Slow development or not?

• Thread starter home_grower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BrianDirt

BrianDirt

Some big plants you got there, glad to see more watts in there for em, yup they are starting to flower now, try not to over water they look a little soggy.

home_grower

home_grower

Some big plants you got there, glad to see more watts in there for em, yup they are starting to flower now, try not to over water they look a little soggy.

Actually, while we're on the watering subject...
I'm aware that I should not add water if the dirt is cold and moist.

But, today I noticed all the leaves pointing down, looking a bit tired. Especially the young bright green ones.
The soil was wet, not only dark and moist looking. But I added some more water :( thinking that the lack of water might be the reason the leaves are pointing down.
This right water dosage is pretty tricky, er?

You know any other reason for the leaves to look tired?

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

They can look like that from overwatering as well!! Last thing you want to do is add more water if the dirt is already cold and moist,be careful you could be causing root rot if you don't let the soil dry out a bit inbetween waterings!Watering dosage should not be a problem so long as you have a proper root development and are draining away the excess and are not letting them soak it back up from the bottom? This entire grow will basically jus be a learning experience as what not to do in the future! Good Luck!

home_grower

home_grower

She is rather tall :( I did that to the poor girl by robbing her of the necessary light.

Will these buds get bigger or stay pretty much the same in size just fill up with THC during flowering?

DSCN1488
DSCN1486
jagle

jagle

youll get bigger buds dont worry.

hope you have more going at the moment, not gonna yeild much off her

home_grower

home_grower

Nope, this is my only one.
Had two, overdosed the other one with nuts :(

Actually, how much weed should one expect from a single plant?

jagle

jagle

thats asking how long is a piece of string.
id get 3oz off a plant with a 250, 4-5 with a 400 and so on, youllg egt a few grams, maybe 10-12

home_grower

home_grower

thats asking how long is a piece of string.
id get 3oz off a plant with a 250, 4-5 with a 400 and so on, youllg egt a few grams, maybe 10-12

So, you're saying you get about 100 grams from a plant and I'll probably get about 10 times less out of mine? :)
10 grams ain't that bad, at least I'll get a taste of how strong it is.

It's all good, I guess. Live and learn.
I'll raise the next one properly.

jagle

jagle

ya, proper pots, soil nutes, lights, vents,veg time, all play a part

home_grower

home_grower

Hey everybody,

how much longer do you guys recon I have left till harvest time? I've attached some photos I took of my plant this morning, hope it helps you determine the state it's in.

It's been about 45 days since I saw the first preflowers (start of flowering stage) and about 3 months + change since my plant got out of the ground (start of vege stage).

DSCN1521
DSCN1525
DSCN1526
DSCN1528

MarijuanaBaybee

MarijuanaBaybee

the truthh id say go with ur gut feeling n if possible get a lensse to check out the trich and see how theyre loookin....i guess a rule a thumb i could recomend would be if more than half of the hairs have turned orange then its time to pull but if new white pistils are still popin out id wait a lil bit longer to pull and chop her down i knoe it seems kindve hard at the moment cuzzzz i remember my first time i didint knoe much and well hell, i still got plenty of more learnin to do but its really never ending the learning process of these plants, thats why i love them so much :D ... but the best advice i could give u iss check out the thrics if possible get a calculation more less of the days u would like to start flushing at if u havent already started too and if possible check out the hairs on the plant and seee more less wat the ratio is in bettween the orange and white hairs and from there u can determine if its close to being done or not and another thing b4 i forget imo i think its better if u would wait a lil bit longer but not too long  cuzz things could go wrong ull start to pop naners(seeds), in my opinion its always better to pull closeer to the time of plants matuarity than to pull somethin and smoke a plant that was cut early sorta premeish but again that just my opinon on it good luck on the groww bud

.'. MB .'.

home_grower

home_grower

... get a calculation more less of the days u would like to start flushing at if u havent already started too ...
What's "flushing"?
I'm not worried about seeds since I only have this one plant that is a female and no other plants in the room. No male plants = no seeds, right?

The top flower already has a few orange hairs but the lower ones don't have any yet. Can I cut flowers individually as they mature or is there a rule saying that I should pull the whole plant at once when ready?

