Siphoning problem...need help plz!

• Thread starter ricksiri
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

ricksiri

here's the set-up:

55gallon drum res. Sits up higher than flood trays. Tapped into bottom of drum for nutrient flow to trays. I continue to get siphoning through my drippers after shutting off pump. I've tried tapping into tubing right at the point where it exits the drum w/ a 1/4" tubing, routed back up to the top of drum, but it continues to siphon.

Should I cap off the bottom and re-route everything out the top off drum , w/ a 1/4" tubing for anti-siphoning?

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
here's the set-up:

55gallon drum res. Sits up higher than flood trays. Tapped into bottom of drum for nutrient flow to trays. I continue to get siphoning through my drippers after shutting off pump. I've tried tapping into tubing right at the point where it exits the drum w/ a 1/4" tubing, routed back up to the top of drum, but it continues to siphon.

Should I cap off the bottom and re-route everything out the top off drum , w/ a 1/4" tubing for anti-siphoning?

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance.

Option 1. Least expensive way:

mrdizzle said:
if your using a tall res, poke a hole in the line coming out of the res a couple inches below the top and stick a 1/4 barb in it. so when you turn off the pump the siphoning doesnt happen because air is pulled through the hole in

Make sure the hole does not get clogged or could get flooded.

Another option:
Use a check valve (backflow valve) inline. They are sold in hardware stores in the plumbing /or irrigation section. Will prevent siphoning.

Hope that helps.

convex

convex

55 galon rez higher than the trays will definately keep draining through the pump.
An inline check valve close to distribution point will help keep afterflow to a minimum.

Cheers

J

Jalisco Kid

I can not see a check valve working for you.They call them Backflow preventers,not front flow preventers. You can make a vacuum break by putting a hole in your line at the top of a u(180*) bend or you can go to home depot and get a vacuum breaker like they install for dishwashers. JK

convex

convex

I think you will find with the rez higher than the table it is not siphoning, it is the pressure of 55 gallons on the pump and is pushing it through while the pump is powered off.

Top Bottom