Six super soil variants run side by side

• Thread starter Dunge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nazarbattu

nazarbattu

The reason I bothered to run this trial was my lack of confidence (ignorance) that I had a good formulation.
The way I came up with soil #2 was from gathering several recipes offered here by my fellow farmers.
Many super soil practitioners have years of experience tuning their formulas, but the materials list is often too long to make sense of from an experimental design perspective.
I stripped them down to what looked like essential elements and then looked for common denominators to make a batch easy to make.
Mixing a few full bags and boxes of stuff yields a pile of medium with nothing left over but empty packaging that then gets filled back up with new medium.
So I consider #2 a "simple super soil".
No question, it might be better, but this one was testable and reproducible.

So mix up a batch and let me know how it works for you.
@Dunge very nice work! I was hoping to find a smoke report on the differences of these different soil mixes? I have looked through most of your post and i apologize that i might have over looked it. I am excited to hear any feedback on the differences of fx, taste or efficacy of flowers provided by these different soils.
Naz

Dunge

Dunge

I'm glad you liked this log.
It was a year ago when these were in mid flower.

I have not changed the #2 formula at all.
This cycle I am replacing alfalfa tea with Earth Juice and a bit more light.
Four weeks in and they might be record breakers.

Sorry I didn't do a taste test on the results.
They all smelled good and smoked nice.
That's as far as my taste skills go.

C

Coronel

@Dunge, great log bro.

I bet there's a way to do that using GIMP, too. I just have to fiddle with it. Thanks!
utterly complicated, select tool, copy, paste as new layer, scale layer... USE PAINT!!!! lol

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
@Dunge, great log bro.

utterly complicated, select tool, copy, paste as new layer, scale layer... USE PAINT!!!! lol
I guess if you're stuck on a Windows machine, yeah, use Paint. I'm running Linux. LOL?

Is this "pull up old dead posts from Sea" day for you?

C

Coronel

I guess if you're stuck on a Windows machine, yeah, use Paint. I'm running Linux. LOL?

Is this "pull up old dead posts from Sea" day for you?
haha, no i just realized that both posts were addresed at you :D

On linux Pinta is kinda like windows Paint, i like linux to manipulate images and files in general, but for edition good old windows is easier.

Dunge

Dunge

Whatever it takes to breath new life into an old post, I'm in.
I have a batch of this exact soil #2 sitting on a tarp on my garage floor right now.
I can't tell you how much I enjoy not fretting over my soil.
I remember the days when every aspect of a grow was in question.
Now my room environment is in the zone, water is all rain, and I have been brewing the same alfalfa tea for years.
I can concentrate on fun things like checking for roots in rapid rooter plugs, and sexing seedlings.
Still don't like bud trimming, but am getting more efficient every cycle.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Nice diary. Love the documentation. I have a super soil variant about to be put to use. I plan to only use tea with it and see what happens. I'll keep your recipe on hand for the next batch.

Dunge

Dunge

In over three years this thread has garnered over 6000 views.
A personal best I believe.
I put together a synopses to clear the experimental clutter of my log.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/super-soil-standard.82117/
I just this week purchased two batches of this blend to get me to spring 2018
I have been playing with the tea inoculant, but the soil blend has remained unchanged.
The price of this blend comes in well below the price of blended super soils (see Fox Farm Ocean Forest)

Enjoy
20171001 102149

Top Bottom