Silica for soil grow?

• Thread starter KingHarvest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KingHarvest

I've been reading about the benefits of using silica. Sounds like it is needed for hydroponics but is it necessary for soil grows?

Blaze

Blaze

I don't know if I would go so far as it is "needed" for soil but it does help. Silica benefits the plant in any style of grow. For a cheap and easy way to add silica to your soil, use rice hulls. The also provide excellent drainage. Just be sure to get the par boiled ones. If you use just regular rice hulls, you can end up with lots of little rice seedling popping up in your soil, plus they can transmit pests and diseases.

G

GreenShadows

I defiantly would recommend for soil. You can get silica as a liquid, as a by-product of rice hulls and possibly some legumes, you can also get it in rock form.

It helped my girls heal quickly from storm damage and it increases stem and stalk hardiness.

S

Spaceman3

I've never heard of silica being used but some people use vermiculite. Its good for hold water, but many people would argue that its pretty useless, and you're just reducing the space for soil.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't know of anyone who uses vermiculite for plant nutrition, though. I have a huge bag of the stuff I can't give away.

With my soil girls I always mix in some playground sand, let it break down really slowly. If you're unsure of what type of sand it is, you can pour some vinegar on the sand--if it bubbles it's calcareous and likely won't provide much silica.

N

nouvellechef

I use par boiled rice hulls in the mix now. Being silica based, as they breakdown while also providing aeration, the silica is the primary ingredient in DE. DE slices and dices any soft shell pest that would dare come near. Its a great addition.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

In my outdoor I have been using Botanicare's Silica Blast and on a recommendation by a friend I just picked up Gro-Teks Pro Silica. I'm in SFV where temps can reach past 100 in a blink of an eye so the benefit of adding Silica to my nute regimen has been VERY beneficial. I have noticed a HUGE difference in sturdiness.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
I Use Silica

After hearing a recommendation from CAPO about the use of silica to fight powdery mildew I have used it religiously and have had great success indoor as well as outdoor using Botanicares Silica Blast. I will use this product everywhere I grow( I grow in FFOF)

mal

G

green as grass

i just started using dyna gro pro tekt silica with my H&G soil A&B line up and additives. looking a lot better than fox farms line up. dont get me wrong fox farm has good stuff i just need to see if there is any better.

Top Bottom