Simple Water Only Grow

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moshmen

Moshmen

Def try this in next couple weeks thanx
hey why I got ur attention, would you look at this seedling ? What ya think of the color? Leaf formation ? It’s in amended soil that a slurry test ran 6.75 it’s in a 2x4 tent at 76 degrees and try to keep rh at 60-70%the rest of the girls look ok, so think it’s a bad pheno or bad soil? Or? I just screwed up a plant in the last grow so a little on the cautious side! Lol
C11DCE75 16DB 476D 8011 82F10E752D40

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

hey why I got ur attention, would you look at this seedling ? What ya think of the color? Leaf formation ? It’s in amended soil that a slurry test ran 6.75 it’s in a 2x4 tent at 76 degrees and try to keep rh at 60-70%the rest of the girls look ok, so think it’s a bad pheno or bad soil? Or? I just screwed up a plant in the last grow so a little on the cautious side! Lol
View attachment 905124

Are you not watering that pot to runoff yet? Looks drying unevenly.

The pattern on the leaves is from a micro nutrient deficiency. Over or under watering can cause that. Improperly ammended soil too.

Any more info to tell?

justiceman

justiceman

So just to be clear, after the tap root is let’s say about a 1/4” long you poke a hole in the medium say 1/4 -1/2” deep and place the seed shell first with the tap root pointing upwards ?
I had some trouble with this last batch shedding shells.
Yup that's correct. Even following those steps sometimes the shell just doesn't come off at first. It can be due to a few different factors. Roughage not being in the right placement within the mix to knock off the shell and not enough localized humidity to help the shell separate from the cotyledon can be possible causes. It's usually tends to become more of an occurrence the older the seeds become.
Yes but i try not to let the root get too long before planting. And a 1/4” is plenty deep.

Also i use a coffee filter rather than paper towel as the root hairs do not stick to it.
Good tips! If the root get's too long it can be harder to plant without damaging it but still possible. I like that trick with the coffee filter. My paper towels are not very fibrous so I have not had root hairs stick to them but if that changes I know what I'll be using next.
View attachment 905124
Overall it's in decent health. I see a little bit of curling on the older leaves as well as a bit of blotching on the 2nd youngest set of leaves. The upper right leaf has a slight burn mark. I'm thinking these are signs that the mix is just a little bit hot on nutrition. Just keep on going with plain water and don't worry. That plant should get used to it pretty soon here.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Soil was made using the usual, wormcastings,bone,bloodmeal,etc I do use lots of perlite, we do slot of house plants and outside plants so I’m pretty good at the soil part. BUT I always grew photoperiods! Soil is mixed accordingly for photos and I’m trying to grow autos! Lol problem is I just found out how much I don’t know about the indoor game! I tried to tone down my mixture this run I guess I just didn’t get it. Probably should just start from scratch on the next batch. Thanx

Moshmen

Moshmen

Soil was made using the usual, wormcastings,bone,bloodmeal,etc I do use lots of perlite, we do slot of house plants and outside plants so I’m pretty good at the soil part. BUT I always grew photoperiods! Soil is mixed accordingly for photos and I’m trying to grow autos! Lol problem is I just found out how much I don’t know about the indoor game! I tried to tone down my mixture this run I guess I just didn’t get it. Probably should just start from scratch on the next batch. Thanx
Also the answer is NO I’m not watering till runoff yet I’ve found it’s easy to overwater when plants are at this stage in bigger pots? I like to dry out and water more often. Just my personal preference

