Skittles cloning?

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
She has to be the most difficult I’ve ever cloned.
anyone found a system for good results, IE-temps, RH, any method or suggestions would be appreciated.
So far I’ve only tried rapid rooter cubes with 2 out of 12 survival rate.
She’s a picky bitch and loves her nutrients.
Skittles cloning

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
She has to be the most difficult I’ve ever cloned.
anyone found a system for good results, IE-temps, RH, any method or suggestions would be appreciated.
So far I’ve only tried rapid rooter cubes with 2 out of 12 survival rate.
She’s a picky bitch and loves her nutrients.View attachment 931200

I've found the hard to clone strains just require a ton of attention. I use a little rack in my dome to keep the plugs above the water. Change out the water every other day and use a 12ml syringe to resoak the plugs once a day. Making sure everything is clean and sterile as possible to avoid mold etc. You know how it goes. It sucks but yeah those strains ya just gotta take every step carefully.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I've found the hard to clone strains just require a ton of attention. I use a little rack in my dome to keep the plugs above the water. Change out the water every other day and use a 12ml syringe to resoak the plugs once a day. Making sure everything is clean and sterile as possible to avoid mold etc. You know how it goes. It sucks but yeah those strains ya just gotta take every step carefully.
Thank you sir, I shall give your process a try.

Dbear180

Dbear180

I've had better luck with plugs lately than my ez cloners. The ezs ran great when they were new, literally set it & forget it until i got slimed after about my 5th run, & after that it was always a battle. Bought a new one & same story, just couldn't get em sterile again. A friend told me to build my own manifold I could take apart & clean & I'm almost sure for me that's what the problem was in the end (couldn't 100% clean some parts). Once I started using plugs tho I never looked back, way less hassle for me.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I've had better luck with plugs lately than my ez cloners. The ezs ran great when they were new, literally set it & forget it until i got slimed after about my 5th run, & after that it was always a battle. Bought a new one & same story, just couldn't get em sterile again. A friend told me to build my own manifold I could take apart & clean & I'm almost sure for me that's what the problem was in the end (couldn't 100% clean some parts). Once I started using plugs tho I never looked back, way less hassle for me.

Yeah I like the Rapid Rooter plugs myself. I used to use rock wool cubes but I think they hold too much moisture. The biggest thing I have found for cloning success is simply keeping it sterile. I wash my hands like a surgeon up to the elbows and wear a new pair of nitrile gloves every time I touch 'em or do anything that involves opening the dome.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey 1diesel, give me a min
Are you using a cloning tray with a dome ?

dire wolf

dire wolf

Ok
Im gonna offer my advice, its all i been doing more or less is making clones, i mean like thousands over the years, of course its been bascially one plant, my girl,but my sucess rate is like..... 100%

Thats the problem, everytime i think of offering advice, i try not to sound like a bragging douche,so please forgiive me but, i make a lot of clones, so hopefully i can help.....

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I also use rapid rooters. Even my hard to clone cuts root well in them normally. I dont take any extra steps though, just keep things clean, air out the dome once a day and if the rooters look like they're getting dry I rehydrate them. My worst case scenario is I get about 50/50 sometimes with my pre-98 bubba that is my worst rooter. I just take twice or 3 times as many cuts as I need.
But by far I have the best results in rapid rooters. They're also pre charged with rapid start, which i think helps.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Do you have a bunch of these rooter holding plastic cups ?

dire wolf

dire wolf

Get a small metal poker, anything will do.as long as its smaller than the rooter opening, then dip the rod in clonex and grease the hole you made with water /clonex either or both

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

Next grab a cup full of water, like a glass measuring cup, whatever, take your cuts, cut a 1/2inch extra off plant, i like to use really sharp scissor...
Drop all cuts in water fast, so no air gets into stem , ( the air thing might be a myth) but thats how i was taught.....
Cleanliness is important but i never go surgical clean, just wash out trays, hands, metal poker etc.....
One thing thats variable, is where you take your cuts from, common belief is that the lower branches and stalks produce the best cuts, i dont live by that rule, but i have seen the lamest yellowish weak shaded stems , they go off and root fastest...
More in a min......

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah I make my final cut under water with a new razor blade, about 1/8" below a node. The sharper the tool the better, you want a very clean cut. Then dip in rooting gel and Into the rooter it goes. If it's a fat stem I'll just use the RR hole it comes with, they are tapered and will grab a fat stem no prob. But for skinny cuts I make a new smaller hole beside the existing hole like dire wolf does.

Also for fussy plants it's important to cut back nitrogen from the mother plant a week or 2 before taking cuttings. I damn near starve my plants before taking the cuts. In soiless I'll do 2-3 waterings of plain water before clones are cut.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

Drop all cuts in water fast, so no air gets into stem , ( the air thing might be a myth) but thats how i was taught.....
That is how I was taught as well, but I also think that might be one of a milion other myths when it comes to growing cannabis. I have sent/received cuttings that have only a wet paper towel wrapped around te stems. There has to be a little bit of air getting into the stem at some point in transit. I have always disliked how much misinformation is spread and just blindly taken as fact in our lovely community. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Top Bottom