Skilled Workers

• Thread starter amstercal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

amstercal

I often admire the very evident skills of people on this site. I want to share how others do too. It's a great story and I hope to see it come true.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Had to get to page 3 to get to this lovely bit. Thanks for sharing this!

Mike Rowe at the Senate Hearing said:
I believe we need a national PR Campaign for Skilled Labor. A big one. Something that addresses the widening skills gap head on, and reconnects the country with the most important part of our workforce.

Right now, American manufacturing is struggling to fill 200,000 vacant positions. There are 450,000 openings in trades, transportation and utilities. The skills gap is real, and it's getting wider. In Alabama, a third of all skilled tradesmen are over 55. They're retiring fast, and no one is there to replace them.

Alabama's not alone. A few months ago in Atlanta I ran into Tom Vilsack, our Secretary of Agriculture. Tom told me about a governor who was unable to move forward on the construction of a power plant. The reason was telling. It wasn't a lack of funds. It wasn't a lack of support. It was a lack of qualified welders.

In general, we're surprised that high unemployment can exist at the same time as a skilled labor shortage. We shouldn't be. We've pretty much guaranteed it.

In high schools, the vocational arts have all but vanished. We've elevated the importance of "higher education" to such a lofty perch that all other forms of knowledge are now labeled "alternative." Millions of parents and kids see apprenticeships and on-the-job-training opportunities as "vocational consolation prizes," best suited for those not cut out for a four-year degree. And still, we talk about millions of "shovel ready" jobs for a society that doesn't encourage people to pick up a shovel.

Still reading.

A

amstercal

Yeah, I probably should have posted the point of it. Duh. Yes, I would love to see a PR campaign and better support for the schools that teach trades and more understanding of how important these skills are.

R

RMCG

While I agree with the ~sentiments~ of the article and it is our ~own doing~, can you blame us?

30 years ago, you didn't have big box home improvement stores, why should I pay for a plumber when I can go pick up a few items and do it myself?

Personally, I come from a line of draftsmen, engineers, etc. While I did learn to rebuild engines, change oil, wood work, etc at a young age (handing Dad the wrenches, etc.) I also took it upon myself to take those 'votech' classes and learn on my own. I will agree that those classes WERE filled with those that weren't destined for 'higher education'... Those were not the kids that were in your keyboarding, programming, science/math classes.

I've worked in jobs where you 'came home dirty' and it sucked. 'Perma-Dirt' on your hands, eyes watering uncontrollably from welding all day, nasty chemicals on your skin and inhaled, body aching, early arthritis in your hands, etc. I am not knocking any of the 'trade' jobs, as they are essential, but they are not for everyone. To me, its sort of like the military. Not everyone is cut out to be an officer.

Today, fatherless kids don't get to learn some of the basics, but again, why should I change my own oil now? When I can pay someone 20$ and have them do it? I can't even buy the oil/filters to do it myself for that. I am not sure I would teach my kid to change his own oil...

'Skilled Trades' are FAR better than McJobs, but we are becoming a 'service oriented' country. Hell, there is very little 'repair' going on now, as its cheaper/easier to 'swap it out' then 'fix it'. As people become educated in more 'theoretical vs physical' work, the wages go up, we have higher standards of living, etc. and you can then afford to send your kids to college. I personally would push my kid to NOT go in to these 'trades'. I make 2-3x as much with my brain than someone that has been 'in a trade' for a number of years, my body won't be 'giving up' when I am 55 and the earning potential is much higher.

Next time I read a Forbes article about the latest 'Millionaire Plumber' I'll make a note to push my kid that direction...

Latest posts

Top Bottom