justiceman

justiceman

I'm guessing the mix is probably not off by too much if it's just 1 out of the others showing those symptoms. I'm glad you stated you are growing autos. There are others here with more experience on those but I have messed around with them a little bit. From what I could tell and what many others say is they need less food and are more sensitive to soil mixes than their photoperiod counterparts. This will be a good test to see how that one rides out with your current mix. If things get worse over time then you know the mix was a little hot and the amendments should be brought down considerably. If it get's better and these are the only symptoms then you'll know the mix only needs to be lessened in strength by just a little bit.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I'm guessing the mix is probably not off by too much if it's just 1 out of the others showing those symptoms. I'm glad you stated you are growing autos. There are others here with more experience on those but I have messed around with them a little bit. From what I could tell and what many others say is they need less food and are more sensitive to soil mixes than their photoperiod counterparts. This will be a good test to see how that one rides out with your current mix. If things get worse over time then you know the mix was a little hot and the amendments should be brought down considerably. If it get's better and these are the only symptoms then you'll know the mix only needs to be lessened in strength by just a little bit.
It’s a painful lesson to learn but the autos fit my needs much better just need to improve my skill set! And there is more good info on the farm than I can comprehend! Lol thanx

justiceman

justiceman

Just stopping by before Halloween 🎃. The seedlings are coming along great aside from the one in question I talked about before. The dud was tossed, another was germinated and then planted in to the same container as the fallen. I just noticed she is breaking the surface with no issue so her pictures will come in the next update!

Decided to mix the soil again yesterday by transferring it back and forth between garbage cans. I also added just a touch more water to it in between a transfer and gave it one last good mix after that.

For now here are some pictures of the first true leaves 😁
38147CA9 6563 45A6 85BC ACE6F7A6A948
F21E8D38 EA96 4620 AED1 C89CCED6E694
25A824F1 B697 4B52 A8CC B46475B0D2DC

BigCube

BigCube

Very cool man. Will be watching this thread for sure. I'm curious as to how they will fair later on in flower. This will be interesting for sure!

Some day I would like to learn more about mixing my own soil and stuff. I'm a hydro man through and through. While I have grown some plants in dirt and has good success, I want to be able to mix my own medium. Not just follow a recipie, but know all the ins and outs and substitutions and exceptions.

I just need to put the time in to learn it.
Sooner or later I'll get some free time to read up on it lol.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Very cool man. Will be watching this thread for sure. I'm curious as to how they will fair later on in flower. This will be interesting for sure!

Some day I would like to learn more about mixing my own soil and stuff. I'm a hydro man through and through. While I have grown some plants in dirt and has good success, I want to be able to mix my own medium. Not just follow a recipie, but know all the ins and outs and substitutions and exceptions.

I do it cuz I worked on a regular farm that grew produce and beef for commercial use, then they had another small plot of land they used to grow their food and meat! Once I seen all the shit went into the commercial food! And after tasting their garden food without the chemicals I couldn’t believe the difference! And I feel like I can tell when my bud is full chemicals!! Lmao

justiceman

justiceman

Thanks for stopping in! This should be a fun one. I have an idea of what you mean about being a hydro man. I love growing in straight coco, but I have not gone any further like DWC, or Rockwool etc. I am the same way too. It's much more comforting to understand why or how things are working. That way if something unexpected happens you can actually act with some ideas on how to respond.

I do it cuz I worked on a regular farm that grew produce and beef for commercial use, then they had another small plot of land they used to grow their food and meat! Once I seen all the shit went into the commercial food! And after tasting their garden food without the chemicals I couldn’t believe the difference! And I feel like I can tell when my bud is full chemicals!! Lmao
That is hilarious that they had their own smaller plot and used different practices for themselves. Goes to show how much faith they have in the commercial products haha!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The backup Tangerine Dream seedling is coming along just fine 😁

I wanted to take this moment to touch upon my watering practices for this type of soil mix that leans entirely on dry fertilizer inputs. Just a reminder there will be no pH adjustment nor will there be additives used. Just plain tap water.

For now I'm not using very much water since we are still in the seedling stage. Just enough to wet the topsoil which should soak in partway through, and eventually distribute evenly to the bottom. The aim is to try and obtain a slightly moist state down below for the root system but not overly so. When they get big enough I will then begin to saturate the containers fully but I will endeavor to get barely if any run off. Why no run off? I simply don't believe it's necessary for a grow with dry fertilizer inputs. I can't flush them away or dilute them even if I wanted too and that's the point.

