Slightly harsh in back of throat

• Thread starter Huffy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Huffy

Huffy

HELP! I grew some fantastic sativa used mostly organics and uncured molasses flush the plants for three weeks with cleared, hung to dry in dark garage for 2 weeks then cured in glass jars for 2weeks before smoking and still a slight burn at the back of my throat even though the bud looks and taste delicious any ideas on why it still gives me a slight burn when smoking?
The bubble hash I made looks and smells fantastic as well but that also has a slight burn at the back of my throat when I burn it? IDEAS PLEASE!

Marzcanna

Marzcanna

HELP! I grew some fantastic sativa used mostly organics and uncured molasses flush the plants for three weeks with cleared, hung to dry in dark garage for 2 weeks then cured in glass jars for 2weeks before smoking and still a slight burn at the back of my throat even though the bud looks and taste delicious any ideas on why it still gives me a slight burn when smoking?
The bubble hash I made looks and smells fantastic as well but that also has a slight burn at the back of my throat when I burn it? IDEAS PLEASE!

Could be a few things, ive also grown some Dinafem sativa that smelled, looked, tasted and hit hard but gave that harshness on your throat and sometimes you can even feel it in your nose. What i think the problem there might still be chlorophyll left. How long did you air dry it for before jaring them? Also do you take ec/ppm reading when flashing?

Marzcanna

Marzcanna

Rinse the buds in cold water right after chopping next time. Makes a huge difference.

This is also new to me, i know about bud washing for other reasons, would like to learn more about this, what is the logic behind it? Could be that buds pick up dust and other things that could give you a harsh smoke? Possible yes and there for bud washing could help

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Think about it for a minute.

Even if it's grown in the most pristine indoor conditions, essentially all indoor bud is going to have some dust or dirt on it. It's essentially a sticky trap that's had fans blowing on it for months at a time. If fans accumulate dust and whatnot from the environment, then it stands to reason that buds do as well.

Honestly, it makes a huge difference. I do a three stage wash, right after chopping.

Baking soda and vinegar to create suspended CO2, then warm water (130 degrees or so) very briefly (1.5 seconds max), then cold water in an ice bath.

The baking soda and vinegar wash agitates the dirt off of the buds, the warm water releases some of the chlorophyll and cellulose by weakening the cellular structure of the leaf (think cooking spinach), and then cold water at the end preserves the buds and cools them.

Last edited:
Marzcanna

Marzcanna

Even if it's grown in the most pristine indoor conditions, essentially all indoor bud is going to have some dust or dirt on it. It's essentially a sticky trap that's had fans blowing on it for months at a time. If fans accumulate dust and whatnot from the environment, then it stands to reason that buds do as well.

Honestly, it makes a huge difference. I do a three stage wash, right after chopping.

Baking soda and vinegar to create suspended CO2, then warm water (130 degrees or so) very briefly (1.5 seconds max), then cold water in an ice bath.

The baking soda and vinegar wash agitates the dirt off of the buds, the warm water weakens the molecular bonds in the leaves and makes them dry more evenly, while releasing some of the chlorophyll and cellulose by weakening the cellular structure of the leaf, and then cold water at the end preserves the buds and cools them.

Yes now i know what you are talking about and i stand with you 100% on this make all the sense in the world, i too bud wash for the same reasons as you mentioned. 100% facts. I have not tried vinegar only lemon juice tho

linde

linde

Molasses isn't meant to be burned. That's what you are tasting. It is simply not needed. The more crap u put in the soil the worse your dope will taste. Less is more with cannabis.

Rooke

Rooke

Molasses isn't meant to be burned. That's what you are tasting. It is simply not needed. The more crap u put in the soil the worse your dope will taste. Less is more with cannabis.
hey there@ linde just wanted to chime in re: molasses I have never tried to use it during the later part of flowering or flushing there’s some that believe it helps the plant feed itself during a flush.this fall I timed my flushes with the ripening of my trichombs some plants got 2 weeks and some got 10 days the larger pots got 2 weeks of just ph’d water these were all outdoor plants. When I sent various samples to the PNW to my friend he gave some to his neighbour a longtime grower and asked him to give his opinion. First off he said I should’ve flushed for four weeks which would’ve helped the harshness and burn ability. To me it’s not that harsh and after 2 months of cure time the harshness has disappeared and the burning is pretty grey now after 2 weeks of flushing my gals looked like they were fading as planed but looked like they were hungry too. I had about 3 frosts during the flush which could’ve attributed to the fade and hunger look this was mid October just wondering if any growers that grow in large pots 40 ish gallons flush for a month?