MarijuanaBaybee

MarijuanaBaybee

the simplest way i can explain what "flushing" to me means is, instead of watering your plants with nutes, you water them as you would regularly - just with out nutes for the last 2 weeks..... some patna's of mine do it different what they do is flush wiith 4timesx the water the container will hold. You will see each time the water will come a little clearer.they do this 2 times during the last 2 weeks before harvest. So reallly its up to you like my buddy tells me u ask 10 growers the same question ur going to get 10 different ansers no one is wrong its just that we all learn and things work differently for everyone.........The whole point and object of it is to remove as much nutrient's from the growing media as possible. Obviously this is easier to do in hydroponics than soil, but the reasons and methods are essentially the same. You want to begin to starve the plants of food so that there isn't any excess stored nutrient in the bud to ruin the burn and taste. example if its a 10 week strain u start the proccces around week 8 or so and if they and 8 week''rs then u would start around week 6 1/2 or so....hope this helpsss :cool:

Dunge

Dunge

One of the best tricks I learned here at the farm, is to heft your plant for moisture content. Before the plant wilts from drought it will become markedly light weight. I have also watered to saturation, weighed the plant after 24 and 48 hours, and calculated the water use. Gave me a feeling for water needs as a function of leaf area. Small pots can dry out quickly, so don't get too ambitious with this heft test on little guys.
I like the look of your plants.
To my eye they look about half way done. But then, I'm watching two White Fires that just refuse to amber up. Seems to take forever.

home_grower

home_grower

Guys, I'm gonna harvest my plant in 2 days, any objections?
The top flower is well into (if not above) the "50% orange hairs" ratio (see photos). The bottom ones hardly have any orange hairs, but I guess that's that.
I'm gonna cut the plant at the very base and hang it up side down to dry until I read into a proper drying technique. Any directions on drying procedure would be most helpful.
How long do you think it will take since the harvest to the point where it is dry and I can smoke my self retarded on it :) ?

DSCN1533
DSCN1534
DSCN1537

Dunge

Dunge

Do what you will, but these flowers are far from "ready" by the standards of this forum.
From my study here, the use of pistol color is not a diagnostic.
Trichome development is what most of us use. (You will need a jewelers loop to view)
Your trichs will be small and clear.
They need to be cloudy then amber.
So long as the plant is still developing, I would advise you to clip and dry a few flowers just to keep you from cutting the plant. As the weeks go by, you may notice is getting better and you will certainly notice it getting bigger.
You will look back on this as thread and laugh your ass off.
You also need more plants in the pipeline just to divert your attention away from this plant.

home_grower

home_grower

I'm not in a hurry to harvest at all! If I gave you the impression that I'm impatient and want to cut my plant down and smoke it ASAP, that's not it at all! I was using pistils color to make sure I don't miss the train and my plant goes bad or something. I can wait for as long as needed.
I've attached some close-up photos of the pistils and trichs, can you please have a look? I have a jewelers lens for 10x magnification but I really don't know what I'm looking for :( Maybe you can see the condition by looking at the photos (Open in a new window/tab to be able to zoom in at the original photo size).

About clipping and drying a few flowers only... do you think I should do it because the top flower on my plant is ready or just because it will distract me and keep me from cutting down the whole plant?

Dunge

Dunge

Nice photography.
Those little white dots on stalks are trichomes.
They look cloudy, don't they?
Waiting for a few to amber up is what I understand the experts do.
They certainly look healthy.

home_grower

home_grower

Thx Dunge!
I think I got it now. I'm suppose to wait for the little crystal-like drops on the leaves to turn from clear/white to a honey like drop.
Leaving the plant alive for a while longer.

BTW, those little "stalks" coming out of the buds... do I trim those as well before hanging the plant to try? Basically, are those leaves with the crystals on them also smokable?

home_grower

home_grower

Hm.. I did some research myself and found this:
Scale

Is this right? Cause if I can control the "high type" I would definitely avoid the "narcotic - stoner" type high. I'm more of an "uppers" kinda guy.
According to this image, I should probably just wait for the first signs of amber trichomes and cut the flower. No way my plant will progress as a whole. Bottom flowers are just starting to change pistils color so, I'm gonna cut individual flowers as they get ready rather than cutting the whole plant at once.

Top Bottom