Slow Growers

• Thread starter PlumberSoCal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

There have been many years when seeds were hard to come by and I'd baby anything that grew. Slow growth didn't matter and a few of those plants grew up and gave me some nice smoke. But, for the most part they weren't worth the time or effort.

Today I plant a half dozen seeds every week for a several weeks until I have 5-6 strong fast growing plants and compost the stragglers.

There was one that caught my eye but just wasn't showing much growth compared to it's siblings. It looked good but damn, I wasn't about to put it in a pot or the garden with the others but I didn't have the heart to pull it so I tucked it in my herb garden ("herb" garden) in front of my Rosemary where it continued to grow very slowly.

Here it is at about 9 weeks of age. It will be interesting to see what happens. I'll try and update every week or so throughout the summer. Never know, with another 3+ months it may turn out all right. I'd wager when all is said and done it will produce much less than it's sisters. Hell, it could be a male. That would get it composted. We'll see.

Stay tuned...

Slow growers
Slow growers 2
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

There have been many years when seeds were hard to come by and I'd baby anything that grew. Slow growth didn't matter and a few of those plants grew up and gave me some nice smoke. But, for the most part they weren't worth the time or effort.

Today I plant a half dozen seeds every week for a several weeks until I have 5-6 strong fast growing plants and compost the stragglers.

There was one that caught my eye but just wasn't showing much growth compared to it's siblings. It looked good but damn, I wasn't about to put it in a pot or the garden with the others but I didn't have the heart to pull it so I tucked it in my herb garden ("herb" garden) in front of my Rosemary where it continued to grow very slowly.

Here it is at about 9 weeks of age. It will be interesting to see what happens. I'll try and update every week or so throughout the summer. Never know, with another 3+ months it may turn out all right. I'd wager when all is said and done it will produce much less than it's sisters. Hell, it could be a male. That would get it composted. We'll see.

Stay tuned...
that rosemary will sure enough keep the bugs off,bright side is i have seen this plant grow from a crack in the sidewalk,and have also seen plants forgot about be the best plants and turn out great yielder with no help,bro didnt even know it was growing till it out grew his pasture weeds hahah

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

that rosemary will sure enough keep the bugs off,bright side is i have seen this plant grow from a crack in the sidewalk,and have also seen plants forgot about be the best plants and turn out great yielder with no help,bro didnt even know it was growing till it out grew his pasture weeds hahah

I know, it's really weird how good a runt can grow up but for the most part I don't want to propagate 'em. I'm pretty sure it's all genetics like other inherent traits. The male and female I put together both show a red streak in some branches and those pollen balls have some color I'd like to develop, depending on how the smoke turns out. None of the other plants display it so it must be genetic and should be transferable to a small percent of their offspring as well as a few lower branches on the other two I'll pollinate. Lot of fun. Here's a close up of the male. More colorful in person, I think. Maybe I should grab my glasses.

20190512 102232
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I know, it's really weird how good a runt can grow up but for the most part I don't want to propagate 'em. I'm pretty sure it's all genetics like other inherent traits. The male and female I put together both show a red streak in some branches and those pollen balls have some color I'd like to develop, depending on how the smoke turns out. None of the other plants display it so it must be genetic and should be transferable to a small percent of their offspring as well as a few lower branches on the other two I'll pollinate. Lot of fun.
peppermint in there with would really be a big advantage,especially for summer,im keeping every thing in my big garden at bay with just neem oil for now,rain storm i had a week or so ago wiped out my corn,just finished pulling all of it this morn,getting a load of compost coming week and gonna give another shot before it too late,same with potato,i harvested 3 bags friday and went right back in with yukon golds,weird year here,never rains and had plenty all in 2 storms plus hail,5 first storm 7 last storm all i ten minutes,hahahah,dealing with storms is easier than bugs,lol

Last edited:
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I know, it's really weird how good a runt can grow up but for the most part I don't want to propagate 'em. I'm pretty sure it's all genetics like other inherent traits. The male and female I put together both show a red streak in some branches and those pollen balls have some color I'd like to develop, depending on how the smoke turns out. None of the other plants display it so it must be genetic and should be transferable to a small percent of their offspring as well as a few lower branches on the other two I'll pollinate. Lot of fun. Here's a close up of the male. More colorful in person, I think. Maybe I should grab my glasses.
looks like it be ready to pop soon,your females prince in shinning armour hahah

lunarob

lunarob

I believe the fruit in the background is one I've been struggling to remember yesterday... is it asian plum? Thanks.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I believe the fruit in the background is one I've been struggling to remember yesterday... is it asian plum? Thanks.