I'd like to try out the mainline training this time around! It will be great fun. Currently considering having my final pot size be 5gal fabric containers instead of 3gal since I have about 2.5 cubic ft(about 19 gallons) of soil mix. I'm thinking about putting the remaining mix to use but we will see. 🤔

97025AD7 9D20 44F7 A913 A24181BDB9C1

justiceman

justiceman

Back again to share the progress on these Tangerine Dream seedlings! I've been noticing some slight differences in growth rate so I've decided to label them 1-4. It will be interesting to see if some surpass others in one way or another.

The fastest growth so far and just starting to begin the 3rd leaf set
67FF2A4E 3371 410C A078 2DDB7335DB91

Definitely approaching the size of #1 but the 2nd leaf set is still behind in development when compared.
9CA44635 2F4C 4453 A2F7 A873F53E227A

The slowest of the original 4 but with what looks like the best leaf aesthetics so far.
B0E9CC38 ADA8 45C5 8F67 20C1D04F3E6A

This is the successor to the seed that did not make it and is the farthest behind in growth which is expected because of its late start. I expect it won't be far behind if at all in the long run.
D25690B4 7634 4DB0 A5DA 3EF8C8006EDF

justiceman

justiceman

Here is an update on how the amended mix is going. So far it smells of fresh earth. I took a couple pictures to show what some favorable signs generally look like.

If you look closely in the middle You will notice some two areas in the middle of the picture what look like a cluster of white hairs. That is microbial life. Seeings these kinds of the signs combined with a fresh earthy smell is what I'm shooting for.
88FB8ED7 E7E6 475E A8E5 395E030A52DB

Here is a picture from the past where I got a pretty good layer going. Let's see if I can do that again!
Week 1 super soil 2

This picture is after I mixed the soil for a little bit, so some of the water fell down as well as evaporated from the inside of the garbage lid. I like to see this because it means I'm at a good point of water saturation. It also means the microbe community is definitely growing.
4ECF88C1 A11B 4C13 8829 C4A91489D57C

justiceman

justiceman

Very happy little seedlings
Thank you! I usually take decent sized breaks in between grows so I’m always a bit nervous when starting up again 🤣

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings! It has been almost a week since the last update so it's time to see how things are coming along.

So far they are still sitting under T8's in my 2 x 4 Veg rack. I don't think I listed the specs above so here they are. The top section has a 4ft T8 fixture(two lamps both 6500k at 64w) for seedlings and clones. It has slightly over 1ft of clearance from the bottom to the top rack. The bottom section has a 4ft t5 HO fixture(two 3500k, and two 6500k lamps at 216w) for small established plants or sometimes an auto or two. It has just over 2.5ft of clearance from the bottom to the top rack.

I've been considering moving my Veg rack to LED. After weighing different options here are my thoughts. I can get T5, and T8 lamps that are LED instead of Florescent without actually replacing the fixtures but I don't know how well they perform. I'd imagine the T8 LED lamps would probably be sufficient for the seedling/clone area considering the limited clearance, but questionable for the established plant section below? I believe a 288 quantum board(240w) dimmed down a bit would work out pretty well for the established plant section. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to chime in.

Here are the seedlings and so far they are looking pretty good! LC's mix #2(Fox Farms Ocean Forest) looks to be just a touch too hot, so you'll notice a little bit of twisting and just a couple blotches. They'll get over it soon enough. An easy fix to avoid too hot of a soil mix for seedlings or autoflowers would be to use a different base for LC's mix. Happy Frog, Promix, etc. Pretty much any mix that has less food in it than FFOF. It all depends on the sensitivity of the strain, and conditions so YMMV. Well it's time to go mix the soil again. Hope everyone has a great day!

