Skilled Indoor Guy Helping With His First Outdoor. Educational Resources Wanted.

• Thread starter SNAX
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SNAX

SNAX

Hello! So as the title says, Ive been doing indoor from small to larger scale for about 6 years but now Im switching it up a bit and am going to be a fulltime helper to two skilled growers who have a farm in Southern Oregon. This is my very first time working with outdoor so I wanted to educate myself on the differences so I can become a more valuable hand and would like some recommendations on educational resources please! Books, internet resources, etc. Thanks!

Sun Valley

Sun Valley

Goid luck! Nothinh better than being out in a garden all day. Be prepared to caterpillar hunt :badboy::cool:

FenderSuper

FenderSuper

In the name of pest control, consider a small greenhouse...

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Get some carharts. Get some nice light boots and some gloves that are comfortable.and a sun hat.
If your working for experienced farmers they probly have a system and will let you know how they want things done.

Planter01

Planter01

If you don't have a good pair of Fiskars on your belt you had best go shopping and if you can scuff up the leather holster a bit all the better.

FenderSuper

FenderSuper

If you don't have a good pair of Fiskars on your belt you had best go shopping and if you can scuff up the leather holster a bit all the better.
Which set? There are only 30 or so different tools. Too rich for my blood to buy them all.

Planter01

Planter01

@FenderSuper. I know I was keeping it generic. I'm a bypass guy myself but I don't mind a good pair of anvils either. I like my bonsai/flower pruners and I like my loppers. You don't have to buy them all Fender but you should have a couple. If you have ever lost a pair you've had for years you'll understand the ainxst. It's like losing a pet.

FenderSuper

FenderSuper

@FenderSuper. I know I was keeping it generic. I'm a bypass guy myself but I don't mind a good pair of anvils either. I like my bonsai/flower pruners and I like my loppers. You don't have to buy them all Fender but you should have a couple. If you have ever lost a pair you've had for years you'll understand the ainxst. It's like losing a pet.
Well, maybe like losing a pet to you. To me that's one of the most crushing blows I have ever experienced. But I digress.

Given I'm only growing cannabis (I have never gardened before, but my sister is a master gardener) what pair would you suggest? I'm on a very limited fixed income so every nickel counts. I've cut the cable, gone to a relatively inexpensive Consumers Cellular (the service itself is just fine, very good) phone plan (esp limited on the data plan) and will be selling a LOT of 'stuff' this spring. But thanks if you can recommend the most useful for cannabis!

Planter01

Planter01

Limited budget then get a 2 dollar pair of scissors. You don't need expensive clippers that's for sure. I'm looking at my 13 you Brittany. That bitch is going to break my heart for real. Damm dog...

FenderSuper

FenderSuper

Limited budget then get a 2 dollar pair of scissors. You don't need expensive clippers that's for sure. I'm looking at my 13 you Brittany. That bitch is going to break my heart for real. Damm dog...
With me it's cats. I've always been a cat person. I do NOT wear heels or frumpy dresses. I've had cats for 35 years, non-stop. Each departure is worse torture than the last. I like dogs but cats make you earn it, and I like that very much, because I'm the same way. :) Is your Brittany still ok?

Planter01

Planter01

She's a good old girl. That dog don't hunt that's for sure. No such thing as a outdoor cat here anymore. They wouldn't last one night out with the yotes.

FenderSuper

FenderSuper

She's a good old girl. That dog don't hunt that's for sure. No such thing as a outdoor cat here anymore. They wouldn't last one night out with the yotes.
In 35 years, I've never intentionally let any of my cats outside. Never will. No 'yotes but dogs, cars, psychos, chemicals and other threats keep them inside. I'd keep your brittany in, as well. At least don't let her out, alone.

Planter01

Planter01

She's already had run ins with the yotes. Nothing a few stitches and a war on coyotes Jack Wick or Punisher style couldn't resolve. Think 20g /W 3" #4 buck and Xtra full super turkey choke.

FenderSuper

FenderSuper

She's already had run ins with the yotes. Nothing a few stitches and a war on coyotes Jack Wick or Punisher style couldn't resolve. Think 20g /W 3" #4 buck and Xtra full super turkey choke.
I know a guy who shoots them at 500 yards with a Rem-700 in .270 using 140gr JSPs. If he had it converted to a full-sniper build, he'd bag even more.

Planter01

Planter01

Cats should be kept in anyway. The damage they do to song birds, rodents and amphibians can be measured by the ton. There was a study on an English village where everyone saved their cats catches for a year. It was amazing and that was just what the cats brought home.

FenderSuper

FenderSuper

Cats should be kept in anyway. The damage they do to song birds, rodents and amphibians can be measured by the ton. There was a study on an English village where everyone saved their cats catches for a year. It was amazing and that was just what the cats brought home.
Agreed, but I do not condone the wholesale slaughter of feral cats.

Planter01

Planter01

It's the only way I'm pretty sure. Catching them to spay and neuter is impractical and they won't take their contraceptives. I'm not going to do the job though. I like cats.

Planter01

Planter01

And the solution my friend? As abhorrent as it sounds the damage they do is tremendous and cats are gratuitous in their killing. I guess the damage they have caused is not reversible in Hawaii. Not that our impact isn't worse by tenfold.

FenderSuper

FenderSuper

I don't know the solution, but if I come across people wantonly killing cats, I will end said people. In my world, my cats are my family and ALL cats are my family. People, meh. Humans are a scourge on the planet. Far more destructive to ALL wildlife than any small predator.

Top Bottom