Loquat. Kinda like an apricot with several smaller seeds. Pretty tasty but still a lot of green on the backsides in the bunches. We've had some minor storms running through for over a month with few sunny days. Today was the first in a week. I can't wait until I can complain about how hot it is. Tired of the cold.

20190510 180430
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

peppermint in there with would really be a big advantage,especially for summer,im keeping every thing in my big garden at bay with just neem oil for now,rain storm i had a week or so ago wiped out my corn,just finished pulling all of it this morn,getting a load of compost coming week and gonna give another shot before it too late,same with potato,i harvested 3 bags friday and went right back in with yukon golds,weird year here,never rains and had plenty all in 2 storms plus hail,5 first storm 7 last storm all i ten minutes,hahahah,dealing with storms is easier than bugs,lol

I gotta build raised beds for taters. My soil is clay and rock. I've been amending it with sand, dirty chicken straw, horse manure, compost and top soil for half a dozen years. Maybe in another 100 it will be decent.

Until we start getting sun the tomatoes and basil won't grow but we do get a meal of snap peas every week and lettuce. Thyme, oregano, sage and rosemary are all established. Parsley is old and flowering. Cilantro is new and onions several months, self seeding from three I planted last year and they're producing seeds again and twice as many.

Every farmer here should at least have a cherry tomato in a pot and a few herbs. They're easy if you can grow weed.

1. Tomato, Celebrity
2. Thyme
3. Oregano
4. Sage
5. Rosemary
6. Parsley
7. Onion parents
8. Lettuce
9. Snap peas

20190512 102057
20190512 102558
20190512 102553
20190509 134935
20190512 102617
20190512 102548
20190509 134916
20190408 101743
20190512 110816
Ina

Ina

Every farmer here should at least have a cherry tomato in a pot and a few herbs. They're easy if you can grow weed.
Wonderfull garden you have!True, I started to enjoy gardening very much after I grew MJ,now I help granny with her garden(in fact we argue about how to manage it haha)and i have mine for experiments.I was planting roses yesterday in my city garden.Granny has lots of opium plants(we call it mak) and she didn't know that hahaha We were arguing about my illegal marihuana plants and i told her"granny what about your opium"hehehe Did you know it is forbidden and you are outlaw too:D She thinks that's just a flower:)

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I gotta build raised beds for taters. My soil is clay and rock. I've been amending it with sand, dirty chicken straw, horse manure, compost and top soil for half a dozen years. Maybe in another 100 it will be decent.

Until we start getting sun the tomatoes and basil won't grow but we do get a meal of snap peas every week and lettuce. Thyme, oregano, sage and rosemary are all established. Parsley is old and flowering. Cilantro is new and onions several months, self seeding from three I planted last year and they're producing seeds again and twice as many.

1. Tomato, Celebrity
2. Thyme
3. Oregano
4. Sage
5. Rosemary
6. Parsley
7. Onion parents
8. Lettuce
9. Snap peas
we got 8 jars each of snap beans and squash done yesterday,mama been waiting to can,that way she dont have to help out in the garden hahahah,you should just try your potato's in huge bags,i get them contractor bags 33gal from home depot,i mix half manures and half peat moss,they like 5.5 to 6.5 ph best ,so your used soil from your grows is ideal,anyway they are easier to grow this way,less back work,take a knife a split it right down the middle and get your spuds,i just finished 3 bags of red norlands,i didnt think they would make at all,i got caught with 3 days of below frezzing and burned all my tips,so i cut them to ground level and they just came right back,ive got to rebuild all my raised beds this summer,mine are blowing out ,i just used fencing material when i built them,tried to stake um in and found nothing but rock,so rebar about 6in soil is all i got ,so im going to rebuild um all,at the feed store they have these water trawfes made of galvanised ,the bottoms are out of them you probally seen before,they are pricey but would safe my back better for sure,did a slurry on my corn bed,running 7.5 so put 4 bails of peat moss on yesterday,ground so damn wet from that last storm couldnt turn it in,maybe couple days,but your taters you can grow them in straight peat or saw dust,i dont like to feed outside so i added compost for feed,and just feed um somthing high in p and k every week,my biggest problem was they flowered to early and the rain didnt do any favors for them,had 3 bags lay on down and not enough taters for the time i put in them,i got 6 18 gal totes 2 in a 55 gal barrel i split in half and 1 more 33 gal bag left they rocking,then i got 10 33 gal bags lined down the fence in the bottom garden with sweet potatos going

