Sizing a dehumidifier for lung room

• Thread starter badbluerubi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
badbluerubi

badbluerubi

I have a 10x11 room with 4x4 and 32"x32" tents. All air is vented outside. Needing a dehumidifier. No idea what size. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have a 10x11 room with 4x4 and 32"x32" tents. All air is vented outside. Needing a dehumidifier. No idea what size. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
How many plants is the key here?

What media and how big do you grow them?

Basically you calculate based on watering as plants and evaporation will pretty much put 95% of the water given into the air as humidity.

I have a 4x6 grow table in a 10x7 room that can vary in plant count but say I did 6 plants to about 1.5-2 feet before flipping based on past experiences they will drink roughly 1, to max 1.5 gal in my room each per day. I run a 70 pint and it does well for the period after lights out, doesn't run constant and I feel comfortable knowing it's doing the job easily

So about 35 litres/pints a day. I'd say if you calculate 1.5g per plant per day your gonna be safe.

Now there are other considerations to be had. The rating on the dehumidifier is done at its optimal temp and humidity... usually around 80% and the lower the humidity and temp the less efficient they become. New standards are 65F and 60% for ratings so it's important to check or assume the worst, that it will be less efficient than it's rating.

Then you need to handle the humidity spike at lights out that most times growers don't even realize they have.... this is a huge advantage to preventing PM and other fungal or bacterial infections.

Then the wear and tear of it running constantly if undersized.

So I mean for a small home unit I would say if you calculate at 1.5 gal per day you will get the job done and PROBABLY not have an issue unless trying to run very low humidity (imo don't bother going under 50%)

With that I'd probably go 2 gal a plant (if not doing something like SoG with tiny plants) and your going to be well covered and not over working your equipment.

Now one more pice of advice... buy one with a drain hose and make absolutely sure it has auto restart function for 2 reasons.

1. Power outage and it won't work until you go reset it. If your not around it can cause big issues.

2. I suggest running a controller instead of the very inaccurate sensors that you cannot place because they are internal. They work by cutting the power so auto restart is a must if your gonna use one. Plus you can place the sensor where needed for best result and be very accurate as well as set the RH you want it to turn on and off at.

I use inkbird and they are actually a recent sponsor here. Cannot say enough about thier temp and humidity controllers.

Humidity controller here.

Inkbird Digital Pre-Wired Outlet Dual Stage Humidity Controller IHC-200 for Mushroom Ventilator Fan Crawl Space Curing Meat Grow Room Tent Humidifier Dehumidifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FQKXRXA/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_HZWNVM7JX7MF6NE6YDFM

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

Bigger is better. It only costs a few bucks more and will last longer because it won't have to work as hard.

badbluerubi

badbluerubi

Thanks for all the good information. I am running rbwc 4 5gal. buckets in the tent and 16 gallon reservoir outside the tent. I have another tent in the same room. Also rdwc but 1 plant and 12 gallon reservoir. Its usually dry here about 10% but if it rains it will spike and be 60% or more in the tent. Lost 2 crops to mold. Need to get this figured out fast before I flip the next one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom