Sixstrings Led Cob Builds

• Thread starter sixstring
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sixstring

sixstring

had just enough time between idiots to put together another bar today.gotta grab some wire from the depot tomorrow to run the remote driver but a few wagos and this fucker should be hung in my flower room by lights on. heres the process if anyones wondering.this is the first time i have used this driver,which will run the 36v cobs to about 62w each.these heatsinks wont even know theres a cob on em being rated for 80+watts :)
cree 3500k cobs 36v version with ideal chip holders and thermal pads so no paste needed and no soldering.i used the angelina reflector adapters even though im not running the reflectors because they help hold down the chip evenly.
IMG 1179

just line up the + on the cob and the holder and click into place
IMG 1186

double sticky sides on the thermal pads,super simple and no mess lol
IMG 1181

installed on the sinks
IMG 1182

i got this roll of wire from grainger ,it was about 45.00 and will last a long fuckin time haha.its safer than sprinkler wire or t stat wire from the depot and has a appliance rating so it will last forever.18ga solid is the only way to go with these holders,i tried stranded and its a bitch lol.
IMG 1187

almost ready to hang :cool:
IMG 1188
IMG 1189

think i might slap that last heatsink on the other bar tomorrow and toss some vero gen 7's on it,peace

hdrhyder

hdrhyder

Nice , simple , clean well thought out assembly Six should give many years of trouble free service . I am looking into using a bridge rectifier on 110v to power a cob string & would be interested in input from any who have tried this . The voltage conv from ac to rectified dc is 1.4 so 110v ac is 156v rectified dc you have to use a capacitor to take the "ripple" out & produce smooth dc & get a correct voltage reading , with a diode before the rectifier that can be switched on or off you have a dimmer that would simulate morning & evening ..... this should give the best efficiency of any led powering manner . Could use help specing the capacitor for 5 x 50w 30v cobs ...Anyone? Thoughts other than I'm nuts .......The MK under led is looking AWESOME any gms per watt figures or just not down for the space? . My grow is 4'x4' so me is harvest weight for space & aeroponics is so new that getting a level stable like a "par" ain't on yet Peace

sixstring

sixstring

Nice , simple , clean well thought out assembly Six should give many years of trouble free service . I am looking into using a bridge rectifier on 110v to power a cob string & would be interested in input from any who have tried this . The voltage conv from ac to rectified dc is 1.4 so 110v ac is 156v rectified dc you have to use a capacitor to take the "ripple" out & produce smooth dc & get a correct voltage reading , with a diode before the rectifier that can be switched on or off you have a dimmer that would simulate morning & evening ..... this should give the best efficiency of any led powering manner . Could use help specing the capacitor for 5 x 50w 30v cobs ...Anyone? Thoughts other than I'm nuts .......The MK under led is looking AWESOME any gms per watt figures or just not down for the space? . My grow is 4'x4' so me is harvest weight for space & aeroponics is so new that getting a level stable like a "par" ain't on yet Peace

That question might be one for @AvidLerner as he's into the build side of electronics.
The mk was 1.1 gpw i cant remember now but i weighed it once around 610grams and again a week later cause it still seemed kinda wet and i wanna say it was about 580ish grams and i used about 530w of cobs.but i could have stuffed another plant in there for sure.i dont weigh stems or larf that was all saleable meds,we had another 200 plus grams of larf we kept for butter.i shoulda opened the plant up more or trimmed it up a touch higher.got a gg4 under the same setup now that should be well over 1.5 gpw based on the size of plant and nugs.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
had just enough time between idiots to put together another bar today.gotta grab some wire from the depot tomorrow to run the remote driver but a few wagos and this fucker should be hung in my flower room by lights on. heres the process if anyones wondering.this is the first time i have used this driver,which will run the 36v cobs to about 62w each.these heatsinks wont even know theres a cob on em being rated for 80+watts :)
cree 3500k cobs 36v version with ideal chip holders and thermal pads so no paste needed and no soldering.i used the angelina reflector adapters even though im not running the reflectors because they help hold down the chip evenly.
View attachment 647067

just line up the + on the cob and the holder and click into place
View attachment 647070

double sticky sides on the thermal pads,super simple and no mess lol
View attachment 647068

installed on the sinks
View attachment 647069

i got this roll of wire from grainger ,it was about 45.00 and will last a long fuckin time haha.its safer than sprinkler wire or t stat wire from the depot and has a appliance rating so it will last forever.18ga solid is the only way to go with these holders,i tried stranded and its a bitch lol.
View attachment 647071

almost ready to hang :cool:
View attachment 647072 View attachment 647073

think i might slap that last heatsink on the other bar tomorrow and toss some vero gen 7's on it,peace
You have some links to the places we can buy the chip holders, heat syncs, thermal pads etc?