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Wonderfull garden you have!True, I started to enjoy gardening very much after I grew MJ,now I help granny with her garden(in fact we argue about how to manage it haha)and i have mine for experiments.I was planting roses yesterday in my city garden.Granny has lots of opium plants(we call it mak) and she didn't know that hahaha We were arguing about my illegal marihuana plants and i told her"granny what about your opium"hehehe Did you know it is forbidden and you are outlaw too:D She thinks that's just a flower:)
wild lettuce isnt regulated,they dont know how it grows so they cant reg it,my gosh i tried to smoke some for my back pain,oh hell didnt get one hit in the lungs hahahah,i have seeds and roots on hand lmao

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I'm cheking it,wondering if we have it here:)"grows taller....."O,it helps for that?!:D
"excessive sex drive in women (nymphomania)"
i bet if you look up the plant on google ,you will find you been mowing them down in your yard and or pastures,take my advice make tea with the leaves and roots,it taste like straight up shit,how do i know that ,cause if you have animals and you weed wack,if you dont keep that mouth shut,you gonna eat shit haahah,best methoid for weed wacking is dont look up and hit nothing but grass and you will be done quicker than you think,ohh and regaurdles how hot you are keep that mouth shut,im telling yaa,lmao

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I'm cheking it,wondering if we have it here:)"grows taller....."O,it helps for that?!:D
"excessive sex drive in women (nymphomania)"
ive never tried cbd strains,plan on it though,but the tea from it works pretty good for pain,best at bed time,havent noticed the superman theroy with it yet,hahahahah
forgot to add this,you can overdose on the wild lettuce,thats why it pisses the gov off,they cant find in studies why it has the same effect as opium,like the meds we grow,its a weed,or meds can be scientificly studies,the wild lettuce cant,grows wild as hell and a nusiance for most folks, lactuca virosa is the name of it,arent many seed dealers that sale it,found it online and went for it,got some more comfrey too,i got plenty of stinging nettle it is a pain in the ass i mow the shit down just when it starts to flower so it dont drop seeds,the more you mow it the thicker it gets,trick to controling any weed is hit it before flower,and it will die off from not pollinating if you dig

Last edited:
lunarob

lunarob

Loquat. Kinda like an apricot with several smaller seeds. Pretty tasty but still a lot of green on the backsides in the bunches. We've had some minor storms running through for over a month with few sunny days. Today was the first in a week. I can't wait until I can complain about how hot it is. Tired of the cold.
would switch with you on the temperature bias anyday cause it's going to be nonstop bitchin about heat and humidity and mosquitos... I'm such a wuss. yeah.. haven't had a loquat since picking them as an 80's kid.

Ina

Ina

if you dont keep that mouth shut,you gonna eat shit haahah
That's a major rule in life:)My husband also telling me something similar from time to time hahaha
I don't know why but I love weed waking,i just bought that trimmer these days and i'm trimming everything,I also like to cut and shape plants.You are right about that,you have to cut the weeds before they flower and drop seeds.Like that plant-Lilac,it is just awful ,takes over everything…...

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

That's a major rule in life:)My husband also telling me something similar from time to time hahaha
I don't know why but I love weed waking,i just bought that trimmer these days and i'm trimming everything,I also like to cut and shape plants.You are right about that,you have to cut the weeds before they flower and drop seeds.Like that plant-Lilac,it is just awful ,takes over everything…...
i live on a rock,2.5 acres,none can be mowed,i do the whole thing in quaters yearly,with a weed eater,takes me 2 and half days to finish,closer around the house gets it weekly ,keeps all the snakes and stinging ,biting critters be gone,if you have snake problems take away there comfort zone,they dont like being in the open, they become prey at that point,lmao,hell ever time i pick that whacker up to mow it all outside my barrier,i adverge 5 to 6 snakes a day,terrible problem down south,last year mama tore my ass up because we were setting here watching tv and damn snake was lating there in middle of the floor watching tv too,oh lord id dint know if i was gonna die from the shock of it or laughing at this old hen going crazy hahahah

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

i live on a rock,2.5 acres,none can be mowed,i do the whole thing in quaters yearly,with a weed eater,takes me 2 and half days to finish,closer around the house gets it weekly ,keeps all the snakes and stinging ,biting critters be gone,if you have snake problems take away there comfort zone,they dont like being in the open, they become prey at that point,lmao,hell ever time i pick that whacker up to mow it all outside my barrier,i adverge 5 to 6 snakes a day,terrible problem down south,last year mama tore my ass up because we were setting here watching tv and damn snake was lating there in middle of the floor watching tv too,oh lord id dint know if i was gonna die from the shock of it or laughing at this old hen going crazy hahahah

Found this king snake in my hallway a few years ago. Wife and cats freaked out. I put him outside to help with the mice.

I wish I had a large aquarium, I would have kept him. Beautiful sanke.

20170820 112602

Latest posts

Top Bottom