Sixstrings Led Cob Builds

• Thread starter sixstring
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

lol, love that show...

problem is: Greengenes has me back thinking I want to use the VERO29s again for the "best bang for the buck". which possibly means I can add a higher density of light at the same price that I would have spent for the CREEs

I also like the concept of waking up the plants in the morning with just far-red and then going full spectrum. Then putting your plants to bed by killing the full spectrum and going to far-red before lights out. for instance, far-red for the first 30 minutes, then full spectrum for 11 hours, then far-red for the last 30 minutes.

Last edited:
sixstring

sixstring

Nothing wrong with vero man,just that the voltage is a tad higher so certain driver/cob combos wont work like they do with the cxb 3590.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

yeah, I know, but then I would have to buy them from digikey because RapidLED is basically a cbx shop. The guy at Rapid did offer me a discount (better than the growmau5) if I went with CBX. So I don't know, I'm still tossed... I have an email out to Rapid to discuss the far-red growmau5 modules.

Peacefreedom

Peacefreedom

What do you guys think of the light engines? I was watching growmau5's video on cree's test against a gavita. Is it worth it to wait for qb to come back. Or are these XPG-3 light engines on par or better than the qb's? These are the ones I was referring to.

C

ChunkySkunky

Hey six, just read through this whole thing last night, wow, loving your work dude.

My Citi 1212's have been up for 24 hours, the girls seem to be happy @ 18" so I've lowered it to 12". I'm really liking the reduction of blurple in my room. I'll build another for the other side of the room soon.

I wired one of the cobs backwards as well, just to *cough* "test the safety of the driver" *coughcough*, or maybe I was just a bit stoned lol :)

Thought I'd throw up a couple of pics for ya, I could have been neater and I still have work to do, the drivers are just hanging from a hook in the ceiling. I'm about 10 days into flower and I was just a little bit "keen" to get it hanging and get rid of the blurple.

I'm really interested in the consumption of raw cannabis, my missus has had severe arthritis for a long time, I've made her edibles and it helps but she doesn't like being stoned. She is very open about juicing it though and mixing with other fruit/veg. So thanks again man!

Last edited:
dan1989

dan1989

Hey six, just read through this whole thing last night, wow, loving your work dude.

My Citi 1212's have been up for 24 hours, the girls seem to be happy @ 18" so I've lowered it to 12". I'm really liking the reduction of blurple in my room. I'll build another for the other side of the room soon.

I wired one of the cobs backwards as well, just to *cough* "test the safety of the driver" *coughcough*, or maybe I was just a bit stoned lol :)

Thought I'd throw up a couple of pics for ya, I could have been neater and I still have work to do, the drivers are just hanging from a hook in the ceiling. I'm about 10 days into flower and I was just a little bit "keen" to get it hanging and get rid of the blurple.

View attachment 700734
View attachment 700736

I'm really interested in the consumption of raw cannabis, my missus has had severe arthritis for a long time, I've made her edibles and it helps but she doesn't like being stoned. She is very open about juicing it though and mixing with other fruit/veg. So thanks again man!

How much money would you say you spent building your light? I'm taking a huge interest in C.O.B lighting right now...

sixstring

sixstring

View attachment 700734
View attachment 700736

i have wired a cob or 2 backwards before lol.stonerz ,looks good man :)

C

ChunkySkunky

How much money would you say you spent building your light? I'm taking a huge interest in C.O.B lighting right now...

I've not sat down and worked it all out yet.

COBS were £10 each so £80
Heat sinks were £67 for the pair
Drivers were £153 for the pair.
Fans were £10 for 3 of them.
Ali angle was about £5
Spent about £20 on thermal grease/cable ties/nuts and bolts/assorted bits and bobs.
The wire was salvaged from a broken vacuum cleaner, so free.

I make that about £260 for a 400w light.
The Mars hydro next to it costs around the same for a 274w light.

dan1989

dan1989

I've not sat down and worked it all out yet.

COBS were £10 each so £80
Heat sinks were £67 for the pair
Drivers were £153 for the pair.
Fans were £10 for 3 of them.
Ali angle was about £5
Spent about £20 on thermal grease/cable ties/nuts and bolts/assorted bits and bobs.
The wire was salvaged from a broken vacuum cleaner, so free.

I make that about £260 for a 400w light.
The Mars hydro next to it costs around the same for a 274w light.

Sweet. I can nick the nuts and other fixings from work, ali angle and I'll make the heat sinks too. Not as expensive as I thought...

Top Bottom