3259AB04 7379 4980 9A6F 2D90F4628901

9A7667D7 DA80 495C 99F5 15D2F0293173

3787F5D2 0218 4843 AAD2 D5025789F142

40CABE89 70CE 4BF4 AB93 C418C41FA148

justiceman

justiceman

Been a while since I've seen ya around. Pullin up a chair. Nothing beats a good ole KISS grow.
Good to have you here. I always love coming back to see how it's kicking around here and it's awesome to see so many familiar names.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here's a fun little update. I always love messing around and it's time to do just that with my veg tent 🤪

Just got two 288 piece boards in today with Samsung LM301H LEDs at 3500k to replace my T5 HO fixture in the 2x4 veg rack! I am VERY EXCITED to try this thing out. I have still not decided what type of LED set up I will replace the upper seedling/clone rack T8 fixture with but I'm open to suggestions. When the seedlings get big enough I will put them under this light and see how things develop. When the time is right I will begin the mainlining. I might order up one more of these and run two in the 4x4 instead of a 600w HPS for flower. That would be fun but I have not decided yet. Another option would be to try and grow a couple autos under it in the veg section while the photoperiods flower in the 4x4. 🤔

Anyway I thought I'd share some pictures of this set up!

Here's the driver
B871A987 03D2 41CE 9EFB 169F6340E126

Here is one of the two 288 boards with Samsung LM301H LEDs
29081953 29AB 4AA0 AC74 1E77CB802411

As you can see this is an extremely basic set up and i like it. It does not have a waterproof coating over the 288 LED boards like some other models but I'm honestly not too worried about that. If a board happens to fail the cost isn't high to replace it.
E83210DB ACED 4E5B 9504 FD45013AE258

Wago connectors(they are very cool!) are used to attach the wires from the LED boards to the driver as well as to attach the potentiometer to the dimmer cable coming from the driver.
7054DB32 CDC0 43FE AEE1 FAA0B6FFAD5C

Here is the top of the heat sink that both 288 boards are mounted on There are also the positive/negative wires coming out going to the driver.
C80CCDBD 5BD1 4F55 A509 7F800DF2B7BA

It's impossible to capture how bright this things is at 240w with a picture. I've been skeptical of LED for a while but after checking out COB and Quantum Board grows I was convinced they are starting to prove their worth. When I turned this on I was blinded 🤣
25CA96CA AC08 41B1 B5EE 196C4B2E6363

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Good to have you here. I always love coming back to see how it's kicking around here and it's awesome to see so many familiar names.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here's a fun little update. I always love messing around and it's time to do just that with my veg tent 🤪

Just got two 288 piece boards in today with Samsung LM301H LEDs at 3500k to replace my T5 HO fixture in the 2x4 veg rack! I am VERY EXCITED to try this thing out. I have still not decided what type of LED set up I will replace the upper seedling/clone rack T8 fixture with but I'm open to suggestions. When the seedlings get big enough I will put them under this light and see how things develop. When the time is right I will begin the mainlining. I might order up one more of these and run two in the 4x4 instead of a 600w HPS for flower. That would be fun but I have not decided yet. Another option would be to try and grow a couple autos under it in the veg section while the photoperiods flower in the 4x4. 🤔

Anyway I thought I'd share some pictures of this set up!

Here's the driver
View attachment 909649

Here is one of the two 288 boards with Samsung LM301H LEDs
View attachment 909650

As you can see this is an extremely basic set up and i like it. It does not have a waterproof coating over the 288 LED boards like some other models but I'm honestly not too worried about that. If a board happens to fail the cost isn't high to replace it.
View attachment 909669

Wago connectors(they are very cool!) are used to attach the wires from the LED boards to the driver as well as to attach the potentiometer to the dimmer cable coming from the driver.
View attachment 909653

Here is the top of the heat sink that both 288 boards are mounted on There are also the positive/negative wires coming out going to the driver.
View attachment 909654