sixstring

sixstring

You have some links to the places we can buy the chip holders, heat syncs, thermal pads etc?
sorry i know this was asked before lol
for heatsinks ,cob holders and vero cobs i would go here first https://northerngrowlights.com/collections/all
second spot i can recommend is here
he also has holders and cobs,and will probably try to talk to into buying cheaper shitizen cobs lmao,dude is good to work with also.plus he carries some meanwell drivers
you can always go to these places for cobs,holders,drivers
heatsinks here https://www.cdiweb.com/ProductDetail/LPF11180ZHEB--mechatronix/573584/

meanwell drivers here http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2260623_-1

and also i believe @REALSTYLES on this site is selling cree cobs and heatsinks,maybe drivers also ?
and then you can go directly to china supplier with jerry @ kingbright on alibaba,lots of guys use him.i prefer to keep my cc transactions and money in the usa as much as possible. https://kingbriteled.en.alibaba.com/

sixstring

sixstring

What was the cost on building that bar six?
about 480.00 but the 1/4 in plate aluminum is overkill and expensive,plus the driver i used for this one is in the 100.00 range although i got mine for 90.00.also i used more expensive heatsinks than i had to just to try them out.if you ran vero chips,used 120mm heatsinks and a 240-1400 driver it could be built for about 330.00-350.00 maybe cheaper with some simple angle aluminum as the frame. so about 1.50 per watt the way i made it lol

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
about 480.00 but the 1/4 in plate aluminum is overkill and expensive,plus the driver i used for this one is in the 100.00 range although i got mine for 90.00.also i used more expensive heatsinks than i had to just to try them out.if you ran vero chips,used 120mm heatsinks and a 240-1400 driver it could be built for about 330.00-350.00 maybe cheaper with some simple angle aluminum as the frame. so about 1.50 per watt the way i made it lol
Or maybe even cheaper if you can repurpose something for the frame, you may have changed my mind on my next light. I really appreciate the links, thank you.
What about a used dvr case, like the huge ones the cable company gives you. You could gut it and cut holes out and modify it to house the fans and connect the heat sinks to it somehow?

sixstring

sixstring

Or maybe even cheaper if you can repurpose something for the frame, you may have changed my mind on my next light. I really appreciate the links, thank you.
What about a used dvr case, like the huge ones the cable company gives you. You could gut it and cut holes out and modify it to house the fans and connect the heat sinks to it somehow?

Yeah i have seen some cool shit with diy and cobs.if you get those heatsinks i linked from northern you wont need fans to cool unless you run cobs past 85w.i made some decent frames using angle aluminum from home depot for under 20 bucks.seen a few mars hydro panels that guys used to hack a cob panel from using existing drivers and heatsinks .i like to space out my cobs to 11 to 12 inches.

hdrhyder

hdrhyder

Pm me and I can help you out. Nice build love those lights.
I am looking into using a bridge rectifier on 110v to power a cob string & would be interested in input from any who have tried this . The voltage conv from ac to rectified dc is 1.4 so 110v ac is 156v rectified dc you have to use a capacitor to take the "ripple" out & produce smooth dc & get a correct voltage reading , with a diode before the rectifier that can be switched on or off you have a dimmer that would simulate morning & evening ..... this should give the best efficiency of any led powering manner . Could use help specing the capacitor for 5 x 50w 30v cobs

sixstring

sixstring

I am looking into using a bridge rectifier on 110v to power a cob string & would be interested in input from any who have tried this . The voltage conv from ac to rectified dc is 1.4 so 110v ac is 156v rectified dc you have to use a capacitor to take the "ripple" out & produce smooth dc & get a correct voltage reading , with a diode before the rectifier that can be switched on or off you have a dimmer that would simulate morning & evening ..... this should give the best efficiency of any led powering manner . Could use help specing the capacitor for 5 x 50w 30v cobs

I have no clue what a bridge rectifier is or does sorry i cant help.

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

You are probably looking at a 10uf cap or bigger to smooth out the ripples.

tags420

tags420

How efficient are we talking?

Latest posts

Top Bottom