Single Bucket System possible

• Thread starter evergreensnow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

evergreensnow

Hey Doubleds,

I am super stoked on your bucket style and I am gonna maybe setup a system. I wanted to start small and buikd from there. I was gonna start with one bucket system and one or two lights. any problems I am gonna face trying it with one bucket and one light? should I get two 1000's for 1 plant?

T

TyKaycha

1 bucket with a rez and 1 light? I'm totally for starting small, but that's a little too small. Maybe 3-4 buckets, with the light in the middle of them, if you can add some supplemental lighting on the outside that would be even better. But 1 bucket I don't think is worth it as you'll have a lot of lighting going to waste - same with just going with 2 buckets.

Do yo have a circular mover? If so, then maybe you could get away with the light spinning around the 1 plant but the movers tend to be a little pricey and again I think it's a waste on just 1 plant.

I vote for 3-4. Small enough to be affordable. Large enough to gain some worthwhile experience.

Good luck! Any problems - let us know.

L

Lost

You can do it. I think In a thread I explained my idea. Real simply, the pump goes to the chiller and back to mini res. No res or drains necessary. The pump to the chiller can handle it! Just find a corner in the mini res for the pump. For one tub you could get away with a 1/15 hp chiller..

S

S. Plisskin

Lost - is a chiller really needed for just one or two lights? Just wondering cuz I wanted to try a small undercurrent grow alongside my regular garden just to try it out.

L

Lost

A chiller is a must. You will have problems in flower. Usually the rot starts in veg and if you go into flowerer with a little rot, it will ruin the plant when the plant gets pushed hard in flower..

L

largepoppa

Chiller is definitely a must. I ran a couple of DWC buckets under a 600W HPS and after 2 weeks got root rot that killed my plants. Reservoir temps were around 75. Though it wasn't recirculating, I had a couple of airstones that moved the water around quite a bit in the buckets.

E

evergreensnow

yea, that sounds better, 4 plants, 1 1k to start and ill add some side lighting. Time to start putting together the parts!!!!! Thanks for the info.

M

moejammin

Lost would a four plant system with a 600 in the middle be a waste, would you get better yields staying horizontal?

L

Lost

I have run a combo of vert and horizontal and the buds were huge, go for it!

T

TyKaycha

Lost would a four plant system with a 600 in the middle be a waste, would you get better yields staying horizontal?

yea, that sounds better, 4 plants, 1 1k to start and ill add some side lighting. Time to start putting together the parts!!!!! Thanks for the info.

Now you guys are thinking! Start small, but start smart! You can always expand it as you gain experience and/or grow space. 600 in the middle should work - just realize it's not a 1k so yield is going to be smaller but it'll probably be better than maybe what you're used too.

O

OregonMeds

Five plants fit well for me in a circle around a single 1k when I grew them that way.

With just one light 4 plants won't generally fill out the space enough and 6 is just too many. DD size plants are too big for one light, you'd need to flower smaller really.

Don't expect too much yield wise, it's still only a single light and given that there are actually better systems to use than this. DD's system is really wasted on a single light other than for practice.

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
Do a google search on 'heath robinson, critical mass x2'.

He used 3 600w lights and 2 plants (critical mass) and got either 72 or 74 ounces of DRIED medicine.

X=plant
O=light

OXOXO

Good luck with whatever you do!

T

TyKaycha

heath has also been growing for a while too. going to be tough for a newbie to pull that off without a mentor watching over things.

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
heath has also been growing for a while too. going to be tough for a newbie to pull that off without a mentor watching over things.

It would take a few runs to get things figured out, but I think he could still pull a decent amount his first run if he doesn't run into any Major problems. I'm not sure if it was this run but I've seen some of Heath's posts (maybe his verticle 4'x4' 72 plant setup, the irrigation style tubes that looked like a lunar lander. lol) where he runs a very basic nutrient schedule, keeping it the same throughout flower and adding a couple things toward the end. I do understand Heath is a very experienced grower getting well into the 2+gpw yeilds in some of his grows (1.7gpw roughly for his 'Critical Mass 2x' grow).... Even at .5gpw with 1200w you'd be looking at about 21 ounces off 2 plants. Not bad and I think that's a conservative number to use with no 'Major' phuck-ups...

E

evergreensnow

I am setting up a 4 or 5 plant system with a 50 gallon res. starting out with a 600 them adding some more lights soon. Gonna use net pots, isnt that what DD switched to instead of the bucket with holes drilled?

billy liar

billy liar

this may get me into trouble, but here's a question and answer from Heath Robinson only a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcapitan
thanks for posting these pictures and information heath.
i had gathered that you were friends with doubleds and texas kid or at least acquainted with them from reading posts around the net, but i did not realize that you were doing this for so long, and thought that it was a more recent development by other people. dds and tk have said that they are now using this system as well, and they are two of the best. certainly is an effective system with great results. hope to hook up with you someday down the road and compare notes.
Quote:
Originally posted by Heath Robinson
Hey Elcapitan, Yes Texas Kid has been around the forums for a long while, I corresponded quite a bit with doubleds about 18 months to two years ago about how I did my recirculating grows, as you can see he is now doing his own thing with them.

dont mean to piss on anyone's fire.. But credit where credits due...

Peace
BL

T

TyKaycha

Gonna use net pots, isnt that what DD switched to instead of the bucket with holes drilled?

Don't know or remember if DDs switched or not, but either would work. Would recommend though if using netpots, get the 8" or 10" ones. Would also recommend getting the ones only holes on the bottom and drill a few holes on the sides up to about 2". Makes it easier if you have to lift the plant for some reason as you won't be tearing roots pulling it up through the hole. Just my .02.

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
Billy Liar, I read that as well... I believe there's another post where Heath explains how he stumbled upon this system, it was a FORTUNATE accident! lol

Both Heath and DD are outstanding growers!

billy liar

billy liar

Billy Liar, I read that as well... I believe there's another post where Heath explains how he stumbled upon this system, it was a FORTUNATE accident! lol

Both Heath and DD are outstanding growers!

yea ALLegal420, I've been doing these for about three years thanks to heath, he has a single plant system atm, but hasnt shown it yet.. I used to use single plant systems for mothers, Very easy and effective...

people have to try new things, if they dont we will never know if it works or not..

Peace
BL

S

swisscheese

Where does heath post at besides riu? He is my favorite person to follow his grows. Any new person should make it their first priority to read every thread and post by heath and doubleds.

Top Bottom