SIP GrowBucket Growers - Borrowing the AirDome from AutoPot

• Thread starter ExNavyInSTL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

I am a fan of many ways of growing. Two of those ways are via AutoPots and SIP Buckets. Both are bottom water/feed techniques.

During my last grow, I decided to add the AirDome to my AutoPot setup. These domes are connected to an aquarium pump.

The idea is that the constant gentle pumping of air into the root zone makes for happier roots.

As I was setting up this next garden in my SIP Buckets, using GrowBucket Inserts, I got an idea. Why not borrow the AirDome philosophy and put it into the SIP Buckets?

I already had the equipment. So, I am giving it a try.

Look at the photo montage below to see how I put this idea into action.

By the way, I doubt I am the first person to think of this. Since I hadn't seen it anywhere else, I thought I would share it on the internet.

Aquadome in a sip bucket
ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

I just started growing with SIP buckets made similar to yours, but nor air stone. Love the growth so far!

I'm not 100% convinced pumping air into the bottom works all that great. It might.

The difference here is that the dome is quite separated from the media in the bucket. That GrowBucket insert keeps the coco (in my case) inches away. Whereas, in the AutoPot the dome is directly connected to the media.

I use these bottom water/feed systems because I like not having to worry when to water or feed or both.

I'm learning, they do need a monthly flush or so. The build up of nutrients has "burned" me a couple of times now. (Pun intended).

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

I've tried adding a large airstone disc or two small ones to the bottom of five coco/perlite grows so far, one of them in a 5 gallon SIP. I would say the jury is still out but leaning towards there being little or no added benefit. On one grow in a 2 gallon fabric pot the root ball was unbelievable, just a solid cylinder with roots growing along the surface of the coco. The only difference I noticed in the other grows was that the medium was more forgiving if it had been allowed to dry out. When this happened, the grows with an air stone didnt need to be flushed to get back into the right pH/ec ranges.

So, to sum it up, I havent seen a lot of difference but I'm not yet convinced that there isnt something to be explored and it certainly isnt doing any harm.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I'm not 100% convinced pumping air into the bottom works all that great. It might.

The difference here is that the dome is quite separated from the media in the bucket. That GrowBucket insert keeps the coco (in my case) inches away. Whereas, in the AutoPot the dome is directly connected to the media.

I use these bottom water/feed systems because I like not having to worry when to water or feed or both.

I'm learning, they do need a monthly flush or so. The build up of nutrients has "burned" me a couple of times now. (Pun intended).
I just bought a 4 pack of the Auto pots 15L and when I saw the air domes, my cheap self said nope 4" net pots will work. $1.39 each I have air stones . I also have a manifold with 6 jets and shut off valves I can adjust the air flow with..........

There is supposed to be a fine line between too much air and not enough and to run only through the day while warm. I've been going YT crazy watching different grows with the Auto Pots . It'll be a bit before I have the pots full and ready to go I just dropped seeds for them yesterday.

I was originally going to put 7 week vegged girls in them but They are in 3 gal pots and I think the soil is too dense for the Auto Pots. Its straight out of the bag Promix HP with Earth worm castings. I can prep my new seeds in a better soil mix if I start new.......

Any who Good luck with your grow I'll be watching along to see how it goes and what I can learn...you'll be a month or more ahead of me so I get to watch......

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I am a fan of many ways of growing. Two of those ways are via AutoPots and SIP Buckets. Both are bottom water/feed techniques.

During my last grow, I decided to add the AirDome to my AutoPot setup. These domes are connected to an aquarium pump.

The idea is that the constant gentle pumping of air into the root zone makes for happier roots.

As I was setting up this next garden in my SIP Buckets, using GrowBucket Inserts, I got an idea. Why not borrow the AirDome philosophy and put it into the SIP Buckets?

I already had the equipment. So, I am giving it a try.

Look at the photo montage below to see how I put this idea into action.

By the way, I doubt I am the first person to think of this. Since I hadn't seen it anywhere else, I thought I would share it on the internet.
I bought a pump and some air stones for this! I’ve yet to do it but I have some earthbox SIPs I’m going to try it on. If you like SIPs check out the earth boxes. It has a bigger res and can hold more soil than the bucket systems. I can’t say enough good things about these I just set and forget!! Sometimes I even do 2 plants per SIP with amazing results as well.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

I have questions how are you guys running the air pumps? On a timer ? Or 24/7 🤔

Top Bottom