Slow Growth ,Slight Wilt, And Wrinkles ??? HELP!!!

  • Thread starter MCDOOGLE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PK1

PK1

Supporter
3,407
263
it measures 2.7 in the 2.7 solution. maybe my understanding of rockwool isnt correct or im overthinking it myself . by the last watering i should have 10% runoff correct?? i dont know where i heard that but it sounded right to me and i figured it would be a start. that's what i based my volumes on really once i moved them into the 4" cubes. my understanding of it may be leading to excess dry backs causing tension in media and high ec runoff. when i upped the volumes it wasnt enough and pushed everything to bottom of cube is my guess. man what a ride!!! but its enjoyable to say the least . im going to figure out if you can overwater rockwool today and ill let you know lol!!
you can't really overwater rockwool because the water drains from it. your 10% run off is correct and im sure @tobh can explain better than i do but don't over think it too much.
Just let it drain until the reading is the same as going in.
 
PK1

PK1

Supporter
3,407
263
here is my journal if you like to follow.

This one is @Dirtbag journal and you can find allot of beneficial information. His grow is what inspired me to switch to rockwool
 
tobh

tobh

Supporter
4,120
263
correct, you can't really overwater rockwool. it can become waterlogged but your volumes aren't anywhere near the level that would cause that. at the feed rate you're at, you're going to see that high of EC in the media, you can likely get away with pulling back a bit, like down to 1.2ish EC for your input. Keep an eye on those leaf spots, that looks like the start of calcium def to me, which it might've been locked out due to the lack of the plant's ability to transpire before you fixed the temps and RH.

if you have an android phone, download the vpd calculator app and play with the numbers so you know where to dial in your environment. it's much easier than trying to follow those charts which are more geared towards greenhouses and don't account for leaf surface temperatures which is a pivotal metric for dialing VPD.
 
tobh

tobh

Supporter
4,120
263
at this stage, don't let the cubes dryback more than 80%. Meaning, from field capacity right after a fertigation event, the blocks should not be allowed to use/lose more than 20% of that initial volume. Hand watering will be tricky to get this right, it would be better to have automation in place so you could have your shots scheduled at consistent intervals throughout lights on period to ensure the media stays in the sweet spot.

Grodan has some fantastic information on their site about scheduling events, I highly recommend you read it, especially if you're going to move to slabs. Having events that deposit 3%-5% of total media volume is ideal, and will ensure you get 10%-15% runoff throughout the day which should keep the pH and EC more consistent in the media, encouraging much more rapid growth. It's crazy how fast both can swing if you're not on top of proper fertigation.
 
M

MCDOOGLE

62
18
@PK1 ill definitley follow the journals I need to figure out how to start mine thanks for the support ill keep you updated
correct, you can't really overwater rockwool. it can become waterlogged but your volumes aren't anywhere near the level that would cause that. at the feed rate you're at, you're going to see that high of EC in the media, you can likely get away with pulling back a bit, like down to 1.2ish EC for your input. Keep an eye on those leaf spots, that looks like the start of calcium def to me, which it might've been locked out due to the lack of the plant's ability to transpire before you fixed the temps and RH.

if you have an android phone, download the vpd calculator app and play with the numbers so you know where to dial in your environment. it's much easier than trying to follow those charts which are more geared towards greenhouses and don't account for leaf surface temperatures which is a pivotal metric for dialing VPD.
ok ill move the ec down on the input makes sense. and ill grab that app thank you for the help i sure do appreciate it ill keep you all updated
 
M

MCDOOGLE

62
18
at this stage, don't let the cubes dryback more than 80%. Meaning, from field capacity right after a fertigation event, the blocks should not be allowed to use/lose more than 20% of that initial volume. Hand watering will be tricky to get this right, it would be better to have automation in place so you could have your shots scheduled at consistent intervals throughout lights on period to ensure the media stays in the sweet spot.

Grodan has some fantastic information on their site about scheduling events, I highly recommend you read it, especially if you're going to move to slabs. Having events that deposit 3%-5% of total media volume is ideal, and will ensure you get 10%-15% runoff throughout the day which should keep the pH and EC more consistent in the media, encouraging much more rapid growth. It's crazy how fast both can swing if you're not on top of proper fertigation.
ill def check out the info for sure slabs may be in my future vs bottom feeding . if it is locked out how do i fix that? flush? should i just nip them leaves now ??
 
tobh

tobh

Supporter
4,120
263
ill def check out the info for sure slabs may be in my future vs bottom feeding . if it is locked out how do i fix that? flush? should i just nip them leaves now ??
nah leave em there for now. you'll be taking em off later anyways. you fix the issue by identifying the root cause and correcting it. could be lighting, pH, EC, or environment. You fixed environment and are working on your EC so you just have to watch new growth now. If it persists it's likely lighting is too intense and you either need to up EC or dial back the lighting, preferably the latter. flushing through with solution at target EC and pH till runoff matches input is the course you take for corrective action.
 
