Silica

• Thread starter Buddy Hemphill
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OGONLY

OGONLY

One gallon of Protekt is $37. Lasts me 9-12 months or 3-4 harvests. Works like a charm. Really not worth going with an unknown product or something with less of a reputation in my opinion. Its one of the cheapest nutes there is in bottled form.

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

Someone said they missed AN Barricade? ROFL!! That product was one of the biggest rip off's in existence as far as a silica additive goes! Wow, I cant imagine anyone missing the non lubricated reaming from AN from buying that product!@! ROFL!!

We also started having some pretty impressive increases in yield and health after adding silica to the regiment in our UC systems. This prompted for some tissue analysis which also showed that lots more silica was present in a flowering plant than once originally thought. Also, most nutrient formula's are lacking in the amount of silica they contain. Another one was often over looked we found was sulpher.

A

areUkind

agricultural organics- advanced floriculture :bloom silica

agricultural organics- advanced floriculture :bloom silica

this is the stuff i just recently started using. check this company out. a lot of cool products at concentrated ratios. my silica is now 10 times as strong as when i used dyna grow protek and i dont get the floaties i use to get with protek.

as for when to cut it out... i cut my silica out of feedings when its time for a flush (10-14daysbefore harvest) and thats it! no ill effects in taste and the plant seems to benefit from it all the way til the end. just make sure when using any silica you use at lowest recommended use. no need to ever over do it with the silica, it will only lock out other nutrients

Resinable

Resinable

Hydrorocks: do you think the AN product was a bad product or just overpriced? Just asking because I have a giant jug that I got for wholesale a long time age and am still using.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Great suggestion

How about Ag-Sil 16H from here.
Good choice for silicon. I have used AN protekt, and yellow bottle. Ag Organics is 53% and only needed 1ml per gallon but all of them cost more $$. I now have been using Ag-sil from CHN and mix up my own concentrate.

On pound of agsil 16 is $12.00 (Will treat 648 gallons)

vs

$40-60 for a gallon or quart of hydro store products.

Protekt @ 5ml per gallon will treat 757 gallons = $37-50.00
Yellow Bottles @ 1ml per gallon will treat 946 gallons = $60+

Powder is much cheaper no matter how you compare.

Silica does last along time so usually shrug off the price. But no use in overpaying for shipping and water + marked up prices.

-Lead

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

Hydrorocks: do you think the AN product was a bad product or just overpriced? Just asking because I have a giant jug that I got for wholesale a long time age and am still using.

It was mainly just way over priced for the amount of actual silica that was in the bottle, very typical for AN products in general. Over priced doesn't actually cover it, but you get the point I think. You should for sure use up what you have.

But in the long run, there is no really bad products of silica IMO, you just want to get the most concentrated amount possible for least amount of money.

dankworth

dankworth

The AN Barricade had a recommended application rate of .1 ml/liter. You could get away with far less than that. Super concentrated. Bought 1 liter in '05, lasted me until '08. New AN Rhino Skin is 5% of the strength, at a recommended dose of 2 ml/liter. I would not recommend that.
So the old Barricade was one of the best deals there was for silicate products. I just use Pro-Tekt like a sellout now @1ml/gallon. But I need to get that concentrate. I'm about to reproduce Botanicare's CNS-17 with 5 simple ingredients, may as well stop buying diluted anything.

G

GrimloxK

I'm probably only gonna use silica for foliar and only in veg from now on. It does bind to calcium which can affect uptake of alot of nutes since Cal acts as a transporter.

B

Buddy Hemphill

I'm probably only gonna use silica for foliar and only in veg from now on. It does bind to calcium which can affect uptake of alot of nutes since Cal acts as a transporter.

you could alternate the two between feedings if you wanted to use both.

Silica one day...calmag the next feeding....

B

billybadazz

Awesome thread, as I starting having a slight problem with my girls and just remembered that I forgot to use my silicate.

N

norcal

I was going to start a thread asking which Silica product is the best. I recently started using House and Garden's new product 'Amino Treatment' which is a Silica product. It is their priciest product but I have never had such great results in my life while running their complete line. My plants stems are the biggest and strongest I've ever seen. They recommend stop using at week 5 btw. Which is because you use their Bloom enhancer in week 6. I don't know if that means all Silica products should be stopped before a high PK product is used or not. Their Silica product also contains Amino Acid's if the name didn't give that away. Anyway if you use House and Garden this is a product you really should try out or even if you don't I am very high on this product probably more so than their Roots excelurator or Drip Clean.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I usually taper down during flower just like cal-mag, cutting it completely on week 6 on a 9 week strain.

On the subject of Silica, something I learned about it, is to add it to your rez before anything else. After it has mixed really well bring your ph down to desired level before adding your base nutes. If you add it after your base nutes you can potentially have some reactions with your base nutes because it raises the ph so high. I can't remember where I got this from but it makes sense to me.

Aptus has a new silica based product that I am very interested in. What are you guys using and does anyone disagree with mixing Silica based products in your rez first?
I add my silica first then adjust ph down then I add my witches brew and adjust ph up . Stop my silica at week 6 of flower have used it right the way through and even after the 3 day flush the buds tasted a bit funny on a previous grow .

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

I add my silica first then adjust ph down then I add my witches brew and adjust ph up . Stop my silica at week 6 of flower have used it right the way through and even after the 3 day flush the buds tasted a bit funny on a previous grow .

One this is a really old thread lol

Two why?

I would add the silica then the brew and adjust from there. The way your doing it adds unnecessary ppms plus it's not great to be putting pH+- in together

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
One this is a really old thread lol

Two why?

I would add the silica then the brew and adjust from there. The way your doing it adds unnecessary ppms plus it's not great to be putting pH+- in together

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I use urine milk and worm tea as my food and when it be done my mix my ppm are 700 to 900 and ph is 6.3 so there's no overload on ppm at all maybe the case if I used bought nutes but that will never happen I stay strictly natural organic . Might be a old thread LOL but I found it interesting

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

I use urine milk and worm tea as my food and when it be done my mix my ppm are 700 to 900 and ph is 6.3 so there's no overload on ppm at all maybe the case if I used bought nutes but that will never happen I stay strictly natural organic . Might be a old thread LOL but I found it interesting

Fair enough

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Urine milk???

Please elaborate or create a thread and link me!

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Urine milk???

Please elaborate or create a thread and link me!
I use urine , milk , wormtea and silica I derive from a native tree where I live . 1 lt urine to 10 lt water as well as 1 lt of milk to 10 lts water I run a 60 lt tank the rest is worm tea I make 38 lts hope that helps

Top Bottom