Slight fuzz on rooted clones, what to do?

• Thread starter MrChemovar
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MrChemovar

MrChemovar

So I just checked 1 of my trays of clones and found some with a slightly white peach fuzz on the base of the cutting where they are inserted into the peat moss jiffy pellet plugs. Majority of which in the same tray does not, but considering that these are spores most likely the other clones have this as well. Should I scrap this tray or try to spray some H2o2 on it what do you think for the clones that don't have fuzz on them, gonna toss the others.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
So I just checked 1 of my trays of clones and found some with a slightly white peach fuzz on the base of the cutting where they are inserted into the peat moss jiffy pellet plugs. Majority of which in the same tray does not, but considering that these are spores most likely the other clones have this as well. Should I scrap this tray or try to spray some H2o2 on it what do you think for the clones that don't have fuzz on them, gonna toss the others.
Personally I've never had to use peroxide for this problem, but I'm sure somebody has a water/peroxide ratio to suggest. All I do when I see this is start opening the dome for a while each day. You said they are rooted clones, so just wondering if they are rooted why arent they planted? If they have roots they shouldnt even need a dome anymore. I have heard of people using peroxide and just making things worse, so I would start by starving the fungi of moisture via removing the dome. As long as the effected clones arent bent over from rotting stems, just expose them to dry air and they should be fine, no need to scrap em unless they're THAT bad... Got any pics?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
but to be certain a close up pic in natural light would help to diagnose. This white deposit is called mycelium. It is a naturally occurring fungus whose job it is to breakdown organic material.

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Many times, as roots grow, they grow very very fine masses that look fuzzy, like white mild, along the root. It is probably what you are seeing but even a tiny bit of mold shouldn't cause too much of a problem. If you see the root discolor, turn brownish, or get slimy, then you DO have a issue that needs resolved ASAP. As long as the plant looks happy and the root is white, you are headed in the right direction.

MrChemovar

MrChemovar

Appreciate everyones feedback! I did end up tossing some before I read this thread, opening up and provided more airflow and we're all peachy. Had a little freakout moment, don't like to do nothing when what I thought to be mold was present. Cleaning out the space for these babies to be transplanted and moved to, otherwise they woulda been planted already. Will be picking up H2o2 as a precautionary measure as well.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Appreciate everyones feedback! I did end up tossing some before I read this thread, opening up and provided more airflow and we're all peachy. Had a little freakout moment, don't like to do nothing when what I thought to be mold was present. Cleaning out the space for these babies to be transplanted and moved to, otherwise they woulda been planted already. Will be picking up H2o2 as a precautionary measure as well.

Mold isn't as hard to control as some people think. Just remember fungi requires moisture and time. I use charts similar to this one to help my indoor grows -

TEMP-RH-and-MOLD-Charts.jpg

This will help you understand the environmental conditions mold needs to grow. You can use this information to periodically "dry out" your grow area, and delay growth (of mold). A good quality air filter will help reduce mold spores and pathogens, as well.

roach

roach

Mold isn't as hard to control as some people think. Just remember fungi requires moisture and time. I use charts similar to this one to help my indoor grows -

TEMP-RH-and-MOLD-Charts.jpg

This will help you understand the environmental conditions mold needs to grow. You can use this information to periodically "dry out" your grow area, and delay growth (of mold). A good quality air filter will help reduce mold spores and pathogens, as well.

I had no idea a chart like that existed, that is so helpful, thank you!

MrChemovar

MrChemovar

Sweet, where did this chart come from? Appreciate it btw as well

onextremebuzz

onextremebuzz

Here I am 2 years later I have white fuzz on my peat pellets. I think there fine. I was just gonna peel the screen off and wash the dirt off the roots with water

20210326 074449
Top Bottom