Silicate and pH- and EC-meters

• Thread starter Wolf6an6
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wolf6an6

Wolf6an6

Hi folks🙋🏼
Does silicate create a film on my (Bluelab) pH- and EC-pens? I've been using silicate for my last two or three growths and it gives me this impression.
And then ...what's the best way to clean the probe(s)??🤔
Kind regards from 🇸🇯
🐺

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

Proper way to maintain a pH meter:

Rinse with distilled water. Rinse with pH meter cleaning solution. Rinse with distilled water. Store in pH meter storage solution.

Madmax

Madmax

Hi folks🙋🏼
Does silicate create a film on my (Bluelab) pH- and EC-pens? I've been using silicate for my last two or three growths and it gives me this impression.
And then ...what's the best way to clean the probe(s)??🤔
Kind regards from 🇸🇯
🐺
No..i dont think it does.are you re calibrating after ea grow or through the grow to check accuracy..

Wolf6an6

Wolf6an6

I do,.

Rinse with distilled water. Rinse with pH meter cleaning solution. Rinse with distilled water. Store in pH meter storage solution.
I've been maintaining my equipment properly, still it seems like the silicate is creating a film on the probes of both pens which gives different readings which imo seem inaccurate. The same solution shows readings that can vary a lot.. I also got me some good old-fashioned pH-strips with colour indication🌈 Like we did, in the good old days🧓😅

Madmax

Madmax

When my hanna is in its storage solution it take a little while to accurately read..i keep swishing it for a bit .i thought it was playing up but when i re calibrated it was showing same ph..im getting contamination readings from the storage solution.its like i should b using the cleaner like peat phreak said..

Wolf6an6

Wolf6an6

Sounds like it begins to malfunction.

Does it give a biased reading after calibratiin, towards the last calib fluids pH?
It might be time to invest in new ones. Used them for quite some years now.....

gristle

gristle

Are you testing pH while mixing in silicate? I use PowerSi and it makes pH very unstable until it is thoroughly mixed in. I add powersi to reservoir first and wait at least an hour to add everything else, wait at least 2-3hrs before trying to adjust pH.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter

Just FYI it specifically states in BlueLab's user manuals NEVER to use your pH meter in distilled or RO water (0 PPM), it will ruin it!

As far as silica goes - it should be fine. I've used my pH and EC meters in all sorts of nutrient solutions and as long as you maintain them properly and never let your pH meter dry out it should last you a very long time.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Yeah, just clean them with tap and store away. I use the tap also to quickly confirm if the probe gone bad. I've dabbled with these "professional pH kits" from the growshops, but everytime I dumb the pH meters in premade pH storage solution they start to malfunction soon. So I've given up on that years ago and just wash and close and works best for me.

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

Just FYI it specifically states in BlueLab's user manuals NEVER to use your pH meter in distilled or RO water (0 PPM), it will ruin it!

As far as silica goes - it should be fine. I've used my pH and EC meters in all sorts of nutrient solutions and as long as you maintain them properly and never let your pH meter dry out it should last you a very long time.

BlueLab must have a special tip material or paranoia about upholding their warranty. Distilled is commonly used for rinsing pH meters. However, storing in pure distilled water is universally bad.

I always use distilled for rinsing my $10 Vivosun pH meter. Nothing bad happens. Glad I didn't spend $175 on a pH meter that self destructs with a distilled water rinse.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
I found, a waterproof EC meter best as these last usually very long no worries there.
But the cheap pH sticks seem best when you can have them in 2-3 days from eBay for 7 bucks a piece.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
BlueLab must have a special tip material or paranoia about upholding their warranty. Distilled is commonly used for rinsing pH meters. However, storing in pure distilled water is universally bad.

I always use distilled for rinsing my $10 Vivosun pH meter. Nothing bad happens. Glad I didn't spend $175 on a pH meter that self destructs with a distilled water rinse.
Yeah it says something about distilled, ro or pure water changes the chemistry of the probe or something to that effect.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Probes degrade a quality meter may last a couple yrs before getting more unstable and storage solution play a big role in longevity… another common iasue is low batery.

proper cleaning and storage will extend life and yes the silica or any nutrients can impact the probe over time if not rinsed clean every ise and cleaned regularly. If its maintained properly it wont matter.

tldr: bluelabs are liftine I believe and if you take to a certified dealer they should replace it

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Yeah it says something about distilled, ro or pure water changes the chemistry of the probe or something to that effect.
It's true, it's a physical phenomen - osmotic balance in fluids.
The inner of the probe is filled with a KCl-solution and that glass acts as a semi-permeable membrane. Upon contact with RO the inner ions are drawn into the outside water. Reducing the inner concentration of electrolytes, which are however used to measure the water.

Top Bottom