PK1

PK1

Supporter
3,407
263
i think somewhere you mentioned that you would go with the drip system. Nutrient build ups does plug the drippers and i wouldn't use the drip system. Our ends are open end so that the water can get the rockwool wet. with valves you can adjust the pressure of the water so you can get adequate watering.
 
tobh

tobh

Supporter
4,120
263
like this:
(disregard the floppy bitch in the way. you can see the ball valve on the feed line there)
DSC 0322

DSC 0265
 
M

MCDOOGLE

62
18
nah leave em there for now. you'll be taking em off later anyways. you fix the issue by identifying the root cause and correcting it. could be lighting, pH, EC, or environment. You fixed environment and are working on your EC so you just have to watch new growth now. If it persists it's likely lighting is too intense and you either need to up EC or dial back the lighting, preferably the latter. flushing through with solution at target EC and pH till runoff matches input is the course you take for corrective action.
i have the roie720 at 340w at 36" I appreciate everything from everyone
 
M

MCDOOGLE

62
18
i think somewhere you mentioned that you would go with the drip system. Nutrient build ups does plug the drippers and i wouldn't use the drip system. Our ends are open end so that the water can get the rockwool wet. with valves you can adjust the pressure of the water so you can get adequate watering.
yes open line something to automate watering for a more controlled watering. good pics looks like your getting everything figured out on your side
 
M

MCDOOGLE

62
18
@tobh @PK1 @Anthem update today light controller has feature to mimic sunrise sunset so they are a lil droopy still bit getting better and I turned the light down a bit hoping that’s what’s causing yellow spots on leaves !!!
 
75777A78 F79F 42C2 8A2A 1D6FD0460E4D
tobh

tobh

Supporter
4,120
263
looking excellent! little dark so might drop the EC light we discussed before you start seeing burn but overall they're looking very healthy, albeit rubbing the crust outta their eyes atm.
 
M

MCDOOGLE

62
18
looking excellent! little dark so might drop the EC light we discussed before you start seeing burn but overall they're looking very healthy, albeit rubbing the crust outta their eyes atm.
LFG!!!!!!!Dropped the ec a bit and vpd still on point. they are taking off I can see the growth already! Thank you all for the help @PK1 @tobh
 
M

MCDOOGLE

62
18
@PK1 @tobh whats your opinion on temperature control or just find a speed to run your fan at constantly. With temp control Here are my fluctuations with lights off
humidity 60-70%.
Temperature 65-71
VDP .9-.8
I have Heater and humidifier in tent because conditioning the room isn’t do able for me right now. Maybe after this run will upgrade room. Is the fluctuation good or bad ?? Have yet to see if my setting for lights off work for lights on 2 more hours
 
06ED264E EFE8 4749 93D3 35C86FFBAC4E
4E51582A 0434 469A 83BB 62F51CCAEBD2
tobh

tobh

Supporter
4,120
263
lights off doesn't require one care about VPD. the plants aren't transpiring, they're sleeping, so as close to lights on environment as possible is ideal. VPD only matters when the lights are on.
 
M

MCDOOGLE

62
18
Update: getting vpd dialed in. Turned back ec to 1.0, still feeding 3 times a day with one straight RO water to 5.8 ph. Color calmed down a bit. Getting a little crowded will be giving them their own trays tonight . Run off is 1.5 -1.8 now.
FBBDBE7B E93B 4BBC BC55 23D122A35BBC
FBBDBE7B E93B 4BBC BC55 23D122A35BBC
FBBDBE7B E93B 4BBC BC55 23D122A35BBC
FBBDBE7B E93B 4BBC BC55 23D122A35BBC
38CD7AB9 4DA3 42EF 97CF 73CF2BDB5083
8EDEB370 99FF 4401 89C8 22172204721E
0D1891DE 6128 4A9A B81F A90FD3358530
 

Similar threads

hakop
Replies
3
Views
543
hakop
hakop
Ph 007
Replies
1
Views
272
Ph 007
Ph 007
X
Replies
0
Views
94
Xsoldiercloud
X
X
Replies
0
Views
64
Xsoldiercloud
X
I
Replies
23
Views
267
Ihavenoideawhatimdoing
I
Top Bottom