is truly compost tea you are making, true silica in amounts of approximately 0.063 or less are probably going to be of benefit to microbial development. Be sure to put it in at the beginning of the brew. Mind you I know nothing of the product you have and do not know if it is pure silica. Screwing around with pH levels in compost tea is not advised. The microbial populations create the pH levels conducive to their homeostasis. [eg. fungi in general creates acid pH and bacteria creates alkaline pH] If you start screwing with the pH of the liquid you may throw off this balance.

~ITB

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

@Seamaiden: Was thinking the same thing, maybe not go full recommended strength for "Hydroponics" as per recommended on the bottle. Hygrozyme does not kill bennies from my understanding, it actually makes my compost teas go nuts and foam up like crazy and my organic soil plants love it.

@InTheBeginning: I am speaking of an aerated compost tea, although, yes, I do add a little dash of guano once in a while for a boost. I agree that one shouldn't mess with the pH of a aerated compost tea because, like you said, the microbes will create their own pH'd environment. But base tap water has a pretty wide range depending on region, climate, and season. I've seen tap water, even after going through a de-chlorinating filter as high as 8.4 and as low as 5.6 pH. And who knows what the mineral content is, I'm sure silica is present. What about river water? Microbes and silica living happily together...plants and microbial life seem to cope with it just fine. I think if I add it at 1/2 rate and dissolve it well into the clean water before brewing the tea, it should be fine.

Really, there is only one way to truly answer this question, and that is that I have to try it!

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

be interesting to see. i want to get into teas also i was planning on running a few of these bountea kit feeds in veg and in flower just like pigfarmer does his grows look amazing.

http://www.bountea.com/

this guy is setting world records and the kit is only $100 and stocked locally. the store owner advised me he could make one as good or better with some bio maxx product and a few other items (i think ewc or guano i forget this isn't my area).

I'd like to get into more organic growing also. thinking about using H&G bio-1 and these teas from start to finish but i just have been to lazy to test it out and not willing to risk it on a whole crop.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Yo str8! Thanks for stopping by. I'm having good luck with ProMix HP and feeding only ewc teas with a few additives and such. Worth a try if you are in the right medium, but will make a muck out of anything hydro.

S

Shredder

Here is a list of plants and what they have in them nutrient and mineral wise.

Also I want to say you can make great ewc/compost teas without buying a bottle of any thing other than molasses. I mostly fed my plants compost alfalfa meal tea thought out veg and early flower. Alfalfa meal was $12 for 50 lb. The compost was homemade.....shredder

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I make my own liquid silica addie using Nutra-Min, a mined and micronized (1000-2000 mesh) 50% silica product that is H2O soluble. I put it in solution w/ dolomite lime, citric acid, a bacterial inoculant, and molasses (micro feed), bubble it for a few days to break it down further and give my coir a good drench prior to blending together the finished mix.
PS Negligible pH ^ shift

MicNutra Min

Micronized mined minerals Contains 50-60% Si, 2% Ca, 3% Fe and over 50 trace minerals. Probable origin of Nutra Min is crustacean shell deposits and non-volcanic hydrothermal deposits along with acidic rocks from an ancient inland sea. Derived from bentonite, kaolinite, and montmorillonite, 1,000-2,000 mesh micronized material can be applied through any type of irrigation system.

another_sellout

another_sellout

Although I fear I may be posting on a dead thread, I've found green sand to be the trouble free silica additive for my tea, as well as a reliable mineral catalyst.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Here's my take.

Greensand is very good for re/mineralization, (high CEC) and as a K source but I think of it as an outdoor amendment to help rebuild a depleted and/or a compacted soil. It's unlikely that vigorous annuals grown in containers will receive the full benefit of non-soluble, relatively slow release amendments during their 3-4 mo(+/-) lifespan. I prefer H2O soluble, micronized and/or hydrolyzed organic nutes/mins/addies across the board if available. More nutritious teas/ferments, faster response time, more bang for the buck. Soluble organic nutes, including Si, can also be used in foliar solutions.

The more advanced the decomposition of the organic source material, the more energy conservation during growth, the more efficient the uptake.

Note: I grow indoors, in containers w/ a coir/rice hull base.

Top Bottom