Huffy

Huffy

Could be a few things, ive also grown some Dinafem sativa that smelled, looked, tasted and hit hard but gave that harshness on your throat and sometimes you can even feel it in your nose. What i think the problem there might still be chlorophyll left. How long did you air dry it for before jaring them? Also do you take ec/ppm reading when flashing?
Thank you for the info! These were all outdoor and I flushed with 7.0 (neutral PH ) water and Clearex (typo above) for min2 weeks and 3 weeks for others as they were not ready to harvest at same time. There was slight dust/dirt on them being outdoors all summer, although when harvested I give each branch a good shake before hanging-hung all in dark, cool garage for minimum 2 weeks.
I did not take PPM read when flushing.
I also did not use others recent advice to brown bag buds prior to jarring which I will def do this coming season. Also did not use hygrometer to ensure RH was 5-6.0 in paper bag before jarring, which I will also do next time!
Rinsing buds in cold water with lemon juice or vinegar and baking soda kinda raises the hair on my neck when considering this method because rinsing buds with water scares me that mold may occur even though others swear by the method.
I’ve read so much research on using uncured virgin molasses as helping the plants to be able to absorb micro nutrients better than if not using it seem to make sense to me and I’m not sure whether I’m ready to give up using molasses during the flowering process.
As far as flushing the plants goes I did switch from using water flush only to every other day using water with the Clearex every other day for a minimum Of two weeks and obviously no feeling of any nutrients or molasses during the flushing process.
The bottom line is I guess bagging buds in paper bags helping the chlorophyll to escape and checking the RH With a hygrometer to reach 5.5-6.5 prior to jarring make a lot of sense to me which I was missing in my steps of curing this year.

Huffy

Huffy

The baking soda and vinegar wash agitates the dirt off of the buds, the warm water releases some of the chlorophyll and cellulose by weakening the cellular structure of the leaf (think cooking spinach), and then cold water at the end preserves the buds and cools them.
How does mold not occur using this method? Scares me using any water/liquid on finished bud!

Rooke

Rooke

Thank you for the info! These were all outdoor and I flushed with 7.0 (neutral PH ) water and Clearex (typo above) for min2 weeks and 3 weeks for others as they were not ready to harvest at same time. There was slight dust/dirt on them being outdoors all summer, although when harvested I give each branch a good shake before hanging-hung all in dark, cool garage for minimum 2 weeks.
I did not take PPM read when flushing.
I also did not use others recent advice to brown bag buds prior to jarring which I will def do this coming season. Also did not use hygrometer to ensure RH was 5-6.0 in paper bag before jarring, which I will also do next time!
Rinsing buds in cold water with lemon juice or vinegar and baking soda kinda raises the hair on my neck when considering this method because rinsing buds with water scares me that mold may occur even though others swear by the method.
I’ve read so much research on using uncured virgin molasses as helping the plants to be able to absorb micro nutrients better than if not using it seem to make sense to me and I’m not sure whether I’m ready to give up using molasses during the flowering process.
As far as flushing the plants goes I did switch from using water flush only to every other day using water with the Clearex every other day for a minimum Of two weeks and obviously no feeling of any nutrients or molasses during the flushing process.
The bottom line is I guess bagging buds in paper bags helping the chlorophyll to escape and checking the RH With a hygrometer to reach 5.5-6.5 prior to jarring make a lot of sense to me which I was missing in my steps of curing this year.
hey there can you tell a bit about cleared please🤛

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

How does mold not occur using this method? Scares me using any water/liquid on finished bud!

How would it occur? I'm not letting the buds sit in water for an extended period of time, and the rinses will reduce the number of spores that are dormant on the plant. It's just like washing vegetables before eating them, just with a much tougher, more fibrous, resinous plant. Once they're free of surface moisture, they go right into the final jars with a humidity pack without a lid for a few days, then they get sealed a few days later.

If we smoked broccoli, would you rinse it before packing some or just blaze it straight from the stalk? 😉😄

Mold will only occur if the spores are present, there's not enough airflow, and the right temperature and humidity conditions exist.

Marzcanna

Marzcanna

I guess it depands on your climate but for me when I wash my buds I than fan dry them for about an hour just enough so the buds are not wet and than air dry as normal before putting them in jars

Top Bottom