It's impossible to capture how bright this things is at 240w with a picture. I've been skeptical of LED for a while but after checking out COB and Quantum Board grows I was convinced they are starting to prove their worth. When I turned this on I was blinded 🤣
View attachment 909651
im with ya bro,even my old ass been toss the tought around,i got one question though,is the any other way to build one of these without a heating table,putting star clusters on them seems easy but what if you want your own design and want to make a godzill head light hahahah.
seriously though them tiny ass lights and big hands aint even gonna jive,and the heat table i watched this dude use was about ft around,once the flux melts in and you shake it off ,thise little bastards that flipped on you would probally have me throwing the whole set up across a room,so with that said and all the wars over hid and led ,why isnt there a common ground were anyone can just buy one and use for there own use,most importantly afordable,them bulbs and shit all the stuff is cheap but the fingers make the shift from diy and stuck in the money bank of just buying them,that were my rubber doesnt meet the road no more haahahah,im watching to see how they work for you though my friend

justiceman

justiceman

im with ya bro,even my old ass been toss the tought around,i got one question though,is the any other way to build one of these without a heating table,putting star clusters on them seems easy but what if you want your own design and want to make a godzill head light hahahah.
seriously though them tiny ass lights and big hands aint even gonna jive,and the heat table i watched this dude use was about ft around,once the flux melts in and you shake it off ,thise little bastards that flipped on you would probally have me throwing the whole set up across a room,so with that said and all the wars over hid and led ,why isnt there a common ground were anyone can just buy one and use for there own use,most importantly afordable,them bulbs and shit all the stuff is cheap but the fingers make the shift from diy and stuck in the money bank of just buying them,that were my rubber doesnt meet the road no more haahahah,im watching to see how they work for you though my friend
There are COB's(Chip On Board) available which are supposed to be just as good as LED boards. They are like godzilla head lights 🤣 You put those cluster heat sinks on them and can design your own frame to hold them. I've always liked the thought of those but I really like to keep things simple, so I felt like a board suited my needs better. I hear you man I have been waiting on LED to become more affordable for a long time and it's starting to get there. I got this setup on Alibaba for 160 shipped mostly assembled and that is damn cheap compared to other equivalents that cost over double that price. I just could not rationalize buying LED until now because of how vast the price difference was compared to benefits, but now it's starting to become a lot more approachable to me. I can't wait to see how this goes, and if it ends up being a bust at least I didn't spend a crazy amount trying it out. I've been seeing some real solid grows with these lights so I'm hoping for some good stuff! It is allways a pleasure to have you chime in.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

There are COB's(Chip On Board) available which are supposed to be just as good as LED boards. They are like godzilla head lights 🤣 You put those cluster heat sinks on them and can design your own frame to hold them. I've always liked the thought of those but I really like to keep things simple, so I felt like a board suited my needs better. I hear you man I have been waiting on LED to become more affordable for a long time and it's starting to get there. I got this setup on Alibaba for 160 shipped mostly assembled and that is damn cheap compared to other equivalents that cost over double that price. I just could not rationalize buying LED until now because of how vast the price difference was compared to benefits, but now it's starting to become a lot more approachable to me. I can't wait to see how this goes, and if it ends up being a bust at least I didn't spend a crazy amount trying it out. I've been seeing some real solid grows with these lights so I'm hoping for some good stuff! It is allways a pleasure to have you chime in.
one day i give a real light a run ,i just would find it more fun and up my alley to build myself,i have a tendecy to respect and enjoy things more from my own hands,hell if i had some of the equitment i mentioned aint no telling how many damn art and animals designs would be on these walls hahahah aint growing nothing but cool to look at,i wasnt bulls shit mars hydro,i really like the light works of foreign countries shit is cool and damn sure better than damn graffit on every thing hahahahah.
about the time you dail in be time to get outdoor rolling again and you already know that my love hahahah

Top Bottom