Slow germination/seedling growth

• Thread starter growlo_b
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growlo_b

growlo_b

I started germinating seeds for my first grow about 10 days ago. I started with the 12-hour soak in water, then finished in paper towel for 48 hours. Tap roots grew well and everything seemed ok.

Since planting in the starter solo cups, things have been moving painfully slow. There's been very little growth in the last 7 days. The attached picture is from about a day ago. You'll see that the cotyledons haven't opened.

Is this normal? Here are some details on the grow:

Medium: Cyco Coco Coir 70/30
Watering: Just light watering once per day, distilled water PH'd to 6.1, no nutes
Lights: Mars Hydro SP250 hung to 36" (higher than recommended for seedlings according to Mars)
Temp: 77F
RH: 70%

Slow germinationseedling growth
Nugg

Nugg

I don't think distilled water will work...I'm not positive... most use ro with small amount of cal/mag.in coco..or plain water by itself..

growlo_b

growlo_b

I don't think distilled water will work...I'm not positive... most use ro with small amount of cal/mag.in coco..or plain water by itself..

I will supplement with CalMag once they get a little bigger but from what I've read, most just water with PH'd water in pre-buffered coco until they are starting to grow a bit.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
They are MUCH too small to be suffering from any deficiencies... Some seeds sprout then seem to stall for a week or two. This usually happens as the plant concentrates on growing roots. Once the roots are established, the plant will begin to grow rapidly. Jack Herer from seed did the same thing to me... after 2 weeks I removed the sprout only to see bigger than expected roots. I re-planted it and it caught up to other plants after about 9 weeks of vegging. FWIW, I would recommend against removing any membranes, etc drom the seedling. It looks easy but I have invaribly damaged many more than benefitted from the procedure. The membrane will fall away naturally in a few days. When plants are seedlings, any damage can have a major effect later in growing. Much like radiation is especially bad for babies (because they are still growing rapidly) and the same mentality holds true for plants and early plant manipulation... it's best avoided unless there is no other choice.

TheWizardOfOz

TheWizardOfOz

Zero nutes for those newly established roots to feed on. Never let the coco dry out too much either.

I know the major consensus is not to nute for "x" weeks, but seedlings in nature and most soil grows will have some nutes, even if at around 0.25ec...it's something.

Jimster's explanation is also supported.

Think also that those leaves need to be used for energy, when unable the spread open properly it will have an effect like slow growth.

growlo_b

growlo_b

OK, like most things, patience is key I guess. They do look better and better each day. I'll just keep up with the watering and see where things go.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Zero nutes for those newly established roots to feed on. Never let the coco dry out too much either.

I know the major consensus is not to nute for "x" weeks, but seedlings in nature and most soil grows will have some nutes, even if at around 0.25ec...it's something.
Most mediums will have some nutrients in them... at least to get the seedling started... maybe except for hydro. I use Promix and plant directly from paper towel to 5 gallon bucket. Promix isn't supposed to have any added nutrients, but there is enough natural nutrients to get things started.
I don't have any problems with a light feeding on new seedlings, but I don't want to encourage the rampant use of mega doses of fertilizer on tiny plants. Most of the feeding recommendations are for larger and well established plants that can better use the higher concentrate of nutes. Dumping a dose on a seedling that would feed a 7' tall outdoor plant is a major mismatch, IMO. It seems that 90% or more of problems come from overfeeding/burn, or lockout from excessive nutes and Ph manipulation. Overwatering causes issues, but not normally as harmful as nute burn or lockouts.
Again, there is no 1 way to correctly grow... as long as you get a decent quality end product, you have done well. Plants are like people in regards to their diet. Feed people a buffet every meal and they will not do as well as someone who is eating a balanced and not overloaded diet. Plants respond the same way and overfeeding can be as bad as underfeeding, if not worse. Try to strike a balance. Whether you grow like in nature or in Frankenstein's lab, balance, restraint, and patience seem to be as important as nutes and Ph levels.

Latest posts

Top Bottom