Sizing a carbon filter???

• Thread starter Liberanos5
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Liberanos5

I have a Max 8", 675 CFM ventilating the grow to the outside. By what means do I choose a carbon scrubber? The fan pulls air through my lights to take that heat out but not to a chimney. 10' x 10' space. Inbound air is just ambient household air until winter sets in then it'll be from the outside. Any input this noobie can get will be greatly appreciated. 24 five gal. pots of unknown sex potentially 12 I suppose! Thank you!

sky high

sky high

Most of the filter manufacturers will have recommend cfm's listed on their website so you can pair the fan/filters together in a working combo. Phresh...Can Fan...Mountainaire....etc.

sedate

sedate

Liberanos5 said:
I have a Max 8", 675 CFM ventilating the grow to the outside. By what means do I choose a carbon scrubber

I would use a CAN100.

L

Liberanos5

I would use a CAN100.
Well I'll risk sounding like a wisy guy but why the CAN100? It happens to be the one I am probably going to get from what I have gleaned from various sources. My grow space is roughly 900 cubic feet. But these puppies are only a 18" tall and the first thing my daughter says when she comes home is "Who's smoking weed?" In the next day or so I'll have all the leaks in the space covered and the door installed...........thanks for the input!

sedate

sedate

liberanos5 said:
But these puppies are only a 18" tall and the first thing my daughter says when she comes home is "Who's smoking weed?"

What are you talking about?

The CAN100 is a massive filter - it's almost 4 feet tall and weighs a fucking 100 pounds.

Anyway - it is a nicely sized filter for that fan (maybe even a bit big) and properly vented should do a great job scrubbing that airspace.

L

Liberanos5

I was talking about the stinking PLANTS..............not the filter!!!!!!!!!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I think the filters CFM is supposed to be rated at least as high as the fan, if you match the numbers as close as possible they should work good together.

qupee

qupee

Phresh filters are great and are much lighter than CAN filters. As others said, the filter's CFM rating should be at least as high as the fan (and it can be higher, easily 50% higher if you want).

L

Liberanos5

Phresh filters are great and are much lighter than CAN filters. As others said, the filter's CFM rating should be at least as high as the fan (and it can be higher, easily 50% higher if you want).
Seems Can filters are roughly $2 a lb. Doesn't lighter mean less activated charcoal? @ $200 I'm hoping to get 18 months out of a Can 100 filter. Is this expectation realistic for roughly 24 five gallon pots? May end up as few as 12 as I still have no idea of the sex of these plants. Thank you for the input, as always. Side question......? Why so many "Farmer" haters on the www. I find the help (as a noobie I need plenty ) here excellent. If I hadda guess I'd say former members disgruntled for being banned for being dicks?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Seems Can filters are roughly $2 a lb. Doesn't lighter mean less activated charcoal? @ $200 I'm hoping to get 18 months out of a Can 100 filter. Is this expectation realistic for roughly 24 five gallon pots? May end up as few as 12 as I still have no idea of the sex of these plants. Thank you for the input, as always. Side question......? Why so many "Farmer" haters on the www. I find the help (as a noobie I need plenty ) here excellent. If I hadda guess I'd say former members disgruntled for being banned for being dicks?

I can answer one of your questions, yes, lighter usually does mean less charcoal, but Phresh filters uses a high quality charcoal thats actually better then Can filters, so less of it does the same job. When you compare the 2 go by CFM and the Phresh filters will be smaller and lighter at the same rating, but it does the same job because of the higher quality activated charcoal.

qupee

qupee

I was under the impression that the Can-Lite filters were built using the same charcoal as the Phresh filters. How long your filter will last is going to depend on your environment - amount of air flow and humidity etc.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I was under the impression that the Can-Lite filters were built using the same charcoal as the Phresh filters. How long your filter will last is going to depend on your environment - amount of air flow and humidity etc.

I don't think there made with the same because I seen a video on YouTube and the guy that owns Phresh was talking about the charcoal they get is from Australia and its some of the best in the world. I think there the only filter company that has a contract with the manufacturing company in Australia that mines the charcoal. I'll do more research and let ya'll know.

qupee

qupee

I don't think there made with the same because I seen a video on YouTube and the guy that owns Phresh was talking about the charcoal they get is from Australia and its some of the best in the world. I think there the only filter company that has a contract with the manufacturing company in Australia that mines the charcoal. I'll do more research and let ya'll know.

If you look closely at Can's site you will see that Can-Lite's are built with "Australian RC Light Weight Granular Carbon". ;)

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

If you look closely at Can's site you will see that Can-Lite's are built with "Australian RC Light Weight Granular Carbon". ;)

Your right, the Can-Lite's are built with Australian RC granular carbon, but the other Can-Filters are not, only the Can-Lite's ;)

Phresh Filter uses RC-48 granular carbon and I believe its a little better then Can-Lite's because of the size of the carbon pieces. Now Liberanos was talking about the Can-100, which does not contain RC granular carbon.

I was wrong about Phresh being the only company that uses Australian carbon, but I think they get it at a cheaper price then competitors. So Liberanos, you should check out prices of Can-Filters, Can-Lite's and the Phresh Filters and compare CFM to see which is best for your space, good luck.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

The price for Can-Lite 600CFM is $185
The price for Phresh Filter 750CFM is $195

So a $10 difference for 150 CFM, but the Can-Lite is a 6" and the Phresh is 8". I got the prices from Ebay.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

What are you talking about?

The CAN100 is a massive filter - it's almost 4 feet tall and weighs a fucking 100 pounds.

Anyway - it is a nicely sized filter for that fan (maybe even a bit big) and properly vented should do a great job scrubbing that airspace.
I bought the can-100 almost 2 years ago, and its done my 10x10 space 24/7 since. No smell.. AWESOME

Top Bottom